Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This Is What a Laser From the Moon Looks Like (Photo)

Blord

Thanks for the information. I find the photo not very impressive. It is just a blob of light with no details.
Btw the laserlight travels 1.3sec from the moonorbiter to the camera.

I wonder what wavelenght laser is being used. ? I've heard of mirrors left on the moon for lunar ranging measurements ,are these the mirrors?

Can an amatuer astronomer point a telescope and do experiments with these mirrors ?

You would need VERY sensitive equipment to detect the light bouncing back. ^

During the Apollo lunar missions mirrors where left on the moon at the various landing sites to do just that .They are used to check the exact distance of the moon from the earth using the speed of light x the time ,that's just one of the things they are used for but the main one .

I wonder what wavelenght laser is being used. ? I've heard of mirrors left on the moon for lunar ranging measurements ,are these the mirrors?

Can an amatuer astronomer point a telescope and do experiments with these mirrors ?

Last edited:

I would think you could. I remember watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they did it from the roof of the apartment building, someone brought this up in another thread not too long ago. I don't know what equipment you would need to detect the return signal though. I suspect you would need a powerful laser, the more powerful the better I would think.

That makes me wonder, how powerful would a laser have to be to be able to shine it at the moon and visibly see the dot from Earth. Probably impossible but a cool idea, if it is possible don't anyone do it! Everyone will get really freaked out by it.:crackup:

You would need VERY sensitive equipment to detect the light bouncing back. ^

During the Apollo lunar missions mirrors where left on the moon at the various landing sites to do just that .They are used to check the exact distance of the moon from the earth using the speed of light x the time ,that's just one of the things they are used for but the main one .

https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/l/ladee

Looks like it's in the 1550nm range

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about one of the moon laser ranging projects.

APOLLO

This image isn't of a laser bouncing off a mirror. This graphic explains it all.
nasa-lunar-laser-communications-demonstration-infographic.jpg

Last edited:
This is a somewhat old thread, but I noticed no one brought this up:
Laser Pointer to the moon
I thought it might interest you! :)

Cristian

That is very interesting. Imagine the entire atmosphere turning to plasma and killing everyone instantly.:cryyy: What interests me most is how useful lasers could be used for long journey space travel.

I think I read long ago about an astronomer putting
a 1 W green on his telescope and seeing a reflection
from one of those mirrors. Under good conditions,
it might be possible.
HMike

Phsyco -- Know where the mirrors are at.
The beam is wide there but the moon is still BIG.
HMike

Yeah I imagine it would take a bit of luck to be able to hit the mirrors, ill have to see if I can find some information of where the mirrors are located on the moon. That would be a awesome sight tho to see a blue reflection glaring back at me.

It's public record where they landed and set the reflectors.
Still you have to go slowly!!
HMike