Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The quest for yellow, orange semiconductor diodes

The golden age is upon us. When we get our hands on these I fear the forum won't have anything left to look forward to.

Very cool! Really, at this point, the yellow & orange spectrum is all that really is left we are lacking. Everything else is pretty much there and somewhat affordable.

-Alex

after we get all these wavelengths what do we do next? wait for the >500mw 560nm diodes?
what a great time were having. all these new diodes its awesome.

Sta

Pretty sure this is fairly old news, and not much of a big development. Quantum well laser diodes are very, very hard to produce.

Btw, I'm back.

The golden age is upon us. When we get our hands on these I fear the forum won't have anything left to look forward to.

I know, right. We'll be so BORED. :cryyy:

Honestly thought, even thought the wavelength gaps will decrease over time there still will be smaller wl gaps to close and there still will be things like higher power single or multi mode's or better beam quality.

Maybe even eventually semi-tunable lasers or RGB multi-emitter diodes:san:. I'm sure well find more cool stuff to look forward to down the road.

Last edited:
what about supercontinuum lasers? i highly doubt anyone on the forum owns one haha we could always look forward to one of those. even the name sounds super cool. imagine...
"hey erik, i just my supercontinuum laser in the mail today"
"a super what?? quantum laser?"
sounds like something out of startrek

Last edited:

diachi

Pretty sure this is fairly old news, and not much of a big development. Quantum well laser diodes are very, very hard to produce.

Btw, I'm back.

Man, haven't seen you around in a while! Welcome back!

It'll be a while before yellow diodes are affordable for us, if they ever are. With any lucky they'll find a use for them in the entertainment industry, that's the only reason we have most of the diodes we typically use at affordable prices really. Mass production for DVD writers, then HD-DVD/BluRay, then high power blue for projectors and now high power green for the same thing.

There were some experimental orange diodes kicking around years ago that came from an auction, as far as I remember. Think they were 608nm or 612nm. A few folk here picked those up. They had to be run at a very low temperature, well below freezing IIRC, in order to reach that. May even have been "cryogenic" diodes. Anyone's memory better than mine? I can remember the guy that was selling them, can't for the life of me figure out how to spell his username. "Huerresciences" something like that?

I've been so busy today with these new diodes that I just now got a chance to read this. It may well be awhile before it comes to fruition, but I expect it will happen.

Radim

Nice find, Steve. I cannot rep you right now. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely there will be much more diode laser wavelengths available in the future. Still my love and passion for DPSS will remain. ;)

Alex, I like your new avatar. My favourite documentary series - I've seen them all. :D

Alex, I like your new avatar. My favourite documentary series - I've seen them all. :D

I changed it back already Radim :pop: I agree though, it's a great series! I really like the older episodes with I think the Canadian narrator I think he is? Really creates a good atmosphere when you watch. I've seen almost all the episodes I have no more to watch :(

-Alex