Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Zeus are here!

ManCave

I've had four LPMs. The first was a Laserbee that could measure to 3.2 watts and the second was the Radiant X4 that measures to 3.7 watts. I have a professional meter and both styles of the Hyperion. The Hyperion, if you can get it, comes with data logging software and is very good for what it can do. I paid $250.00 for the 6 watt and the 20 watt sensors plus the hardware. My thoughts have always been to get what you can when you can. Something else will come along in time.
Thank you Paul.

I am more in the buy once save twice camp. I would much rather buy an LPM device I can grow into vs outgrowing it. I did a lot of looking around before deciding on the Zeus lasers, and thought they were the right balance for my first medium -high power units.
I am also not yet ready to invest a fair amount of money into a LPM, I am Just looking at my options, should I decide to take the plunge.
Data logging is an interesting option alas, the Hyperion is just too bare bones to keep around the house, it will likely end up broken rather quickly. Maybe once I gather more knowledge, and decide to convert my shed into a hobbyist laser lab...

Cheers!

Snecho

Thank you Paul.

I am more in the buy once save twice camp. I would much rather buy an LPM device I can grow into vs outgrowing it. I did a lot of looking around before deciding on the Zeus lasers, and thought they were the right balance for my first medium -high power units.
I am also not yet ready to invest a fair amount of money into a LPM, I am Just looking at my options, should I decide to take the plunge.
Data logging is an interesting option alas, the Hyperion is just too bare bones to keep around the house, it will likely end up broken rather quickly. Maybe once I gather more knowledge, and decide to convert my shed into a hobbyist laser lab...

Cheers!
After doing much research recently as I need to get an LPM myself, I would personally recommend a LaserBee outfitted with an Ophir sensor head. Response time is a only few seconds, can measure up to 20W for a duration if heatsinked well, and you'd get the data logging software via the LaserBee unit. Considering it is an industrial grade sensor head, you probably won't ever need to buy another LPM in your life. :)

The cost is something to be worked out with Jerry @lasersbee though...

He could probably set you up with just a LaserBee unit without a sensor for discount, and then you could get a used Ophir head for maybe $250. All in all, the most you'd probably be looking at around $350-$400.

ManCave

After doing much research recently as I need to get an LPM myself, I would personally recommend a LaserBee outfitted with an Ophir sensor head. Response time is a only few seconds, can measure up to 20W for a duration if heatsinked well, and you'd get the data logging software via the LaserBee unit. Considering it is an industrial grade sensor head, you probably won't ever need to buy another LPM in your life. :)

He could probably set you up with just a LaserBee unit without a sensor for discount, and then you could get a used Ophir head for maybe $250. All in all, the most you'd probably be looking at around $350-$400.
Thank you Snecho.
Yes, that’s one of the options I am looking at but, the final cost once we add shipping and customs chargers are firmly pushing on the brakes.
Cheers!

When I joined LPF there were no direct diode lasers over 3 watts, so having the Laserbee at 3.2 watts was good and got it used for $100.00. It came without a case too. The Scientech is my only professional one.

GSS

Mancave, I believe the bare Hyperian meter is made to be fitted in a box of your choice..

Last edited:

GSS

Snecho, I think you should get a laser first??:LOL:

ManCave

When I joined LPF there were no direct diode lasers over 3 watts, so having the Laserbee at 3.2 watts was good and got it used for $100.00. It came without a case too. The Scientech is my only professional one.

Yes, technology does move along fast, and I think we all have gone through upgrades at some stage to keep up.
That’s why I want to buy something as future proof as I can (but I’ve always done that). I will also check the buy and sell sub-forum and keep an eye for a good deal there.

@GSS

I believe the Hyperion comes with 3D printable plans for a case, but I don’t own a 3D printer. Or have ready access to one, so I will have to send it to have it done professionally, and that will add to the cost.
I’m sure that eventually, I’ll find something suitable with a good price/quality/future proof balance.

Cheers you guys

Have a great weekend!

Depending on what you are trying to measure you can't get a one size fits all solution to this.. For instance, lasers below 20 mW are usually measured using optical sensors instead of thermopiles. And you have to use a chart to compensate for wavelength. I have some lasers below 1 mW and that is the only option for measuring those. Also, unlike the hobby LPMs, the professional one will measure energy in J, which is best for pulsed lasers. High power LPMs don't accurately measure lower powered lasers either.

ManCave

Depending on what you are trying to measure you can't get a one size fits all solution to this.. For instance, lasers below 20 mW are usually measured using optical sensors instead of thermopiles. And you have to use a chart to compensate for wavelength. I have some lasers below 1 mW and that is the only option for measuring those. Also, unlike the hobby LPMs, the professional one will measure energy in J, which is best for pulsed lasers. High power LPMs don't accurately measure lower powered lasers either.
🤔 That’s quite the curveball you threw there!
I had not taken it into consideration and you are right, as I advance into this hobby, I am sure not all my purchases or self builds will be high power. More to think about now.
Thank you Paul.

