Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thor's Hammer First Light !

Finally I have first light with Thor's Hammer and the only thing I can say is DAM what a monster !!! Anything I point this thing at bursts into flames and most things make a little "poof" sound !:worthy:

This black surface is the plastic bottom of a fan that I've been using for target practice !

Last edited:

Congratulations, it lives.
Did you heat sink your driver well? Some people sink the 8 pin chip or sink the chip to the housing, I sink my chip to the housing and pot the driver as well.
Also minimum driver voltage is 6.8v if you are running an SXD so remember to keep your 2 cells upwards of 3.6 to account for sag. With 3 cells you can go lower.

Last edited:
I bought a DTR NUBM44 6+ Watt 450nm Diode In 25mm Copper Module W/Driver, The driver came pre wired and sinked to the copper module.....

Razako

Nice stuff! Looks like the beast has been unleashed XD

GSS

Really worth the wait:beer:
RedCowBoy, if Accu were to aim a small fan on that sink, just how much time do you think he can run it?:eg:

GSS

Not to hijack this thread but thanks for the reminder Alaskan, as i'm doing a Harbor Freight Tool run this morning. Adding it to my list:)

Accu would really like to see that especially with that made for cooling sink.:)

BobMc

She lives! :gj: Very nice looking laser. Have you got a chance to check out the run time with that heatsink? Really curious to know. She awesome looking :drool:

Edit; looks like I'm not the only one interested in the run time on that awesome sink. That's the difinition of awesome! :)

Last edited:
The limiting factor on how long this Hammer can run is def heat way before batteries if the air around it is static !

But after 2 minutes 11 seconds the heat sink was only just starting to get warm ! But it cools off fairly quickly just sitting in static air but put it in front of a lightly blowing fan and it would stay cool......

Every time you see a red flash that's the plastic catching on fire so quickly I move it to a different place and a second or two later "poof" a new flame ! But sometimes the flame just travels with the spot so I have to jump to a different place and then a second or two later "poof" the flames back ! Also notice that whenever there is a flame or already a flame that followed the spot you won't see any smoke coming from the spot, And remember this is with a Three Element Glass Lens and not a G-2 or G-7 which I will both have soon !

If you turn your volume up you can hear the "poofs" of ignition of the plastic, This thing is wild ! AND I'd like to Acknowledge DTR's laser Shop for making this one of a kind beast possible, Thanks Jordan !!!

Last edited:

BobMc

The limiting factor on how long this Hammer can run is def heat way before batteries if the air around it is static !

But after 2 minutes 11 seconds the heat sink was only just starting to get warm ! But it cools off fairly quickly just sitting in static air but put it in front of a lightly blowing fan and it would stay cool......

Every time you see a red flash that's the plastic catching on fire so quickly I move it to a different place and a second or two later "poof" a new flame ! But sometimes the flame just travels with the spot so I have to jump to a different place and then a second or two later "poof" the flames back ! Also notice that whenever there is a flame or already a flame that followed the spot you won't see any smoke coming from the spot, And remember this is with a Three Element Glass Lens and not a G-2 or G-7 which I will both have soon !

If you turn your volume up you can hear the "poofs" of ignition of the plastic, This thing is wild ! AND I'd like to Acknowledge DTR's laser Shop for making this one of a kind beast possible, Thanks Jordan !!!

Just don't burn the neighborhood down. :)

Last edited:
Really worth the wait:beer:
RedCowBoy, if Accu were to aim a small fan on that sink, just how much time do you think he can run it?:eg:

My finned NUBM44 would run the batteries down if I sat a little PC box fan behind it, without the fan it was good for about 2.5 - 3 minutes, summer or winter makes a 20 % difference or so.

I expect with forced air he could dissipate the 16 watts of waste heat as long as the batteries held up.

If run off a PS and with forced air it should run unlimited.

Fins are very efficient surface area multipliers, every surface is a heat vehicle, before the heat pipe radiators, projectors and PC's ran all day with forced air over fins.

p.s. The temp at which the dissipation rate reaches equilibrium depends on the ambient air temp, it would likely run in a house at 72F ambient air temp at about 99 - 110 F estimated, which is not unreasonable.

He has a lot of fin area, it may well stabilize dissipating the 16 watts of waste heat with a decent fan and stay below 99 F

55288d1489671511-thor-s-hammer-first-light-hh44a-2-.jpg

This sink is rated to handle a 20 - 100 w LED without forced air, likely at higher temp than we like, but with a small fan it would dissipate 16 watts like a champ. NUBM44 gets 4.5 amps in at 5 volts = 22.5 watts and puts out 7 watts of light and 15 watts of waste heat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-90x40mm...486f9dc&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=301167431181

Attachments

• hh44a (2).JPG
    hh44a (2).JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
If this heat sink is clean and has a good CPU fan blowing from the flat side and down threw it this heat sink can dissipate 136 Watt of thermal heat continuously and stay well bellow 85c or 185f ! That's a lot of heat !

I'll take some beam shots tonight but I don't have a great camera though.... :(

Just don't burn the neighborhood down. :)
Sure thing and can you do me a favor and remove the part of my quote about ~~~~~~~~~~, I don't want to give anyone a bad idea if you know what I mean ? :)

Last edited:

BobMc

Accutronitis; can you do me a favor and remove the part of my quote about ~~~~~~~if you know what I mean ? :)[/QUOTE said:
Sure, done, but if the need arises ?????

Last edited: