Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The oldest laser you own that still works?

I've had my fair share of lasers go in and out of my collection, but I've kept the first O-like 150mW green module since 2009. Its changed hosts a couple of times along the way too! Started out in a Jayrob mini mag build and now it's in a C6 host. Surprisingly it still has an overspec output of around 180mW. Over 4 years and still going strong! Tell me about your oldest lasers:D

zq91CFil.jpg

I don't really remember mine, it's most likely a cheapo 650nm 5mW laser haha, if it counts I will say the DollarTree one(only one I still have).

If you want to count a 1999 argon, that's my oldest. Spitting out 22 mW at the very most.

Longest in my posession... my 635nm.

Last edited:

Trevor

Strictly oldest? Probably a Hughes Aircraft HeNe from... I don't even know when.

Longest in my possession? A Metrologic HeNe a friend gave me four years ago.

Trevor

Strictly oldest? Probably a Hughes Aircraft HeNe from... I don't even know when.

Longest in my possession? A Metrologic HeNe a friend gave me four years ago.

Trevor

There was an aircraft HeNe guide laser on ebay a few months ago :O

My oldest working laser is a HeNe from '83, second place is an Omni 532 from '88. Still lasing like a champ with all 8 lines :)

DJZ

This laser was manufactured in 1977! It spent the past 6 years sitting in a shed until I rescued it and got it working again.
36 year old Lexel 85 comes to life - YouTube

Hey look, 200th post, in 5 years! At this rate I'll be a vet in 20 more years!
icon12.gif

Attachments

• IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
My oldest is a home built NdYAG I built 25 years ago. Two BIG
flash tubes and two power supplies. The rod is about 5" long.
HMike

Last edited:
My oldest is a home built NdYAG I built 25 years ago. Two BIG
flash tubes and two power supplies. The rod is about 5" long.
HMike

I've worked on these...but never made one from scratch...sounds like a fun project....

My oldest laser is my argon I think.
As for longest in my posesson.... My sunico pointer and my aries.

The oldest I'm not sure, but it's probably in a CD-ROM drive in a Macintosh sitting out in
the garage.

The one I've had the longest is in another CD-ROM dri . .. wha? They're still lasers. :umbrella:

Oh, you mean a standalone laser. Well, the oldest and longest is a 660nm 3xLR44
keychain. I have no idea how old it actually is, but it was made in the days of all brass
keychain lasers. Probably early-mid 90s vintage

It's a very nice host. Too bad the lens is glued in so well that even big channel locks will
not budge it. It is badly in need of a cleaning. There are even pieces of brass down in
there from repeated attempts.

The diode itself is a bare die so small that it's almost invisible. I should've taken more
pictures when I had it all apart. The light just seems to come from nothing.

It is all press fit. I had to make a special jig just to get it apart. That project involved
multiple drill bits and a thick piece of steel.

I'm going to take a measurement of its output once I get the LPM up and running. I
suspect it is slightly over 5mW. I remember seeing a calibration table for Scientech LPM
heads somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
It's a CATALOG NO. 380101. There's a story behind that as well, but another day.

still have the HeNe laser my brother and I have bought in 1984. It's one of the common Philips 1 to 2 mW tubes (with the aluminium belt around the tube) - and it still does the job... for close to 30 years now.

-mo-

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
The oldest laser that I still own isn't really very old, in comparison to the one's some of you guys own.
It was made in Nov. 2006. It's a pen style with a little different twist.

It's built in a plastic host, that is about 75% round, with a flat bottom, and a flat tapered nose.
Across the front, under the aperture, it's marked "APOLLO".

ea2193f8-7988-44ed-b999-e88f4f0424d6_zpsea8141b4.jpg