Cheers

I didn't see how I was "breaking rules" or how I was acting obstreperous with that message, but sorry if that was the assumption and hope this clears up any confusion! 😀
Obstreperous. Wow! That's the biggest word I've ever seen used on this forum.

Snecho

Snecho, I think you should get a laser first??:LOL:
Lol GSS! 🤣

Contrary to my signature, I own a couple lasers and I have a 1.5W one arriving soon. 😀

I'm really adamant about measuring the precise output of any laser I own or hope to get in the near future. Hence, why I had an extensive conversion with another member on LPMs during the week.

Obstreperous. Wow! That's the biggest word I've ever seen used on this forum.
Thanks lol. Oh I'm sure bigger words have been used here. 😆

Thank you Snecho.
Yes, that’s one of the options I am looking at but, the final cost once we add shipping and customs chargers are firmly pushing on the brakes.
Cheers!
Dang! Custom charges are that bad for importing? That sucks man. :(

🤔 That’s quite the curveball you threw there!
I had not taken it into consideration and you are right, as I advance into this hobby, I am sure not all my purchases or self builds will be high power. More to think about now.
Thank you Paul.

Cheers
Correct me if I'm wrong here Paul.

I think what Paul was referring to was the very low power range and that's also why you need to calculate the wavelength. Very few lasers come into that category. Everything from the standard LaserBees to 10-20W Ophir heads can read in the lows around 10-100mW just fine and can read 1-10mW as well. And they also can read all of the visible spectrum without recalibration or big calculations.

Yes, a photodiode sensor would be better suited for very low powers, but an Ophir 20C-A-1-Y for example, can supposedly read any wavelength from 1mW to 10W in one mW increments. It can also measure up to around 15-20W if heatsinked really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
It depends on what you consider accurate. My Scientech Vector with the AC2500 sensor can read down to as low as 10 mW, but needs to be enclosed in an Isoperibol below that value. I suspect the Ophir has similar constraints.

Snecho

It depends on what you consider accurate. My Scientech Vector with the AC2500 sensor can read down to as low as 10 mW, but needs to be enclosed in an Isoperibol below that value. I suspect the Ophir has similar constraints.
I'm thinking of ~2% accuracy.

Based on some tests, the Ophir can measure from a noise floor as low as 1-10mW in 1 mW increments with near perfect accuracy. Anything further than that like .01 or .001 mW increments isn't really hobby grade for everyday use me thinks. I mean, in ManCave's context, "low powered" would probably be in the couple hundreds of mW. I assume anyway? Point is, based on my experience, it is very possible to get one LPM that does everything. Again, that is based on my own research and knowledge, so you may know more, I'm just relaying what I know. :)

ManCave

I am not sure what I will be purchasing in the future. I am, however, very likely to start my self builds with very low power levels, probably and jut to be safe while I am learning, in the sub 5mw range or even lower.

Thank you all for answering my newbie questions, which you guys must be bored to tears with.
I was really not expecting what was really a trivial update on my purchase to reach 5 pages, much less gathering so much information.

So, thank you all for advancing my knowledge in a patient, kind and detailed way. I am truly grateful.
I have now enough data to continue my research in an educated and more specific manner.

Cheers

Snecho

I am not sure what I will be purchasing in the future. I am, however, very likely to start my self builds with very low power levels, probably and jut to be safe while I am learning, in the sub 5mw range or even lower.

Thank you all for answering my newbie questions, which you guys must be bored to tears with.
I was really not expecting what was really a trivial update on my purchase to reach 5 pages, much less gathering so much information.

So, thank you all for advancing my knowledge in a patient, kind and detailed way. I am truly grateful.
I have now enough data to continue my research in an educated and more specific manner.

Cheers
That's awesome Ivan.

I don't believe there is a readily available diode under 5mW.
Personally since you already own 1W and 3W lasers, going that low because of safety is a bit overkill. 😛 That's just my opinion though and I wish you the absolute best of luck regardless of which path you take! 😀

ManCave

That's awesome Ivan.

I don't believe there is a readily available diode under 5mW.
Personally since you already own 1W and 3W lasers, going that low because of safety is a bit overkill. 😛 That's just my opinion though and I wish you the absolute best of luck regardless of which path you take! 😀
Thank you Snecho.

You make it sound like I am leaving the forums, that’s not the case, I will be very much around. Just not posting questions that have been answered ad-nausea.

Ok while you are very new I guess but, I am now more familiar with the search options, and I don’t want to bore the knowledgeable regulars with stuff I can now find. But, I’ll won’t posting as much, only when I think I can contribute, like I did this afternoon. Or I get really stuck.

Having ready build powerful lasers and building one yourself is a different thing altogether, and If I can’t find the low power diodes, I will more likely pull them from cheap units. There are things that can only be learnt with practice, and I don’t want to burn anything or injure myself when things inevitably go south while I work and learn.

Cheers!