Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TM36vnM: a Torch That Looks Like a Laser!

Vinhnguyen54, a great flashlight modder from Candle Power Forum, has modded for me the Nitecore TN36 flashlight:

TM36vnM Limited Edition - The 1M Lux Reflector Thrower

The result is amazing!

Here is the torch:

9fwfcN.jpg

KGbrSM.jpg

Here is some shots from my apartment building terrace:

SaPFZl.jpg

ZIvfob.jpg

xfcyB7.jpg

csBYj7.jpg

.. and this is a shot inside my sitting room:

iZHNn5.jpg

Unfortunately, the photos do not give enough justice, but I can assure you that is something of phenomenal.
The church belltower is about 300 meters far away from my home, and the top part was lighted like a stadium!
This thrower reach the astonishing power of 1 MLux !!!
The robustness of the torch and the generous custom battery pack offer a long duty cycle and a surprisingly extended autonomy.

Last edited:

Re: TN36UTvn: a Torch That Looks Like a Laser!

are you sure that's thing a flashlight? to me it look like a white laser through a beam expander...i bet you can burn stuff with that thing!!

i bet you can burn stuff with that thing!!

I remember seeing somewhere this was in the <1000lm category. The LED itself is only rated for 400-something, but it's being pushed very hard. That medium intensity over a large reflector area means very low power density (no burning).

How is this made? What LED?
Does anyone know how the Wicked Laser Torch is made?

The WL torch is a piece of junk by comparison... it wastes far too much energy as heat. You'd be far better off buying an xml led based light.

Would suggest looking at the TK61vn if you're after a reflector based thrower but don't want to break the bank as much. Personally I prefer the version modded with an xhp50, since you end up with a much wider, more usable beam.

Yup, actually the beam is very narrow, but since I have another modded torchlight with ultra-flood, joining both the beams I will have something spectacular :D

The WL torch is crap.
In my modest opinion actually the best HID torchlight is the Fire-Foxes FF4, which combine flood and throw in a perfect balanced manner. The colour is warm, similar to the Sun light, really nice.

I had the previous version of the FF4 and ended up selling it. Found LED based lights to be more convenient... no warm up time, and far more output levels to work with.

FF4 had some pretty spectacular throw, around 500kcd I think, which combined with ~5000 lumens and the beam shape was very nice. LED based throwers just don't illuminate as wide of a distance. Or if they do, you're losing pretty much all the range. Even with an xhp50 dedome in a tk61, the beam ends up looking far far more narrow vs an HID.

I thought I read somewhere that it was a 100 w halogen...yep that must throw off lots of heat!

I am just starting to learn about lasers but I would really like some good quality bright flashlights as well as a good headlight for working on electronics and for bike riding.

The other day I was in Home Despot and they have a bunch of flashlights for sale...one for like around $30 supposedly rated at 1000 lumens.

I found one that has three LEDs, a Defiant rated at something like 850 that was $10....runs on three Cs...I have to say that it is pretty powerful...not the best focus or throw but something I could get quick. (It has a high, low, and flash mode....I have not use for flash.)

So, do you guys build these things or buy them ready made?

Personally I mostly buy them, but lights are really not that hard to build, and LEDs are far more forgiving than laser diodes.

Suggest looking at zebralight for headlamps, and for Vinh's lights for modded throwers and flooders. K40M would be my top choice for a stock general use, non pocket flashlight.

Where is the best place to purchase these from?

I get a kick out of your signature: 20 minutes from NYC...now is that walking, subway, LIRR, Hudson, NJtransit, or PATH lol?

I grew up on West 82nd street. When I was around 8 years old I was reading a book my parents had called the Family Physician. It had a chapter on radiation poisoning as would occur from a fission bomb using the Empire State Building as ground zero in an air burst. So, that put me at around 2.5 miles definitely within the radii of destruction. I got in trouble in class because during one of those duck and cover drills I got upset and told the teacher that the windows would be blown in, that we would all die of radiation sickness, that I needed to go to the lowest place in the building, the basement, and turn off the boiler lol

I think you may be safe now!

20 minutes by car, using either GWB, or Lincoln tunnel :p

About an hour if I have to use NJ Transit & Path to cross over.

I suggest taking a look at Vinh's subforum on CPF: Vinhnguyen54

Can vouch for the quality of his work and customer service.

V54 Light List

If budget is not much of an issue, I'd suggest an X60vn, K40Lvn, M43vn, and TX25C2vn, and zebralights for headlamps. The H600Fw tends to be most people's favorite, personally I love the H602w, and the smaller H52/502 variants.

Given the capabilities of modern nuclear weapons, if NYC is hit, I'm quite screwed. Best I can hope for is a nice quick death... The AN602 nuclear bomb, aka the Tsar Bomba - Album on Imgur

I would hesitate to ask how many flashlights and lasers you have?
(off topic) I am trying to do my first two builds with two Krytons that Grainde GITDed for me.
However, forgot to order drivers and Lazeerer is AWL, Flamingpyro is out for vacation...DTR...does not have V6 what's a guy to do?

I know all about my favorite thermonuclear device which was originally designed for a 100 KT but was thought to be too dangerous...the sound went around the world several times as I recall....A nice Explosion

The colour is warm, similar to the Sun light, really nice.

Sunlight is 6500k. This is a cold white.

I got upset and told the teacher that the windows would be blown in, that we would all die of radiation sickness

The radius at which you receive a lethal dose of (ionizing) radiation is smaller than the radius of the fireball, and much smaller than the blast radius. In other words, if you're in a position to get a lethal dose of radiation, the fireball will vaporize you anyway.

Hmm, Lazeerer is normally the guy I went to for drivers :undecided:

I would hesitate to ask how many flashlights and lasers you have?

I stopped counting... probably 20 or so real flashlights, no idea about the lasers... Just have a drawer, pull one out as the mood strikes me. Haven't bought a new laser or flashlight for a while now though. Bit tempted to build a 6W, but just had my apartment repainted, and it would mean there would be quite a few new burn spots.

I've been meaning to do a flashlight sale for forever, might get around to to over next two weekends.

lol...this was a long time ago...around 1960
An R7 as I recall, 6 megatons, airburst empire state building...air blast 20 psi,both thermal 3rd degree burns and 500 rem...yep...best to go to the basement, bend over and kiss my....goodbye

@infinits....Home Despot Coast Headlight