Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tonight's project

Robk

Well, I had this diode from a DVD burner that has a miserable beam (another post), and didn't want to waste a good flashlight to mount it in. I'll put my good diodes from SenKat in a suitable enclosure when I have time. So, I found a 2AA plastic battery case at Radio Shack and thought it may work. I used 1 AA to power the converter from a DX "Elly" (Thank you Greg!) through 1 ohm with another cap across the diode - which is mounted in an Aixiz housing. The momentary switch is from one of the DVD burners I cannibalized. Measuring the voltage across the resistor, I estimate 235mA going to the diode - a lot for such a small heat sink - but like I said this diode is horrible anyway, so it's just a cheap toy. It took about an hour and a half and a few beers to throw this thing together, burns tape very well, just has a very ugly beam shape. Thought someone may be interested in a little different approach for a little handheld laser. Here's some photos.
laser100.jpg

laser101.jpg

laser102.jpg

laser103.jpg

Rob

What did you enclose that in? I want to do mine exactly the same.

NVM I need to read more. lol Thanks for this post. I'm gonna do the exact same thing. :)

Things

ya that beam does look kinda strange???? great work though!! and it still burns!

Robk

Yeah, the beam is horrible, but it's hot. It's from a DVD writer that failed and I had to replace. The enclosure is Radio Shack 270-408 "AA" Battery Holder - Enclosed. The "Elly" driver board has to be slightly trimmed to fit, held in place with double-stick foam tape. Very simple, small, works well for a single AA powered laser.
Certainly not the best way to go, I prefer Daedel's LM317 current source, but like I said - this diode is not worth it! I have a few more "primo" diodes that will go into nicer enclosures.
Rob