Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This setup sound good?

Hey forum, noob here...
i was able to build a simple 650 nm laser at 250mw, and wanted a greater challenge so i did some backround research and got my hopes to making a 445 laser, just like everyone else here...
Heres my setup:

a Power source of an 18650 2400mah battery from DX,
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/trust...h-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-20392

This driver circuit labeled for 1A, (please help me if this a bad choice, idk if a LM317 driver is recommended higher, since im only using one 18650 battery (twos fine if its a better choice): https://www.dealextreme.com/p/18v-5w-cree-circuit-board-for-flashlights-16-8mm-5-5mm-26110

A Heatsinked modual and 445nm acrylic lens from modwerx: Laser module w/ heatsink and AR coated glass lens (405-450nm) - $12.99 : Modwerx Shop

and The 1W 445 diode from modwerx also.

Having it inside of a flashlight host is no concern to me right now, i just want to get it working and then ill worry about how shmexy it looks :)

but if i am doing any thing wrong, please help me out guys THANKS ALOT! LOVE THE SITE!

Toke

First of all, do not assemble a 1W laser before you have a pair of goggles in hand. (they are kind of missing from your shopping list?)

You will need two batteries in series as that driver will not raise the voltage from the battery to what the diode needs.

I am not sure if the output of the driver is safe to use with a laser diode, it is intended for a LED, which is a lot more sturdy. There could be spikes in voltage and current that will damage the diode. I would place a capacitor in parallel with the diode.

The heatsinked module there is not intended for a 1W diode with a efficiency below 25%, it will overheat very fast and fry the diode.

haha thank you, but dont worry, i already purchased a pair of saftey glasses.
So would you recomend that i use a LM317 configuration?

haha thank you, but dont worry, i already purchased a pair of saftey glasses.
So would you recomend that i use a LM317 configuration?

Thats does not guarantee safety. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. Get yourself more experience.. you will not achieve sucess by using a LM317 on a 445 laser if you want it portable.

anselm

leo said:
you will not achieve sucess by using a LM317 on a 445 laser if you want it portable.
Sure you can, only need a host that fits two Li-Ion batteries.
There are many sizes to choose from.:)
Anyway it's besides the point, he doesn't even want a pointer.
OP said:
Having it inside of a flashlight host is no concern to me right now,

Toke

The problem with using a LM317 for a portable 445 would be the rather high loss of effect combined with it's output to case.
Heatsinking and supplying power such a driver will be a bit tricky.

@Toke
AND unneficient.

@anselm
I want a portable laser, not a big heating chunk of metal for the linear chip. ;)

So i looked around more on the site and found

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-my-1st-build-1-5w-labby-60-a-59450.html

and also this on youtube (although far out of my reach for me right now) YouTube - REAL Iron Man Laser Glove

they both are in a sense, portable, and use the LM317 driver

since this is my first >500mw project i think ill just try something along the lines of the first link, big and bulky, who cares id never leave the house with it anyways,right? haha and thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate the input :yh:

sorry, where you read the Iron Man glove use a linear driver?

and.. what projects you had before that? We're concerned with safety and everyone here knows that anything above 200mW (or 40mW if green) is a very bad idea to start with.. DIY or not. We're really concerned and unless you prove yourself experient you're not willing to get much help by asking instead of searching

by the way, if you lie that you own safety goggles, that is your mistake. If you actually own a good one, sorry.

ps: not to be agressive, just concerned.

thanks for the concern Leodahsan, seriously though i have already ordered and recived laser googles that protect from green and blue wavelengths, i got them for when i got a 150mw greenlaser from DX.

and the discription for that iron man glove host says its operated with a LM317 constant current driver

Sorry, my bad. Good to know you're concerned with safety, and thanks for the info regarding the iron man glove, didn't saw that ;)

btw, if you're looking for something that don't heats or wastes energy like the LM317, you can get the more efficient LM1117, design your own driver (if you have the knowledge) or buy a assembled here in forum.. they aren't VERY expensive (~$20 for a 90% efficiency driver).

the only other project i made was a (around) 250 mw red laser simply from a dvd burner, and that was using the LM317 to set the current to 375ma

i was looking into buying the flexdrive V5 driver, but i have the worlds crappiest job, and have a limited budget so i was planning to just stick to the LM317 to start,

i was challenged on Fbook to build a stronger laser than that stupid Artic from WL that a kid at my school brags about.

and cool, ill look into the LM1117 tommorow, :)

Interesting. The simplest one, tho. Get yourself more experience by searching the forums and studying that, there are many other drivers around, and you can get a simple/cheap PHR to try out the 'blue light' first, before trying a class IV (it is my recomendation). Works the same way as the DVD burner, but around 80mA if I remember well.

Well if he's already made a high powered red, he doesn't need to take a baby step and make a PHR-803T laser.

ouch3994: I'd save up for the Flexdrive, or buy one of these O-like drivers ($15). If you want to one-up your pal, maybe make a 405nm laser instead, so that the color is different and it burns better than the 445nm laser--plus the beam spec is a lot better than a 445nm laser. You can get one of the 12x burner 405nm sleds at O-like as well (which also have high powered reds in them). To get the most out of your diode, you'll want to buy one of the 405nm lenses regardless of which color you choose (I linked you to the 18mm housing, because it's just $2.50 more and a nice accessory to the lens).