Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Supercar EDC Build

The Supercar EDC

Hello all. Please see pics of my latest build: “The Supercar”. This build started over one (1) year ago when discussions between Wossee ( Driver designer/builder ) and myself began. About that time, the G8 Collimation lens was introduced and in my opinion this lens in combination with 6X Cylindrical optics tames the NUBM044 LD to an acceptable degree.

Also my interest in designing and building the latest and greatest EDC had just taken hold….so….off to the races we go.

Vladimir ( Wossee) indicated he had topology for a 29mm dia 5A Boost drive designed to run on a single 3.7V 26650 Lipo cell. This driver is named: The Fat 5A Boost. It has a robust center spring contact for + and the typical outer ring contact for -. The drive also sports a two (2) wire external hook-up for I/O for your on/off switch.

Per Wossee; “ This Driver is a Prototype in the testing phase. As for the switch – the driver has a built in high-current electronic latching switch with recoverable reverse voltage protection operated from a small momentary switch “
So, all that needs to be done is connect the Driver - two (2) wire external hook-up to a push button momentary switch….for Push-On / Push-Off operation . The stock momentary switch that is supplied with the Skywolfeye is suitable. Perfect !!!

I replaced the stock momentary switch with a larger Push momentary I/O. This is optional for I believe the stock switch is fine for the I/O action.

This driver has been the missing puzzle piece for a one cell 044 LD EDC !! Well…It is now a reality and here is an example of it’s use. I should note that the driver demands the best 26650 LiPo brand name cells. When cell voltage drops below minimum, the LD starts to blink on/off to advise you “ Low Voltage Condition “

I choose the Skywolfeye Zoom-XM-L2 for the build host. This is a single cell/26650 Lipo with a side switch design. To me, this is a perfect host !! ====> Single cell/Side switch/Small/Good quality/Low cost !!!!! See here;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOOM-XM-L2-U2-LED-3-Mode-8000LM-USB-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Torch-26650-Battery/283001124351

The next bit needed was a custome Aluminum machined unit to hold/center the CU 12mm x 27mm Standard diode mount and provide an attachment plane for the Cylindrical optics. I did, as usual, machine open the internal LD seat race on the CU mount. I like a friction fit vs. a press fit for the LD in it holder. Personal preference here.

I machined the component labeled : LDM-OP …See pics. This unit serves to mount the CU LD holder and as a platform for the Cylindrical Lens ( C-Lenses) pair. You may recall this design from the past. The LDM-OP is secured to the host with one (1) small bolt from the exterior race of the Switch section unit.

For the optics I used a G8 lens from DTR and a set of 6X Cylindrical Optics from our Group Buy. Again, this arrangement tames the 044 well. Also the NUBM044 LD was supplied by DTR.

As you would predict… I incorporated a clear Acrylic Canopy/Sleeve to protect and display the optics. There is a black cap plate on the Acrylic end to further protect and act as a mask for a small amount of LD spill after the C-Lenses. The canopy/Sleeve is secured to the LDP-OP unit with two (2) small bolts.

The 29mm dia. driver fits perfect within the Switch section unit / host body, The driver unit is held in place by clamping action. This clamping action occurs when the battery tube is screwed into the to Switch section unit....capturing the driver. So, the driver is secured between the Battery tube and the Switch section unit. The clamping action also provides the negative ground path from the driver perimeter contact ring
======> to the battery tube wall.

I did have to do machining to the slider component of the Skywolfeye….sanding off the end threads where the Bezel ring was originally attached. Also…the Slider portion was permanently epoxied to the host inner tube as there was no need for this piece to telescope anymore.

SO….here we have it….primarily due to the Wossee Fat 5A Boost driver, The Supercar….the most compact, using the NUBM044-highest LD we currently have available, corrected, EDC build that I have yet to see. Thank you Vladimir !!!!!

As a last minute addition, I added a rear Push on / Push off Tail switch. This was done for safety concerns !!! The Tail Switch MUST be activated or the Latching switch WILL NOT TURN THE UNIT ON….Perfect

Hope you enjoyed the show ! I am very happy we did this collaboration…and I am very, very happy it turned out….and…..that is DONE !!

See the pics below...

