Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Their on their way!

Jhop

Oooooch , that's cold :)

Especially if it's the day old M&C that's been in the fridg. all night :)

mmm reheated kraft mac n cheese is so good. Im gonna have to go buy some now...

Radim

Excellent, Christmas is coming to your house early also. Enjoy :)

Which 473 did you get?

None yet. I just need to finalize my order details depending on discusion with Gray. Now I'm waiting for him to respond my second round of questions. I'm decided for PL-E Pro the highest power possible - 100 mW. In black host, manual switch, both tail caps (keylock just for extra super safety in case I take it with me on place where someone unauthorized like my girlfried's curious little sister could get to it - however its unlikely, but you never know) and beam expander.

I just need to ensure sufficient cooling for summer. I'll be using it for laser painting art and for static beam I need a duty cycle about 20 minutes to have sufficient time for composition setup and exposure. So I'm not decided to get TEC option or not... If it is possible to be switched on demand - why not. But I do not want to cool it in winter... :D My 589 nm Spartan I have to wrap in bubble foil to keep heat produced from operation and not let the laser cool down. I'm too affraid from thermal shock or dew condensation. This solution works well for me, depending on outside temperature I use more or less layers.

For summer I think about some external cooling solution as well. Also for my other lasers with duty cycle which I would like to use for longer times in summer. Maybe some external TEC (not sure if such solution exists) or even easier solution like some battery operated fan? What do you think?

And yes I know about the multi line behaviour of recent Spartans when cooled, it seems mine has also some (I was lazy to do experiment, however the colour seems to change slightly). I think it is better to stay around working temp especially when it was far below zero or tropical night in summer comes. I'm not sure how these out of limit temperatures might affect it in long term.

And thanks. I'll enjoy it for sure. You enjoy your lasers too. ;)

Last edited:

BobMc

@ Radim , the fan idea is interesting, maybe some type of cooler/heater that you could adjust depending on where you need to take the temperature, that would fit multiple lasers? Don't know if you could find or make one small enough that would work? Would be interesting if you could exchange lasers in it quickly. Projects, projects, projects . :)

Last edited:

Radim

Or to get more temp control devices. :) However the easiest solutions are the best. I was considering also neoprene sleves maybe with some pockets inside for cooling bags (I know there exist heating bags, but not sure if something like this is for cooling - maybe the capsules used in portable fridges) and silicagel to absorb humidity? Many ideas, little time to find out the best working solution. :D

Last edited:

BobMc

Or to get more temp control devices. :) However the easiest solutions are the best. I was considering also neoprene sleves maybe with some pockets inside for cooling bags (I know there exist heating bags, but not sure if something like this is for cooling - maybe the capsules used in portable fridges) and silicagel to absorb humidity? Many ideas, little time to find out the best working solution. :D

The heating seems to be doable. The cooling is ?? Wondering if dry ice and a cooling bag of some type. Like your idea. Would be inexpensive and easy to locate . And easy to dispose of ?

Last edited:

Radim

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Super-Large-size-blue-ice-gel-4-pieces-for-Diabetic-Insulin-cooler-pack-bag-in-cooling/32565891327.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.1.WrfiIz

Something like this for cooling. You just put it in freezer than to thermo bag for transport and put it close to module in neoprene sleeve with silicagel for operation.

For heating usually heat produced from operation was sufficient if laser was wrapped, but there are bags with some gel inside and piece of tin in the gel. You push to click the tin and the gel starts to turn into solid state producing heat. When used you just boil it in water to make it liquid again.

I mean this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-Repeat-The-Heat-Just-Click-It-Gel-Heating-Pad-warm-your-hands-feet-/182389047530

BTW: No need to dispose - reusable solution. I do not like to produce too much waste.

