Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The old LPF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know things change over time and LPF is not exempt. I miss when this was a hobbyist website and a Laser enthusiast website. It seems everybody is here trying to make a buck, fighting, reviewing Laser Companies etc. I remember when i joined how helpful everybody was. It seems though that the "laser shows" section has remained true. Oh well, what do i know. i'm just a sentimental fool LoL.
I wish would could just get back to making projects and helping each other out. I mean how many sources do we need for aixiz modules or 445 diodes really? there is nothing innovative here, no more happy meal toy blu rayz or mustard bottle reds LoL...

edit. ef is correct. there is much innovative here and furthermore he is right about a lull in innovation.

michael.

Last edited:

I agree wholeheartedly with much of what you say here, the only exception being the supposed lack of innovation.. I think it would be better labeled as a "lull" in innovation. I remain optimistic that as the technology behind lasers progresses, more innovation will happen here and elsewhere.

LPF is still the largest laser forum, and thus it represents the whole of the laser hobbyist community in terms of the innovation and ingenuity that occur. I still see posts here that grab my attention, and I don't see that stopping any time soon, but as our community grows, its dynamic will change.. and not always for the better. More and more minds = more and more points of view, many of which will clash.

ped

Things move on.

Otherwise it'd become very stale.

I absolutely agree with you, michael. +1 for a guy who decided to spit this fact out.
I too remember the first time I seeked for help here :) Browsing jayrob's projects all around the forum and getting ideas about my builds. Not that I can't do that anymore, but as you said, everybody is here trying to make a buck, fighting, reviewing Laser Companies etc, can't help at all :( Gotta miss those times. Guess nothing stays the same.

ped

Yup time waits for no man.

Dont get me wrong, i love "enthusiast" sites..were people muddle together, help each other out and work out problems, not for profit, but just because they can. I think this site has a bit of both, yes there has been a lot of fighting, but thats easing off now, and were getting back to what this site is about. I like interacting with the knowledgable members, some of them have some insane skills, Jarobs kits, flaminpyros wire :p , andy_cons epic builds ect, I watch all these things with awe and maybe a bit of jealousy :).

but all in all I think, yeah the site has changed, but is it really for the worse?

0.02c

it still is there or other wise i would have never dreamed of trying make my scanner!!! but i think you get my point. i think us as a whole have lost sight of the "enthusiast" part.

ped, i am not saying it is the worst or even bad. just as ef said a lull.

ped

i think us as a whole have lost sight of the "enthusiast" part.

I hear ya.

A lot of what I/we do though is still enthusiast stuff, and a lot of us still come to LPF to check out whats happening , afterall this is the only place i come to get kits and find out the latest "in" thing.

Like just recently the c@$io A150 was released, and it was an LPF who stumped up the cash to buy one and test "the goods" .

Who else would have done that?

Thats an enthusiast right there.

ped

The sure thing is that it hasn't change in a good way.

Well i guess you cant please everyone.

The thing that did my head in was all the fighting and bickering but *touch wood* thats slowing down.

cd520

People tend forget with as many post's on this site just about any answer can be found by searching. This leads to less posting/helping as "back in the day". You also have to think almost everything at this point now has been done/made before and a lot of people disregarding showing there own builds.

cs84880702, you've posting a lot, posts that don't add anything to the discussion. I don't know what you're doing, but it irritates me and I'd appreciate if you posted more constructively. Quality matters more than postcount.

He works for pickegg. There are at least 4 of them, last I counted. They are trying to be sneaky and build post counts so they look reputable.

I think A lot of it is caused by monopoly-ization. Very few people willing to machine. And even if they can, they have to want to.

445 diodes are strangely going up in prices, even though projectors are dropping, I think it is because they can get the higher prices that they do it.

Why are the prices of 445nm diodes going up...
Simple people being a pain in the ass, both me and pontiacg5 got sick of it. we were making almost nothing and on top of that had to deal with the constant crap from the why is it not here. whats going on. i am going to do a charge back.
After i finished up with all that crap, i said never again.
I will do another in some time but i will be only taking respected members just because you registered does not mean you can buy them. and if i do it this way and shit still goes the way it was when it was public will be the last time.
but hey selling them at 38.50$ a diode was not a bad price.

I appreciated you guys' service to the community. I've always figured, "If it's not here, then it is definitely somewhere" My stuff always shows up. People are just impatient. The ONLY diode I got a little up in arms about was the zombie from DTR.

38.50 is a shit ton Cheaper than anyone else on here. I notice a lot of things are going up in price because of greed. People care more about the $$$ than helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.