Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Three Lasers, or one Big one?

I'm deciding on whether to get 3 lasers from o-like or one of their bigger green lasers.

This huge one. (i Realize the quality can't compete with Opto, laserglow, or novalasers) I do really want to replace the lens with a better one but that voids the warranty, maybe if I specify with Susan what I am going to do she will see?

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=931

or these three

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=971

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=913

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=869

I would also need to spend 30 dollars more when i buy three because I need to purchase glasses for the red laser.

What's your advice! thanks. Collectively my friend and I are spending around 800 from o-like

Morgan

Hi themandalorian,

I guess this is really only a question you can answer yourself. It depends on what you're going to use them for; star pointing, presentations, cat toy, or getting things really crispy! If you've done your reading in the, "Companies", section, (or asked your friendly, "Search", button for help), then you'll know that any product from O-like will be, at the very least, on spec and possibly above, (not something you can say about every company), so quality shouldn't phase you. Further reading will give you the knowledge you need to decide what power will satisfy you.

It has to be said that there is great satisfaction in building your own and the powers you are looking at in the last three suggestions are easily attainable for considerably less cash!

However, having said all this, if you AND your friend are spending money with O-like, buy one just a little better than theirs! It will then just be the start of an entertaining arms-race!!!

Whichever one you choose, right a review...

Good luck.

M:)

I'm deciding on whether to get 3 lasers from o-like or one of their bigger green lasers.

This huge one. (i Realize the quality can't compete with Opto, laserglow, or novalasers) I do really want to replace the lens with a better one but that voids the warranty, maybe if I specify with Susan what I am going to do she will see?

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=931

or these three

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=971

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=913

http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=869

I would also need to spend 30 dollars more when i buy three because I need to purchase glasses for the red laser.

What's your advice! thanks. Collectively my friend and I are spending around 800 from o-like

IMHO: Get the mid-sized green (250mW) and the red. Do you really need all that power?

Uhhh I would like to have one nice one. Red I'll also need to buy more goggles. and that power just sounds fun. If anyone has any experience with these lasers can youchime in :)

Uhhh I would like to have one nice one. Red I'll also need to buy more goggles. and that power just sounds fun. If anyone has any experience with these lasers can youchime in :)

If you've never owned a green laser I think you should start slowly, 250mW is a lot of power for a starter. You surely won't need more than that other than for burning things faster.

I've been handling my friends lasers and I want more :)

edit: I think I have settled on the larger one, thanks guys

Forget starting small. All the money you spend on cheap little lasers adds up... once you total the cost after a year or two you start to realize that all that money could have gone towards something better instead of ending up junked or torn up for parts.

I would suggest you keep looking and saving for something from LaserGlow or Opto.
The cheaper stuff is cool and all, but once you have ownedsomething manufactured to a higher standard, it's hard to step down.

I have an X105 from Nova that has been modified and realigned... it's outputting an average of 120mW and peaks at 130-140mW (on 1.3V NiMH). It outperforms my brand new O-like 150mW module after 2 years of use and abuse.

I have built several LOC and a couple LCC lasers with Dr. Lava's flex drive V4... they output >280mW and outperform a "Dilda" for about the same price.

Spend the extra cash to get/build something that will last and continue to impress you for more than a few months. You won't regret it.
;)

Last edited:

Eku

Instead of that "big laser" from o-like you could get a rpl-165.

Would an RPL be superior? I plan on attaching a lens from Larrydfw on my laser also for smaller beam divergence.

would an RPL really be better? I know the power in this is there, just the beam is fat, if i can get it down hopefully I can have a decent laser. I know its not near the quality of nova, and I don't necessarily feel like waiting a month for the group buy from CNI to get a cheaper price. I think this laser I'm getting this 300~350mW Handheld green laser IR Filtered£­>250~500mw Portable green laser£­>Laser&lighting products£­>www.0-like.com with a new lens and a beam expander, IF i can find one that is cheap and will fit down the line.

Jayrob did a review and was pleased but did not it isnt the same as opto, and I realize that.

Thanks for helping me out though guys. maybe once I get out of high school and college and get a job I'll come back for the pricier stuff. :) Or maybe I'll get so obsessed with this I'll get an Opto for christmas

Eku

Your not going to be able to attach that lens to it, there coated for 405nm and green it 532nm also you'd loss power and the difference would not be worth it.

I'd rather get a rpl-200 for an extra 100, o-like gurantees only 300mw so with an rpl-200 they gurantee 200 but they've been known to have been very over-spec.

Why buy a 200mw laser for $100 that will last for a month when you can buy a 200mw for $200 that will last for a year that all. :D

Damn I thought they also sell green laser lens. Do they?

On one hand I don't want to dissapoint my friend, and on the other hand it is a lot of money

1. I could buy now, hopefully see if there's a better lens or if something like a melles griot beam expander fits on
2. I could wait and do the group buy cni laser order and get everything cheaper than the other places, and if my friend had patience and bought as well maybe the price would be very good.
3. I could wait and see if a sale comes up at any of the three laser stores
4. I find a good deal in the forums for a laser.
5. I could be swayed and buy a different laser. Still the prices are insane to me, who does have a job but is not working a lot right now. I mean is a 165mw green laser from optotronics really going to be better than even that 350mw with a 3x beam expander for around the same price ( I can get the price down to the same)

Ahhh I'm so confused. Sorry I'm sucha noob guys. I just don't have anything but the forum to base my decisions as no one I know has an rpl, cni, or this laser o-like sells

Thanks, can some senior members help me :) id gladly make a donation

Sorry to double post, I can't edit my post on this crappy browser my phone has, ill delete this post and edit tomorrow, anyways about finding a good deal. I just saw that CNI laser, 600mw go for 600 shipped! OMG, and I just saw someone have a 30x beam expander. WOW, how good is that for burning?

Eku

Well do you want a cheap laser or an expensive one?

Do you want it to burn stuff?

How powerful do you want it to be?

D

Deleted member 8382

i would go for the big one if you are going to buy more in the future or the three littles if you plan to finish here with lasers (something you should never think in :D)

Well I want a good amount of power and I do want to burn stuff. In past hobbies I've learned starting small just wastes your money. And all that money you wasted you could have gotten something much nicer.

250mw+ minimum (hopefully)
I think the two cheapest options would be to do the CNI group buy, or buy the o-like and find a beam expander and a better lens(do larry and Jayrob sell lenses for green lasers?)