Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Traveling to Canada with my Lasers

Ok, so dad and I are taking a big summer trip up to Banff, Canada to do some backpacking for a week in the Canadian Rockies. My deal is that i would like to bring my pointers so i can shine them up in the crystal clear nights sky without any light pollution around. I am worried about them getting taken from me at customs though. Does anyone have experience with this? I have a 300mW red, 35mW green, and a 150mW Violet/Blu-ray. Should i pack them in my checking luggage or bring them in on my carry-on? Should i straight up not even try to bring them for sake of a TSA bum wanting some free new laser pointers? The green and blu-ray have danger stickers on them with the mW clearly showing. Should i remove the stickers so they will think that all my pointers are just low powered and maybe for business or school presentations?

Anything helps here.

-Paul

Put them in your luggage and you should be fine. I have no experience with getting lasers onto a plane, but I doubt a pen style laser will be seized or even noticed in the luggage you check in.

D

Dr.LaSeR

on my country customs dont take lasers but my country airport take any laser Even if that 1mw red laser !

Hide em in your pocket  the metal detector wont ring  ( i had my cni and i did go trought a metal detector in  a bar )so you just remove battery and keep em on carry-on.
Also inside your lasers you can hide cocain but you have to take battery out.

Or

Mail them to your hotel.

no canada customs have no law about importing lasers.Been there its pretty cold.

daguin

jamilm9 said:
no canada customs have no law about importing lasers.Been there its pretty cold.

Coming back into the US could be a different matter . . . .

Peace,
dave

JLSE

I would put them in your stowed luggage, remove the batteries put them in a case with an astrology notebook or something and not say a word. There was another member here a while back who felt it was a good idea to inform the customs official that he had a laser, it didn’t work out too well. My father in law brought me a couple of switch blades back from Italy (post 9-11) in his carry on at that. He wrapped them in aluminum foil to change the shape on the x-ray. The less you say the better, and some 5mw stickers wouldn’t hurt either.

I've got an idea... Put the lasers in a metal thermos (The kind you put hot drinks in). That way you don't have to worry about them checking it and it'll keep the lasers insulated if the luggage area isn't heated.

so its looking like maybe this isnt a great idea to take them with me...

are you allowed to carry them onto planes?

TheGr8Revealing said:
so its looking like maybe this isnt a great idea to take them with me...

are you allowed to carry them onto planes?

If you think you're not allowed to have to them in your luggage, you do think it's ok however to carry them on your person? :eek:

no one has flown into the US with lasers before??? i dont think i'll have a problem getting into canada... you could get anything into that country.

200th post by the way.

Maven

i really wouldn't worry about having them in the check in luggage but ... i don't think i would try to carry it onto the plane ...
i mean you can even pack knives and such in luggage without anyone saying anything

oh and taking the batteries out and the stickers off i think would be a good idea too ... just incase they did look at them ..

wouldn't be too funny if customs guy put his eye out with your laser thinking it was low powered

I think the baggage scanner machines have scanners that send heavier particles through the baggage to see through even metal-shields.  You might have some weird questions to answer for if they find a device inside your thermos.

If they look like regular laser pointers, I would put them in a pen-holder thing of a notebook or a backpack, and DO NOT pack them with batteries.  In fact, I wouldn't have batteries anywhere near them.  You don't want the TSA official to be able to turn them on, burn his hand, or see some "weird" purple laser color which might scare him into thinking it's dangerous.  

If you have some non-laser-pointer looking lasers, I would check it.  Remove the batteries, put it in your checked bag, and maybe put it in one of those laser pointer boxes.  Remember that checked luggage can contain virtually anything within reason--knives, guns, lasers, whatever--so long as they are properly packed and not dangerous (live ammo, chemicals, etc. are not allowed).  The goons in the airport will not know FDA regulations or whatever, and the more "consumer product" something looks, the better.

artix

OK, get a cheap pencil case, put your lasers in there, then fill the case with metal pens! :D