CDBEAM

Attachments

• 20180621_080459_1529590755152.jpeg
    20180621_080459_1529590755152.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 46
  • LDM OP Start Machining.jpg
    LDM OP Start Machining.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 46
  • LDM-OP C Lens Testing.jpg
    LDM-OP C Lens Testing.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 48
  • LDM-OP Installed V12A.JPG
    LDM-OP Installed V12A.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 48
  • LDM-OP Refined pic.jpg
    LDM-OP Refined pic.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 46
  • LDM-OP Socket machined.jpg
    LDM-OP Socket machined.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 40
  • LDM-OP V7.JPG
    LDM-OP V7.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 39
  • SkyWolf Detail  V5.JPG
    SkyWolf Detail V5.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Supercar Host and  LDM_OP  V5.JPG
    Supercar Host and LDM_OP V5.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 63
  • Supercar complete Ortho view.jpg
    Supercar complete Ortho view.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Final Supercar build pics ! Whew...Many pics....FUN BUILD !!! Thanx for watch'in

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Suoercar complete Rear view.jpg
    Suoercar complete Rear view.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Supercar Beam Shot 1.jpg
    Supercar Beam Shot 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Supercar Beam Shot 2.jpg
    Supercar Beam Shot 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 42
  • Supercar Beam Shot 3.jpg
    Supercar Beam Shot 3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Supercar Build parts.jpg
    Supercar Build parts.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 45

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Very cool, CD, a real work of art! :cool:
I really like your detailed build sequence photos, thanks for sharing this sweet build with us.

Edit: This is what I thought of when I first read your thread title - https://images.app.goo.gl/KCdzgzPgmNogVaE19

Last edited:
Very cool, CD, a work of art! :cool:
I really like your detailed build sequence photos, thanks for sharing this sweet build with us.

BTG....thanx for your kind words !! Yea...I probably….er….ah....I share too much....But then....Sharing our passion.... is a pillar of LPF !!
To show what is possible....to use our latest and greatest bits.....That is at the heart of things LPF !!

A build end....is always ….Bitter sweet....but....I got many more builds started....or designed....of....just floating around....in me " Tin Covered Nog'in " !!!

So...Whatza Divergence, Watza Power output.....well....Gotta measure !!! Driver set at a fairly conservative 4.5 A....and could be maxed out @ 5A.
The Beam is TIGHT'N'BRIGHT....that much I do know !!!...

Later,
CDBEAM

Last edited:
BTG !!!!@ YES !!!!! See attached link !!!

OK...OK.....See the YouTube link....hope it works !!! I want ALL of you....to have THIS theme song....bouncing around in your brain....FOR DECADES....driving you C R A Z Y !!!!!! ( Short Trip !!!!! )…. Jimmy is a real hoot....watch the show....IF you have absolutely have NOTHING ELSE TO DO !!!! I dare you !!!! NOW....Perhaps you NOW understand the foundations of my warped humor !!!....and wearing of a " Tin Foil Hat "

Obviously....I like to generate.....Off the Wall names....It's my Thing !!!

That song has been rattling around in my brain....since the 60's....Holy Crap !!! Whatever !!! I choose the name....The "Supercar"....cause I wanted this build....to be....like...The Supercar.....just do'in everything !!! I think I came fairly close to my target !!!....Humble guy that I am !!! hahaha !!

So...so...." Supercar....Supercar....It's the marvel of the age " HAHAHAHA

Also....The Supercar show....could NOT have been more....er…." Campy ".....!!!!! Perfect !!! HAHAHAHA

See......See....cartoons....back in the day …...were not all " Itchy and Scratchy " some had....er…..ah...." Teaching Moments " like this one...I especially am found of the opening....where the Supercar.....mmmm…" Swims with the Fishes " hahahahahahqhahaha….PERFECT !

CDBEAM

Last edited:
Man that is small for that diode. How long are your run times, Bob? Very cool looking laser!

Thanx Paul....I was going for....er...Super compact....that is what an EDC is....Not sure on run times....will advise.
Bob

Thanx Paul....I was going for....er...Super compact....that is what an EDC is....Not sure on run times....will advise.
Bob

I know. I have some EDCs in my signature. It's just that the NUBM44s at close to 5 amps put out 23 to 25 watts of waste heat.

Reactions: DTR
I know. I have some EDCs in my signature. It's just that the NUBM44s at close to 5 amps put out 23 to 25 watts of waste heat.

Yes...EDC = Small = Limited Mass = Much quicker heat build up = limited run time.....Sigh !!

