Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This is interesting...

Here's what is needed. It's really simple / clear / unambiguous.

- Start metering the 445 on the LaserBee
- Once the graph gets a reading and levels out, immediately (while the laser is running, and you've got safety glasses on) move the beam to the Ophir sensor
- Take note of:
--- The reading on the LaserBee just before you moved it
--- The reading on the Ophir once you've moved the beam to its sensor

That eliminates all of the ambiguity in talking about "peak" or "average". The Ophir gets a reading fast enough that the laser really shouldn't have changed output power much in that ~2 to ~3 seconds that moving the beam should take you.

That's what needs to be done :) It's too tough to interpret otherwise, because everyone is called different figures different things. Even "peak" is getting some ambiguous treatment here, because "peak" isn't necessarily the same thing as "the point when a TEC based LPM attains a reading". So just stick to that methodology I've described above and relay the readings. That will be helpful for Jerry and Ophir (oh ya, they're regular readers here ;))

Will do.. thanks for your suggestions as always. I'll set this up tonight and try again with your 445nm. I get what you are saying.

My Laserbee is actually with another member right now, and going to another after that:p

My Ophir I'm also sending out to a friend to play with... I should have both back within about a month, tops, I figure.

From what I saw though, the difference wasn't really there with the lasers I measured. Maybe a small variation. To compare previously what I did was just test the same laser on both the LB and the Ophir, and looked at the numbers 90 seconds in. Only did this with 445nm though. Results were almost the same, so I basically just switched to the ophir for the faster response time. Only thing I miss the is the ability to log the data with it.

rhd

My first Ophir disagreed with the laser bee, but my current Ophir (a replacement) agrees with the laserbee almost dead on. I'm interested to see what the backup Ophir I bought from Trevor says once I get the chance to test it.

At what point do the Ophir and laserbee almost agree? This is I am assuming, after warmup, correct? 40-60seconds into duty cycle?

rhd

At what point do the Ophir and laserbee almost agree? This is I am assuming, after warmup, correct? 40-60seconds into duty cycle?

At ANY point after the Laser Bee gets a reading (ie, if it has its reading, and I move the beam)

Here's what is needed. It's really simple / clear / unambiguous.

- Start metering the 445 on the LaserBee
- Once the graph gets a reading and levels out, immediately (while the laser is running, and you've got safety glasses on) move the beam to the Ophir sensor
- Take note of:
--- The reading on the LaserBee just before you moved it
--- The reading on the Ophir once you've moved the beam to its sensor

That eliminates all of the ambiguity in talking about "peak" or "average". The Ophir gets a reading fast enough that the laser really shouldn't have changed output power much in that ~2 to ~3 seconds that moving the beam should take you.

That's what needs to be done :) It's too tough to interpret otherwise, because everyone is called different figures different things. Even "peak" is getting some ambiguous treatment here, because "peak" isn't necessarily the same thing as "the point when a TEC based LPM attains a reading". So just stick to that methodology I've described above and relay the readings. That will be helpful for Jerry and Ophir (oh ya, they're regular readers here ;))

Again.... I agree 100% with this test procedure..

Just make sure that the LaserBee has stabilized to a reading
before quickly moving it to the OPHIR Sensor.
Don't forget to leave the beam on the OPHIR sensor for at least
5 second or until it stabilizes a reading.

@ S_l....
I'd still like to know where exactly your OPHIR head came from...:thinking:

Jerry

Yes. I agree Jerry.
Actually in 2 of the tests that I conducted I used the method above. Allow the laser to stabilize is the only way to get any kind of reading. CHECK. .

My Ophir came from a member here whom also visits the PhotonLexicon site from time to time.
The verdict is in.

AFTER WARMUP/stabilization - 10seconds after the laserbee stabilized on a reading here are our results.

450nm/455nm RHD build

Test1: Ophir: 1993mW
Laserbee: 1961mW

Test2: Ophir: 2034mW
Laserbee 2002mW

405nm Olike 400mW rated (WAY OVER SPEC!)

Test 1:
Ophir: 489mW
Laserbee: 459mW

Test2:
Ophir: 493mW
Laserbee: 463mW

This is measured within the same time frame. There is about a 30-33mW gap between the 2 sensors.
This = 1.51% to 1.64% of difference.

Surprise!! Jerry's laserbee is a VERY DECENT match for the Ophir 20C-A-1-Y.
This is an EXTREMELY good result.
The only issue is the long delay for warm up. But 1.64% difference isn't a heck of a lot of error. MORE than accurate enough.

My results stand as ACCURATE. I have tested my collection. The range shown here 1.51-1.64% of difference remains as a standard depending on the wavelength.

This test should prove helpful for those getting erroneous readings from Ophir sensors and or laserbees.

Last edited:

DTR

Here is the comparison testing I did on my Ophir and my 3.2W Laserbee II when I built the Ophir.

Ophir 324mW

p1016899.jpg

Laserbee II 323mW

p1016907.jpg

Then I tested a 445 which came out with about a 20mW difference from a cold start but I would attribute this to the power drop from the 445 in the time it took the laserbee to get a peak reading.

Ophir 1353mW

p1016911.jpg

Laserbee II 1335mW

p1016909.jpg

hmm, interesting. 20mW difference.

Well, that's ~ within a 1% difference during warmup.

I tested a few of the known builds. The 12x by Dave Guin was tested at 700mW.. my Ophir pegs 703mW on the dot and averages out at 695.6mW. Pretty much 700mW. The laserbee falls 1.64% short of the reading continuously.

Last edited:
hmm, interesting. 20mW difference.

Well, that's ~ within a 1% difference during warmup.

I tested a few of the known builds. The 12x by Dave Guin was tested at 700mW.. my Ophir pegs 703mW on the dot and averages out at 695.6mW. Pretty much 700mW. The laserbee falls 1.64% short of the reading continuously.

I'm still confused as to what you mean by "during warmup"...

There is acclimation time. (the time it takes for any Thermopile to
reach temperature equilibrium in the test area (~30-60 minutes)).

There is warmup time of the OPHIR Head electronics. (the time it
takes the OPHIR 20C head's electronics to stabalize when first turned
'ON' (~15 minutes)
The LaserBee electronics does not require this warmup time.

There is rampup time or response time. (the time it takes the
readings of the LPM to stabalize to an input power (~1-15 seconds)

Could you please PM me the username of the member that sold you
the OPHIR head you used in these tests.

Jerry

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to what you mean by "during warmup"...

There is acclimation time. (the time it takes for any Thermopile to
reach temperature equilibrium in the test area (~30-60 minutes)).

There is warmup time of the OPHIR Head electronics. (the time it
takes the OPHIR 20C head's electronics to stabalize when first turned
'ON' (~15 minutes)
The LaserBee electronics does not require this warmup time.

There is rampup time or response time. (the time it takes the
readings of the LPM to stabalize to an input power (~1-15 seconds)

Could you please PM me the username of the member that sold you
the OPHIR head you used in these tests.

Jerry

I am loosely referring to rampup time as warmup time.
The time it takes a Laserbee to get a stable reading, 15-20 seconds or so.
Jerry, the "Ophir source" will be revealed to you shortly.....

I think I proved Jerry's Laserbee is beyond a reasonable doubt highly accurate.
The test proves it for me. Puts any doubts I have to rest.

Last edited:
Well now that we have seen this demo, I am wonder if anyone else is going to test their Ophir and laserbee to see how much difference there might be?
~1-2% of each other is pretty awesome!