Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This Lethal Laser Could Cripple ISIS

How? pinpoint each isis member and torch them one by one.

Just wait until ISIS gets some of these, they would probably torch people with them, and shoot down our drones.

I expect this technology will soon spread to all the major militaries of the world leaving them open to being captured by a group like ISIS if they are unable to purchase them.

Alan

See that paint all blown off the hood, sure wouldn't want one hitting my truck without my safety goggles on!

This no doubt could create a new maket for a new type of safety glasses if someone can invent them.

I remember reading a few months ago some company was going to build one of these at 100KW, I imagine though that may be going beyond the practical limit of being able to power these things. On a Navy ship with nuclear power it may not be a problem, but for a mobile unit you're going to need one hell of a generator.

Alan

This no doubt could create a new maket for a new type of safety glasses if someone can invent them.

I remember reading a few months ago some company was going to build one of these at 100KW, I imagine though that may be going beyond the practical limit of being able to power these things. On a Navy ship with nuclear power it may not be a problem, but for a mobile unit you're going to need one hell of a generator.

Alan

The 100kW figure depends on are we talking burst OR continuous for power. If burst, a large bank of capacitors could store up a massive charge that is let go of at once, much like an electronic flash. In that case, a smaller generator could run for a short while to power up the system.

Bob Diaz

gozert

Alan

I'm not sure if safety glasses would help when this thing can blow your head off in a split-second. Unless that's not what you meant to use them for.

kilter

It seems like in 20-30 years everyone's going to be fighting with these things!

Untill it hits a mirror :crackup:

Hey, if we can build lasers like that im sure we can also build mirrors that can reflect it. :D

joeyss

Hey, if we can build lasers like that im sure we can also build mirrors that can reflect it. :D

They're in the far IR I think so normal mirror glass would be like black paper unless it had a special coating. Even half a watt of 405nm can burn a plastic mirror.

I'm not sure if safety glasses would help when this thing can blow your head off in a split-second. Unless that's not what you meant to use them for.

I was thinking more along the line of looking at the dot that you can't see.

It seems like in 20-30 years everyone's going to be fighting with these things!

In 20-30 years we should have Star Trek type of phasers if anyone is still alive.

They're in the far IR I think so normal mirror glass would be like black paper unless it had a special coating. Even half a watt of 405nm can burn a plastic mirror.

Yes normal glass will absorb far IR and shatter or melt. I think they have to be gold plated front surface mirrors for that.

Alan

I was thinking more along the line of looking at the dot that you can't see.

Well, above 1400nm it wont get into your eyes anymore, right? You could get some kind of sunburn, though but that wouldn't only affect your eyes... maybe you will get toasted or something. :crackup:

When i think about it... if this can actually get reflected by anything, it wouldnt be safe at all.. imagine someone getting hit by 1% of the power even that wouldn't be nice.

Last edited:

joeyss

You'll be able to see the dot just point it at a rock 200 feet away and move the laser around.

the hot glow is the dot shape.

I bet this laser could literally make lava.

Last edited:

kilter

You'll be able to see the dot just point it at a rock 200 feet away and move the laser around.

the hot glow is the dot shape.

I bet this laser could literally make lava.

Haha, that would actually be cool!

You know these could end up being a really cheap alternative to missiles and bombs, but if you need a jetliner sized aircraft then that's no good, you can't fly it over a war zone or it would get shot down. Someone needs to invent a small lightweight battery or generator that can do at least 10,000 Amps at 4.2V for a reasonable amount of time. :crackup: So someone get to work on that right now.

Alan