Well......If I only had some " Dilithium Crystals " for the Mater/Anti Mater converter....I could cool the core down and power the LD for a great period of time....HAHAHAHA !!

The Universe is a demanding Bitch !!! We can have many things.....but....We cannot have it all !!!!

CDB

Attachments

• BD 1  Emperor base with text 1.jpg
    BD 1 Emperor base with text 1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for sharing and your enthusiasm Robert, always a pleasure to see you post and what you have been working on. Keep creating :) we all love seeing what you have to share.

Chris...Thanx !! So...so....I have come to embrace very large/complex builds....and high end EDC builds.....quite a swing hey !! Well....like I said....I have a few more " Cakes coming out of the Oven "....soon !!

So...as a reward....for all the nice comments......Please follow the instructions below !!!

1) Go get yerself a big glass of milk....or a mug of coffee
2) Start to drink your beverage of choice
3) Watch the YouTube link below !! ( HaHaHa x 100 )

I hope you laugh so hard, ya fall outta your chair !!! I know I do !!!
Later Foton Fanatics !!

CDB

Last edited:

Napalm

It is from the moment I registered on LPF that I am courting this build, there is so much to learn and so much to see through the tasty photos attached, I find the photos much more interesting and easy to understand, while I have to pause quite a bit more on the schemes.
We are talking about a hand held 7W + NUBM44 V2, collimated with a G8 lens and two external cylindrical lenses designed to extend the beam without losing power, I only wonder why using a plexiglass half cylinder would not be suitable for aluminum?
Or was that material chosen for a purely aesthetic factor?
Is there not a dispersion of brightness (although also minimal?)

Anyway, great job (y)
Arkadijus

Thank you for you kind words and appreciation of this build !! I have yet to take the time to measure divergence...all I know...it looks good !!! PO is just shy of 6W..... It has been one of my favorite builds....again...thanx to the Wossee Driver....this is the critical component !!

Concerning the Acrylic Shroud...well....that is just because I am a Show Off !!! And....when in operation....the C-Lenses....do lite up nicely !!!
C-Lenses typically reduce optical output by 0.5 %...visible in operation or not....the minimal loss of power remains the same.

I suppose a more conservative version could use an Aluminum Shroud ??? MMMMmmm….Maybe a Shroud with a series of round ports....and have the ports plugged with Acrylic inserts.....Peek-a Boo !!! HAHAHA

In closing....Perhaps because I am such a " Hambone"...I like to show the build progress !! It is my payback to LPF !! I project that some of our members appreciate the show and tell....for drawings and words have their limitations ! The pictures do bring the build experience to life !! And, for me ...the documentation allows me to review the fun ( sometimes frustration ) I had during the build.... !!

Anyway, Thanx !!
CDBEAM

Last edited:

Napalm

But imagine, it was the minimum, I agree with you, the images are more explicit than a scheme, but both things must be studied and observed for a long time, thus giving the eye the opportunity to focus every little part of the build while the schema is as if it were a magnetic resonance, shows all that is under the build and that is, sweat, study, hard work, technique, errors, blasphemies, but above all intellect and meticulous precision in designing a build almost like an engineer.
Returning to the acrylic covering, the next build may have a black acrylic with a maximum of 0.5mm holes for the light effect.
There are many types of colored acrylics on the market.
An excellent choice was to use a newly developed G8 lens, which would make the beam round and not rectangular, as is usually the case if a G-2 lens is used, but which has the capacity to enhance the beam by approx. 90% if I'm not wrong.

Uh Oh....The Pundits will be on you like Stink on Sh$t …… The beam is not made round !!! it is corrected to approx. an aspect ratio...maybe 1: 1.25 Rectangular....with rounded corners...slightly wider than tall. Much improved...not perfect...but much better !!!

The ultimate cover would be to employ a very small rectangular window....made from Liquid Crystal Technology.... transmission adjustable matrix...See here : https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/construction/green/smart-window3.htm

This product exists....and is normally opaque !! Given a small amount of VDC....and the window becomes relatively transparent !!
SO...we have our cake....and eat it too !!! Why not ???

And yes...I still admit to wearing a Tin Foil Hat !!!
Thanx again for the comments !!!

CDB

Attachments

• Tin Foil Hat _ Bug Eye.png
    Tin Foil Hat _ Bug Eye.png
    785 KB · Views: 4