Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The LED Thread

That's amazing FML!!! I wanna try to make an LED ball now!

I get most of my LEDs from LED Shoppe.

-Tony

For top of the line Cree products at kind of pricy prices, there's cutter electronics (in australia)

Personally, I find that the price point of sites like dealextreme and kaidomain can't be beat, even though you are a little less certain of what you are getting.

Get at least a Q5 if you are getting Cree
Cree bins, from dimmest to brightest: P4, p5, q2,q3,q4,q5,r2,r3,r4,r5

For photography you might even try to search for a Seoul Semiconductors High-CRI P4 LED. They don't quite have the output that other LEDs have these days, but they also don't have the 70-80 CRI that most LEDs today also have.

You might try to see if there are any GB in the flashlight modding forum, CPF.

Cree may make the most efficient LED's, but Luminus holds the record for the brightest. 2200 lumens @ 36 watts.

All I was saying is that the LEDs labeled P4 or Q2's are older technology. There was another tech jump when Cree added the XP-G to their product line, though I think it's still debatable whether they just kept the same current density and increased drive current by increasing chip area or if there is more going on there. Didn't know that the S2 had shipped. That's exciting! I'm more excited, though, about having brighter warm tints. One of these days I'm gonna get me a few of those 5B_'s *drool*

Honestly, I didn't want to be too specific, it all depends on what the user wants. projection? might decide to stick with the good ol' xr line. full output and best efficiency? XP-G all the way.

I know it doesn't count for jack-diddly, but I still think Lamina Ceramics made the coolest looking LEDs :p

Last edited:

Morgan

Well, I ordered 3 P4s from DX. Thanks for that pointer Charlie, just the place. I know they're not the brightest but for portfolio and prototype points they'll be fine. I think then I'll try and get the funding stumped up for one of those 10 - 20Watt LEDs. The colour temperature is not perfect but it'll show it can work and then it's just a hunt for the right colour.

Thanks for now...

M
:)

I cranked up my Red Phlatlight LED tonight.

It is rated for over 8 amps,

but a 2 amps my eyes were done.

Focused into a red spot light, it was pretty impressive.

LarryDFW

I cranked up my Red Phlatlight LED tonight.

It is rated for over 8 amps,

but a 2 amps my eyes were done.

Focused into a red spot light, it was pretty impressive.

LarryDFW

Yeah them leds are pritty mad , At 8.1 amps they will burn plastc tape ..

Ion

Yeah them leds are pritty mad , At 8.1 amps they will burn plastc tape ..

Ion

Awesome, I have a pair on the way. I can't spend too long messing with them unfortunately, they're destined for another project...

Well, I ordered 3 P4s from DX. Thanks for that pointer Charlie, just the place. I know they're not the brightest but for portfolio and prototype points they'll be fine. I think then I'll try and get the funding stumped up for one of those 10 - 20Watt LEDs. The colour temperature is not perfect but it'll show it can work and then it's just a hunt for the right colour.

Thanks for now...

M
:)
Glad to be of assistance, let us know how it goes. My school just buy in bulk from RS/Rapid, and I doubt the savings would be huge anyway.

what pins are you all using to power it, and it runs on 12V right?

Luminus have a datasheet on their website. IIRC it might have an odd connector, but I don't have mine to hand yet so I can't comment further.

That is the exact LED that is in the projector, connector and all.

Thanks!