Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Torn

Should I go for it, or walk away with a clean conscience?

• Go for it!

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Walk away

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Trying to make up my mind about something and I thought I'd ask the opinion of the forum. Here's the situation: Linkedin keeps sending me a job recommendation for an engineering position at a rapidly growing laser company that happens to be within driving distance of my home. They've been sending me the same job for ~ 5 weeks now with ever higher pay offers. A former co-worker is now an engineering lead there and I suspect from our conversations they may be targeting me for the job based on their recommendation.

The starting pay they're now offering is almost twice what I make now. Close to 200 kilodollars/year. And the job itself sounds like soooo much fun. Building and testing multi-kilowatt prototype fiber laser systems and developing them for production. But here's the catch, the work is being done for the DoDs directed energy weapons systems program.

While I'd love to spend my time playing with absurdly high power lasers I don't wanna do it for the DoD. But, but, but, so much $$$

So, whaddya think folks?

Encap

Go do an interview with them and see/explore more about what you will be doing and working with/on and how long they expect the job/contract to run and so on. Ask any question you have. See what you think after that.

I wouldn't worry about the DOD aspect they are going to do whatever they do with or without you---they fund a lot of R,D,T, and E programs--one thing is for sure their checks never bounce +where it all goes and how it ends up is unknown--maybe somewhere, maybe nowhere.

The double money/pay sounds very good/great -- if you don't like the job you can always move on to something you like better +. will look good on resume. You will be able to demand much higher pay based upon this jobs pay rate. That someone will pay you that much is proof you are worth that much, in a manner of speaking.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm going to say go for it. Its a big opportunity for you. To be frank, laser weapons is an inevitable application. Rather than look at the negatives look at the positives. You could save lives, as they will be used to save vessels and aircraft from attack. Also could potentially be used later to save against the new hypersonic missiles Russia have developed. Yes, I'm with you. Would I want to put my name on a military project. Not at first thought.

Anthony P

You obviously have a conscience. The research needs people like you.
I have said before that, as a rule, it is easier to destroy than create. Lasers are the exception to this rule. Lasers make exceptional tools but poor weapons.
A great deal of mankind's benevolent technology started out as military research. Without the Manhattan Project, we would not have the clean and efficient nuclear energy that we enjoy today. Look, too, at the countless medical applications. Another example is missile research that has led to modern space exploration. Space research benefits people's everyday lives in ways that could fill volumes.

The fact that you are asking these questions means you are the right person for the job.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You obviously have a conscience. The research needs people like you.
I have said before that, as a rule, it is easier to destroy than create. Lasers are the exception to this rule. Lasers make exceptional tools but poor weapons.
A great deal of mankind's benevolent technology started out as military research. Without the Manhattan Project, we would not have the clean and efficient nuclear energy that we enjoy today. Look, too, at the countless medical applications. Another example is missile research that has led to modern space exploration. Space research benefits people's everyday lives in ways that could fill volumes.

The fact that you are asking these questions means you are the right person for the job.
Nice way of putting it

Truth is the DOD will get it done no matter what so why should you deny yourself ?
Also they are building systems to protect America as well as the sons and daughters of Americans who could be in harms way.
As long as you feel you can give your best efforts then I would say embrace this opportunity, however if you feel your ethics might get your way then maybe reconsider, that feels fair to me, but I expect once you get hands on you will emerge yourself in the work and do a great job, don't you think so too ?

Good high paying quality jobs are few and far between, especially during this ongoing pandemic.

As others have said, try not to focus so much on what negative ways this technology could be used and instead look at the good side of it! :)

Good luck!

-Alex

It's okay to "sell out" to better yourself. And you're not an immoral person for working for the DoD.

Go and make that money! Get paid to play with high powered laser!

And then if you feel so compelled, dedicate your time afterwards to work on helping your community or the world with the knowledge and experience you gain from this opportunity.

But if you feel strongly against working for the DoD, I completely understand can relate to that.

I have a feeling I will be in a similar situation as you WizardG, seeing how physicists have been utilized in the past by the US government...

Either way, I believe that you'll make the right choice for yourself whichever way the wind blows :)

SEVERAL great replies-- It would drive me crazy to not take the 'leap'
woulda-coulda -shoulda. best wishes whatever you choose..

hak

I would say go for it, even if it's a step on a ladder which may be before a step down. if you've BEEN paid 200k/pa then its incentive for better pay from other companies in the future which may align better with your conscience.

All that being said, this is several months later. Did you take it?...

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I shot them a resume and did an interview but long story short I waited too long to apply. Oh well, my current gig doesn't suck and the pay allows me to fantasize not too unrealistically about how to coil a pumped fiber laser into a lightsaber handle....

Commander J. Bloodmaker

Trying to make up my mind about something and I thought I'd ask the opinion of the forum. Here's the situation: Linkedin keeps sending me a job recommendation for an engineering position at a rapidly growing laser company that happens to be within driving distance of my home. They've been sending me the same job for ~ 5 weeks now with ever higher pay offers. A former co-worker is now an engineering lead there and I suspect from our conversations they may be targeting me for the job based on their recommendation.

The starting pay they're now offering is almost twice what I make now. Close to 200 kilodollars/year. And the job itself sounds like soooo much fun. Building and testing multi-kilowatt prototype fiber laser systems and developing them for production. But here's the catch, the work is being done for the DoDs directed energy weapons systems program.

While I'd love to spend my time playing with absurdly high power lasers I don't wanna do it for the DoD. But, but, but, so much $$$

So, whaddya think folks?
If you looked at me, you'd think I'm a retarded redneck. If you hung out with me while drinking ( rare, 1-3 times a year), you'd think I was an intelligent redneck. If you got to know me, you'd realize I may seem somewhat insane, But I'd never spill to the D.O.D. what I know and can do. I have standards, I refuse work from corporations and government. I have standards. I'm currently The lead machinist/Fabricator where I work. They know I'm extremely underpaid, I know I am. The perks of a mom and pop shop, far out weigh any money the gov could ever pay me to be their slackie. I get free scrap, when we upgrade shop equip., I get free saws and mills etc, that need minor parts to repair them. Just recently received ( free, because I asked about it) a $8000 saw, supposedly broken. It cost me $40 to fix. Before I babble to long, what I am saying is, if you aren;t comfortable working for them types of jobs, don't. You will regret it when the stress level or whatever standard you set, you are lowering. Money ain't everything, peace of mind is.