Last edited:

BobMc

@Radim Sounds like you given it some thought, best wishes with your plans I hope you get and enjoy JL sure you'll do a review and some pics. Looking forward to you getting your JL. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Radim

Bob, thanks. I might do some "review" but as not having LPM and other stuff to meet common standards here, this would be more appropriate to call it something like: "Enjoyment of 473 nm JL PL-E Pro 100 mW". :D Also I wish you to enjoy your lasers and let us know your opinions/reviews... Especially the dazzler. I'm interested how you will test its effects. :)

BobMc

Bob, thanks. I might do some "review" but as not having LPM and other stuff to meet common standards here, this would be more appropriate to call it something like: "Enjoyment of 473 nm JL PL-E Pro 100 mW". :D Also I wish you to enjoy your lasers and let us know your opinions/reviews... Especially the dazzler. I'm interested how you will test its effects. :)

Always like to read what people's thoughts are on their purchases/lasers.
Looking forward to yours.

Shall do, interesting thought "can I LPM the dazzler"? We'll see :thinking:

Last edited:

Radim

Maybe to compare it with flashlight, camera flash or car headlight? I wouldn't try it on eyes for sure. Maybe you can LPM and get energy density for different distances and for different focus settings and calculate flashblindess effects? Compared to camera flash for example it would get some reference how you would feel if you got a hit. There surely will be some studies on internet where methods of measurments are described.

BobMc

Maybe to compare it with flashlight, camera flash or car headlight? I wouldn't try it on eyes for sure. Maybe you can LPM and get energy density for different distances and for different focus settings and calculate flashblindess effects? Compared to camera flash for example it would get some reference how you would feel if you got a hit. There surely will be some studies on internet where methods of measurments are described.

I'll probably try it on myself, walk out in the desert a block or two and have my son point and shoot and slowly walk closer. I'll try to get some pics as I do, if safe. Do some experiments like that. ??

Radim

Well, you have more experience than I have. I have not done any experiment like this, just thinking how I would do it without using my eyes exposed to laser hit. At least I would measure MPE distance for a given focus settings before for sure. Just to make the test safe. Also it might be better to try it on some cheaper camera and evaluate it by comparsion of exposure of pic from safe light source (which you can try on yourself) and dazzler. You have time to consider options before your package appears on your doorstep. :)

Edit: I tried to google it snd this is first link I got: https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/bitstream/1808/10629/1/Richardson_ku_0099M_12493_DATA_1.pdf

I just went through contents briefly and it might be useful for you. Just saying that this information lays somewhere on internet. :)

Last edited:

BobMc

Well, you have more experience than I have. I have not done any experiment like this, just thinking how I would do it without using my eyes exposed to laser hit. At least I would measure MPE distance for a given focus settings before for sure. Just to make the test safe. Also it might be better to try it on some cheaper camera and evaluate it by comparsion of exposure of pic from safe light source (which you can try on yourself) and dazzler. You have time to consider options before your package appears on your doorstep. :)

Edit: I tried to google it snd this is first link I got: https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/bitstream/1808/10629/1/Richardson_ku_0099M_12493_DATA_1.pdf

I just went through contents briefly and it might be useful for you. Just saying that this information lays somewhere on internet. :)

Thanks, I'll check it out. Did some research before on the dazzler over at JL's site and they says something like 300 feet it starts to get a effective. It was awhile ago, so I'll will have to reread to be sure. But there not like a laser beam, imagine defocusimg a laser as far as possible than widen it by 10x's going out in a fan like area, than flashing quickly, suppose to disoriented people, so I'm the ginne pig. Will do more research on it before I get it just to be sure. But thanks again for your link. :thanks:

Last edited:

Radim

Yes, that's designed for that purpose. I saw some videos some time ago.

You are welcome. It is quite interesting reading what I saw so far and some literature is there as well. I'll go through it as well later. I have to go to bed now. Lot of work tomorrow. :) Good luck with it.

Last edited:

BobMc

You are welcome. It is quite interesting reading what I saw so far and some literature is there as well. I'll go through it as well later. I have to go to bed now. Lot of work tomorrow. :) Good luck with it.

Have a good night, we'll talk later. :)