Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

TO-can opener

dbrown2k

So I thought I would share the design for a TO-can opener (for de-canning TO laser diodes etc.) that may be useful to people. It's a similar design to the Thorlabs WR1, but uses 3D printed parts and low cost components (total cost of components if you have access to 3D printer should be ~ $20).

The project page for this is here: [https://hackaday.io/project/25845-to-can-opener] and has the geometry STEP and STL files.

This is shared under the creative commons ShareAlike 3.0 license, so if anyone decides to modify / sell, the only requirement is to indicate attribution back to the original design, otherwise do what you want with it.

Last edited:

ElectricPlasma

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool concept, I might have to make one of these in the future. Have you made one yourself?

Thanks for sharing!

Benm

Yeah, $135 seems a bit pricey for a glorified pipe cutter indeed :)

Then again a pipe cutter could probably do the job as long as it can take narrow pipes like laser diode cans ;)

paul1598419

That's great. Could you show more of it in action? I'd like to see how it works. Not really obvious from your one photo.

Edit: Never mind. I saw it in your link.

Last edited: