Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial: 3405 Build Tips!

jayrob

Battery modification for a 445 build! (see this sub heading below)

I get a lot of questions on how to modify the popular 3405 host for the driver connection...

So I put together a short 'picture tutorial' of how I like to do it.

There is more than one way to make it work. I hope these pictures will help to answer questions often asked... :)

3405%20tut%201.jpg

3405%20tut%202.jpg

3405%20tut%203.jpg

3405%20tut%204.jpg

3405%20tut%205.jpg

3405%20tut%206.jpg

Then it's just a matter of installing your driver, mounting your diode into your AixiZ module, soldering lead wires to your diode, and connecting your diode to your driver leads...

I like to complete the assembly in this order:

* Solder on lead wires to the diode
* Mount the module into the heatsink with the set screw
* And then solder my diode leads to my driver leads and insulate with heatshrink tubing

The AixiZ module does not need the back 'barrel' part of the module with a nice heatsink. Just the front 'business end' of the module is all you need...

The final retaining ring of the host holds the heatsink and assembly together...

Image2.jpg

There are two versions of heatsink styles available for this host.

I have kits available with pictures here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-mxdl-host-heatsink-combo-4171-3405-a-22512.html

The version 1 heatsink will give a little more room inside the host if you are going to be using a full length AixiZ module with the back barrel on. (such as with a rkcstr build)

3405%20tut%208.jpg

3405%20tut%207.jpg

V2 heat3.jpg

The 3405 host/heatsink basic combo is $38 dollars plus $6 dollars shipping. There are other options, including a driver 'Hot' option as shown in my thread linked above. Or I can also prep the host with the two lead wires as shown in this tutorial for an extra $10 dollar option...

Configurations:

For a blu-ray or red diode, you can use a FlexDrive and 3 X standard AAA batteries. (I like the Energizer e2 lithium primaries) But you could also use stardard AAA rechargeable batteries. (Sanyo eneloop are the best)

If you are using a rkcstr driver, or a DDL driver, you would use 3 X 10440 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries. (12.6 volts at full charge) But they won't be over 12 volts with a load on them...

A rkcstr can fit inside an AixiZ module if desired.

A DDL style driver can be built to fit inside the pill if you want...

blu-ray%20driver.jpg

P.S. This host fits a full length AixiZ module if you need it to. The version 1 heatsink style is recommended if you will be using a full length AixiZ module...

Battery modification for a 445 build:

Edit: DTR has found a perfect fitting, protected 22600 Li-Ion battery that will fit the 3405 perfectly with no modification! Here are some sources:

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=10622

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260617530567&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Otherwise, you can also follow the battery holder modification shown below as well...

This 3405 host will make a great 445 build if you simply set it up for 3 X 10440's in parallel...

This keeps the voltage at 4.2 (fully charged), but triples the capacity of a 10440 battery! :)

It's really easy to modify the battery holder for this set up...

3405%20445%201.jpg

3405%20445%202.jpg

3405%20445%203.jpg

This will give you 4.2 volts... But 3 times the capacity of a single 10440 battery! :cool:

The host has a massive heatsink... The pill will make a roomy area for mounting your FlexDrive or Micro BoostDrive...

3405%20tut%207.jpg

V2%20heat3.jpg

If you order one from me with the 'Hot' option (driver installed), then I will solder the battery holder for this 'parallel' set up upon request for an extra $10 bucks...

No copper heatsink option for this one as of now, but the aluminum heatsink is plenty massive... :cool:

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

WOW i love your Host. i wish i could buy one like that but i cant buy things like that its to expensive into aus. so anyone got any ideas of a host i could buy from local shops?
cheers

I cant believe people are so dump they need this explained.

Thanks again jackass, you just keep on going don't you? You're like a rollercoaster.

Anyway, thanks Jayrob! That's my builkd he was making during this tutorial :D *favorited*

In his post calling anybody that needed help with this, really dumb was uncalled for, and he has been saying crap to me a lot, a lot of my posts get these kind of responces from him, HE is uncalled for. Sorry that you obviously can't understand that I felt a great offence with that post.

PS: I will +rep you if you can fully explain to me why my post was uncalled for, and his was.

jayrob

I cant believe people are so dump they need this explained.

Each host has it's own little differences, most are very similar. But the 3405 has that little wire that is 'pinched' between the board and the pill for the negative connection.

So it's a good thing to show for those who have not built this particular host...

Your right in that it is a very easy thing, and that it should be pretty much self explanatory. As you take the flashlight apart you can see how it is getting it's connections to the emitter.

Two little tips mainly with this one:

* The 'pinched' wire is easier to deal with if you solder it to the board first.
* Secure with 'dimples' in the pill at the edge of the board when you put it back in place. (see picture - first post)

Simple, but effective! :)

I remember when I first found this host, I didn't know about the wire until I bought the host, and took it apart. As shown in this thread when I first introduced this host back in Feb of 08': (the earlier 'first style' 4171's got the ground the same way)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/heres-another-great-blu-ray-host-26919.html

Last edited:
Hey Jay I really like this tutorial. I myself have problems with the 3405 builds sometimes and that wire can be tricky to get to stay.

Would it be alright if I put a link on my site to this tutorial?

thanks,
Kendall

Sorry for the negativity earlier. It seemed all to easy for me, and as you all know I'm not a super builder, or anything.

You've also called me a moron on multiple occasions, you're constantly finding another smart-ass way to insult me. You FULLY deserved that comment and more! But I do understand this forums animosity to strong vulgarity, so I held back. But there is a LOT that I was to say to you...

jayrob

bloompyle, I understand that your upset, but please take it to PM's instead of lashing out in this thread...

TJ apologized for his comment in this thread, and it's just better for the thread if you took it to PM's.

Thanks! :)

Jay..

These tutorials helped me build my first laser.
Thank you for these!