Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trying to decide what DSLR to buy! T4i or T3i

Hey guys I am trying to figure out what camera to buy so I can take better pictures of the lasers and shoot better video at the same time. I would like to have 60fps option for slow speed with the video, I don't know why it just really appeals to me. I am thinking the Canon Rebel T4i with STM lens

Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 18-135mm EF-S IS STM Lens: Camera & Photo

either that or a used t3i. Does anyone own one of these and could tell me how they like it and how well it is able to capture lasers.

Also I am one that likes to get the latest and greatest.... Is there anything I should hold off for?

Last edited:

Things

I wouldn't be too fussed over the 60FPS option, it really isn't that slow. Might be useful if you're going to be filming sports related stuff, but for just mucking around with, I wouldn't base my entire decision around that.

DJNY

I´m happy with my EOS 20D, they sell it for $150 locally :)

You don't need one of those to take good photos of lasers. I'd first practice with whatever camera(s) you already have and only when you know and understand what you're being limited by. Then buy a camera that fulfills your needs. If it's a matter of technique, or not knowing techniques, equipment won't be so beneficial to you. I generally like compact cameras for filming videos, as they're easier to work with compared to DSLRs that can be bulky. The compact cameras also take nice photos of lasers if you set them up right. The DSLRs shine if you need to capture more light than the compacts can capture, in a shorter amount of time; usually with lasers you have the luxury of time and setup, so a compact is just fine.

Also remember that when you buy a DSLR, you're buying into a family of lenses. You need to determine what lenses you'll want and need, and how much you want to spend on those.

either way you will be happy with the T3i or T4i. I've got the T2i and love it, might try and find a sucker to buy it so I can upgrade to one of these.

I wouldn't be too fussed over the 60FPS option, it really isn't that slow. Might be useful if you're going to be filming sports related stuff, but for just mucking around with, I wouldn't base my entire decision around that.

That is not my deciding factor i worded that wrong, I was just saying i would like it as a bonus too.

You don't need one of those to take good photos of lasers. I'd first practice with whatever camera(s) you already have and only when you know and understand what you're being limited by. Then buy a camera that fulfills your needs. If it's a matter of technique, or not knowing techniques, equipment won't be so beneficial to you. I generally like compact cameras for filming videos, as they're easier to work with compared to DSLRs that can be bulky. The compact cameras also take nice photos of lasers if you set them up right. The DSLRs shine if you need to capture more light than the compacts can capture, in a shorter amount of time; usually with lasers you have the luxury of time and setup, so a compact is just fine.

Also remember that when you buy a DSLR, you're buying into a family of lenses. You need to determine what lenses you'll want and need, and how much you want to spend on those.

Hmmmm so maybe I don't need to spend all of that. The cameras I use are my phone which has no settings and a sony cybershot DSC-H70 but it's not mine, also i would like better video. If i dont need a DSLR than I will gladly get a compact :) Can you guys recommend one?

Since I don't actually own one figured I should go all out so i wouldn't want to upgrade.

Last edited:

DJNY

Last edited:
Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera HX300| 50x High Zoom Camera | DSC-HX300/B | Sony USA

This looks pretty nice, it's available for preorder.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...e=UTF8&qid=1363564239&sr=1-3&keywords=sx50+hs - have this as a second cam, but for low light conditions, you have to look for a DSLR

But an older EOS cam with a 18-55nm is going to get you some very good results. For close-up shots I use this equipment
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/useful-cheap-equipment-macroshots-78409.html

This is now becoming even harder lol I thought it would help but now you guys are showing me all the good options out there!

Last edited:
I like my Canon Powershot S95, which I got to replace my S90. They're up to the S110 now I think, but the whole line is really quite nice. They have good quality fast lenses, and a somewhat larger sensor than some of the other compacts, which helps in capturing light.

I bought the S95 as a refurbished camera from Canon using their customer loyalty program and an old busted camera (for 10% off). It's actually a good way to get a Canon even if you want a DSLR. You just get some busted Canon camera and with it you get 10% off your refurbed camera. Call them up to see what is available.

I can get decent low-light shots with my compact; it just needs a tripod and you need to turn down the ISO. Even hand-held I can get decent photos depending on the conditions. It's like that with all digital cameras though. The DSLR may be better in lower light conditions, but it's still not that great, and either is going to take decent photos if you set them up right.

With the DSLR, remember that you need to buy the lenses in addition to the body. The lenses are what you really invest in, not the body, though having a nice camera body is always nice. DSLRs are bulkier than compacts (obviously), but will usually take better shots. Still, compacts take nice photos, are easier to take around, and are usually less expensive. I tend to use my compact camera far more than my DSLR.

Choose the camera that will fit your lifestyle. Good photos can be taken with virtually any camera as long as you learn good technique; the most important piece of equipment is behind the camera (you). You can always buy one later when you know more and feel the limitations of the one you have too. By then the cameras will be even better, or less expensive.

I like my Canon Powershot S95, which I got to replace my S90. They're up to the S110 now I think, but the whole line is really quite nice. They have good quality fast lenses, and a somewhat larger sensor than some of the other compacts, which helps in capturing light.

I bought the S95 as a refurbished camera from Canon using their customer loyalty program and an old busted camera (for 10% off). It's actually a good way to get a Canon even if you want a DSLR. You just get some busted Canon camera and with it you get 10% off your refurbed camera. Call them up to see what is available.

I can get decent low-light shots with my compact; it just needs a tripod and you need to turn down the ISO. Even hand-held I can get decent photos depending on the conditions. It's like that with all digital cameras though. The DSLR may be better in lower light conditions, but it's still not that great, and either is going to take decent photos if you set them up right.

With the DSLR, remember that you need to buy the lenses in addition to the body. The lenses are what you really invest in, not the body, though having a nice camera body is always nice. DSLRs are bulkier than compacts (obviously), but will usually take better shots. Still, compacts take nice photos, are easier to take around, and are usually less expensive. I tend to use my compact camera far more than my DSLR.

Choose the camera that will fit your lifestyle. Good photos can be taken with virtually any camera as long as you learn good technique; the most important piece of equipment is behind the camera (you). You can always buy one later when you know more and feel the limitations of the one you have too. By then the cameras will be even better, or less expensive.

I would like to start with a +1. Thank you for taking the time to break this down for me. Your right I am a photo newbie (wouldn't have started this thread if i wasn't!) so I gotta do some more research and look into this customer loyalty program. It seems like cannon is making some very good products by everyones recommendations so i will most likely look for one. You were also right about my lifestyle as i looked at the pictures of the rebel I don't think I would use it that much because of it's size, it looks like it could be a pain to haul around.

DJNY +1 for you too for awesome thread on close-ups

Thank you guys I will let you know what I get!

Another thing: one reason I chose the S90, S95 and would probably get one of the S1x0 cameras (like the S110) is because they utilize the largest sensor of Canon's line of compact cameras (1/1.7") with exception to maybe the G1X which is a specialized compact. The larger the sensor, the more light that is picked up; it won't be like a DSLR (you'd need something like a G1X to get closer), but everything helps. The Sxx series also sports fast lenses and other nice features (e.g. slow-mo, wifi connectivity, etc. on the S110) -- while not having the bulk of the G-series cameras. At $330 on Amazon, the S110 has a good price now, though because it's so new it probably won't qualify for the customer loyalty program.

I also like watching the price fluctuations of cameras on sites like Canon Price Watch (look at the graph on the bottom). With Nikon, I remember seeing the price of their products actually go up around Black Friday, so remember that if you think you're getting a good deal.

Good luck! I hope you get the camera you want.

Last edited: