Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"True 5mW" Green Laser Pointer from DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
True 5mW Green Laser Pointer from DX

Intro
Yes I know there are a million "True 5" reviews out there. I'm writing this one so I can reference to it when I make the Youtube video. I enjoy writing reviews on lasers that I like.

The Basics
This laser is powered by two AAA batteries. Advertised power is <5mW, so this meets FDA regulations. That means DX can ship this laser to you (if you are in the US) unlike most other lasers on their site. Because this is only claimed to be 5mW, don't expect to be doing burning tricks with this. This is really only meant to be used as a presentation pointer or just for safely pointing around the house.

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping took about three weeks from China, but shipping from DX is free so I won't complain. It came in a white presentation box:
five1.JPG

As you can see, it has a spot for the laser and two AAA batteries. It came with two cheap AAAs that surprisingly worked in the laser, although Eneloops proved to work better.
five2.JPG

Overall Appearance/Feel
This laser feels very heavy for its size! Compared to my 170mW CNI this thing feels like a block of lead. To me this is a big plus because it feels sturdier, but some don't like this heavy feeling.
five3.JPG

Aperture shot of the laser, in this picture you can see that the warning label is peeling up a little. It came like that, so I secured it with some superglue. I like warning labels on my lasers because they look cool. :cool:
five4.JPG

The switch has a manly click on it that actually takes pressure to push down. Big plus in my book. ;D

Visibility
For being a 5mW rated laser, this thing is bright! Almost too bright actually...this thing would be binding if I tried to use this laser in a presentation. Although I haven't had this laser metered, I would guess this laser is putting out ~15mW compared to other metered lasers I have.
five5.JPG

Here is a long exposure shot I took that is a good representation of the beam at night.
five8.JPG

Here is a shot of the aperture while the laser is on:
five6.JPG

Another thing I noticed is that this laser has great beam divergence. I haven't measured it but it is better than most of my green lasers.

Internals
The laser unscrews into two pieces for changing the batteries. The threads are a little squeaky but at least the contact is good.
five7.JPG

I'm sure most of you know about the unsupported PCB problem in most NewWish pointers, but it looks like they fixed the problem. When I looked down into the laser it looked like a resistor helps keep the board from being bent down during operation.

I couldn't get any PCB shots because this laser is VERY hard to take apart and it would be a waste of time to tear this apart for a couple circuit pictures.

IR Filter?!
This laser looks to be IR filtered, so this would be great for people with IRphobia.

Overall
For $10.50, this laser is a steal. This makes a great first laser to a newbie who hasn't experienced green before.

Video

Last edited:

styropyro said:
"True 5mW" Green Laser Pointer from DX

IR Filter?!
This laser looks to be IR filtered, so this would be great for people with IRphobia.

Overall
For $11.75, this laser is a steal. This makes a great first laser to a newbie who hasn't experienced green before.

Video
***Coming Soon***

Thanks for your review, you earned one rep.
I like the fact that thing was around 18$ no so long ago.

Hopefully i aint IRPhobia but only Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia OH SHIT DID I JUST SAY IT?

Rangedunits said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1238970052/0#0 date=1238970052]"True 5mW" Green Laser Pointer from DX

IR Filter?!

Overall
For $11.75, this laser is a steal. This makes a great first laser to a newbie who hasn't experienced green before.

Video
***Coming Soon***

Hopefully i aint IRPhobia but only Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia OH SHIT DID I JUST SAY IT?[/quote]
Thanks for the rep! Even when it was $18 I thought it was a good deal because I was used to buying Leadlights for $50. ;D

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" isn't that the fear of big words or something? :D

wow.... the 5mw is about equal in brilliancy..!! I am myopic[/b...and i don't see very well the red beam of my dilda... but other friends... YES. i think that i could see BETTER this 5mw green than my dilda... XD . i have a question......if i would buy che cheapest beam expander sold at dragonlaser... how could i fit it with these dealextreme laser pen?is possible?

realista said:
wow.... the 5mw is about equal in brilliancy..!! I am myopic[/b...and i don't see very well the red beam of my dilda... but other friends... YES. i think that i could see BETTER this 5mw green than my dilda... XD . i have a question......if i would buy che cheapest beam expander sold at dragonlaser... how could i fit it with these dealextreme laser pen?is possible?

This laser has a much brighter beam than my dilda even though the dilda has a slightly brighter dot.

I don't have a beam expander from Dragonlasers, but I do know that this laser from DX is just a tad bit bigger in diameter than the viper series lasers that Dragonlasers sells. I don't know why you would need to expand the beam on a 5mW green laser though, the beam would appear much dimmer from up close.

styropyro said:
[quote author=Rangedunits link=1238970052/0#1 date=1238971291][quote author=styropyro link=1238970052/0#0 date=1238970052]"True 5mW" Green Laser Pointer from DX

IR Filter?!

Overall

Video
***Coming Soon***

Hopefully i aint IRPhobia but only Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia OH SHIT DID I JUST SAY IT?[/quote]
Thanks for the rep! Even when it was $18 I thought it was a good deal because I was used to buying Leadlights for $50. ;D

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" isn't that the fear of big words or something? :D[/quote]

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanocanosis. ;D

I probably spelled it wrong, but I made it a point to learn the longest word in the dictionary a long time ago. :D

Google say that it is spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis. ;D

Great review man, motivated me to get a few for my buddies. ;)

+1 Great pics too ;)

Ever since this review, I have gotten about 10 more of these in seperate orders. In the last one, I've noticed some small changes. (sorry for crappy pics)

First, the warning labels are a little bit bigger and have a green beam:
070109%20001.jpg

070109%20002.jpg

The buttons are a little bit lower to the barrel compared to the older true 5's, it is hard to see this in the picture though:
070109%20003.jpg

The two new ones I have are more powerful than almost all of my older True 5's, which were overpowered to begin with!
070109%20004.jpg

I don't have any exact power measurements because I don't have a meter :(

If you would like, I'd be happy to do a power graph of one of these on my Laserbee LPM - PM me if interested!

If you would like, I'd be happy to do a power graph of one of these on my Laserbee LPM - PM me if interested!
Which one should I send you? I have 8 working ones, should I just send you the most powerful one? Thanks for the offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.