Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Tonight meteor shower- cool

Yep. We should be able to see some tonight. But, significantly less than last night. :yabbmad:
perseids.jpg

There'll always be more meteor showers. I'm still mad I missed the 2001 Leonids, but in reality, you're never more than a few months away from another decent shower. I wasn't alive, but I can't imagine what the 1966 Leonids must've been like. It peaked at over 10,000 meteors per hour, maybe even up to 100,000 per hour! That's between 3 and 30 meteors per second!

I like to go for just the best ones, because I can't keep from getting bored if they're more than 5 minutes apart. But last night was great for me, one every minute or 2. Great "bursts" too, there was one 5 minute span where I saw ~10 meteors all in the same spot, all good brightness with trails. And the one awesome fireball alone was worth the drive to get out of town.

Last edited:
Last night was perfect for meteors, not a cloud in the sky. I kept on having to shut off the streetlight with a laser to keep my night vision though. The meteor shower was definitely the best I've ever seen, lots of good trails.

I just want to live to see a good meteor "storm".

Last night we had severe storms. :cryyy: At least the lightning was fun to watch.

Crap it's super thick fog tonight, I can't see anything. Oh well, >1W of 445nm look pretty though.

Last night was pretty awesome! There were around 10-20 awesome ones with big long tails. I'm glad I have a place long away from any large towns! Light pollution is bad! :barf:

I'm was out watching from 8:45 - 3 am central time.

Another little-mentioned benefit of LED lighting in our future:

LEDs are much more directional than other types of lighting, so LED streetlights aim more of the light they generate down and much less of it up, ending up in much less light pollution than more traditional lights like the common sodium lights.

Yay LEDs.

fogged in here . . . no dice . . . :(

yesterday was great until about 1:30AM when the fog came in . . .

Yeah I think last night was pretty good. I saw 4 very nice big ones in 10 minutes.

okay . . . got fogged out last night, what about tonight in NorCal 37x122 or something

Back