Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The LED Thread

A tribute to the lasers diode's cousin, the noble LED.

Post pictures of the various LED based things you've made.

This is my PIC based LED mood lamp. It's based off the 16f628a and it uses PWM to cycle through all the colors of a 3W RGB LED emitter. The electronics are all submerged in a glass full of Clear Cast resin. The shade is made form some UV paper and I've got a screen from an old speaker to make a really cool pattern on the paper. The project is super easy to make and it's not too expensive. It's my favorite desktop LED creation.

Here's the link;
High Power LED mood Lamp

DSC09136.jpg

DSC09138.jpg

DSC09161.jpg

DSC09162.jpg

DSC09142.jpg

DSC09139.jpg

DSC09137.jpg

DSC09141.jpg

DSC09140.jpg

This is my LED tree. It's pretty straight forward, it's just time consuming to make. Again all the electronics (resistors) are submerged the that resin. I used a piece of Bamboo as a base and it looks cool!

DSC09133.jpg

DSC09134.jpg

DSC09135.jpg

This is my Litchtenberg figure. I didn't make the figure because unfortunately I don't have a means to irradiate a piece of acrylic with a powerful electron beam, but I digress. I just made the base with 13 blue LEDs.

I got mine here BTY;
Stoneridge Engineering's Rare Lichtenberg Figure Sculptures - Gallery 1

DSC09143.jpg

DSC09144.jpg

DSC09145.jpg

I've got color changing LEDs mounted on the underside of my desk. It looks cool in the dark.

DSC09152.jpg

This is one of my cleverest ideas. Have you ever seen those TVs that have LEDs lights to illuminate the back wall? Awesome right!? I know! So I decided to make some LEDs for my TV. The cool part is that my TV has a USB slot on the back so that gave me a 5v power source for the LEDs. They turn on and off with the TV without the need for batteries or any switches. I used 20 green and 20 Blue LEDs and covered the array with UV paper to diffuse the light. USB 2.0 ports can supply about 250mA at 5v safely so go nuts!

BTY the vid is of my old setup with just blue LEDs. Blue/Green looks better.

LED TV Light Mod

DSC09146.jpg

DSC09148.jpg

DSC09150.jpg

DSC09149.jpg

Here is my flashlight collection from DX.
These are my favorites.
DealExtreme: $13.50 RC-C3 Cree LED Flashlight Gray (1.3V~4V CR123A)
DealExtreme: $19.82 Ultrafire C1 Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory LED Flashlight (2*CR123A/1*18650)

DSC09155.jpg

I've got more LEDs than I know what to do with so I need you guys to post pics of LEDs stuff you've built so I can get more ideas!

DSC09159.jpg

Every color...
DSC09153.jpg

-Tony

All I can say is holy crap, you just made me want to order a crapload of LEDs!

That deserves a +10, but you will have to make do with a +1 :D

TTerbo

WHY ARNT THOSE TORCHES LASERS YETTT :p
jk
nice collection. how much were all those LEDs
cheers

Kenom

My absolute favorite led is the Cree XP-G with a very very small footprint the size of a luxeon rebel, they put out an AMAZING amount of light.. Rivals any simple single cree emitter hands down.

Very nice! You do need to get an R5, they are amazing. Just a tiny bit less light than a P7, with 3x the runtime.

I like the tree you made! I have to make one if I find some nice wire and SMD LEDs!

My stuff:

Warm white illuminated stairs:
ambient068.jpg

ambient069.jpg

ambient070.jpg

RGB controlled cabinet:
LED027.jpg

LED028.jpg

LED032.jpg

More RGB outside:
LED040.jpg

USB light. Has two modes: Spot and diffuse.
P1020039.jpg

P1020042.jpg

P1020044.jpg

P1020051.jpg

P1020054.jpg

Joule thief:
joulethief.jpg

4.jpg

2-2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

17.jpg

7-1.jpg

Joule thief flashlights:
LED2040.jpg

Arrays:
LED2032.jpg

RGB string with controller:
LED2044.jpg

LED2048.jpg

LED2049.jpg

The almighty 20 x 12 LED matrix:
ledmatrix089.jpg

LEDMatrix10.jpg

P1060014.jpg

P10600012.jpg

P10600052.jpg

LED2059.jpg

LED2060.jpg

LPF003-1.jpg

Oh, and I made this thing:

Also this:

I also have a big discrete LED collection, but that's another thread I think.

Great stuff guys... This is really making me wish I had decent soldering skills.
undecided.gif

Sweet collections! I gotta stop sleeping.

@FML I want to clone your USB light. :D The case is kind of reminiscent of a TP roll holder. What was it? :thinking:

@Xplorer Loving the clear resin for the mood lamp & in particular that awesome tree. Looks just like roots below water.

It's made out of plastic tube couplers used for electrical pipe/tube installation in walls etc.

Morgan

Good work for all of you! Some nice gadgets there. I like the electronics set in resin.

This is the LED thread so I think this is on topic...

Any good sources from the experts on LEDs? I'm looking but RS Components and the like are extortionate.

I've tried Lumeon and Philipslumileds too but can never seem to get the same product up twice. I need a 5600K white for camera work. Needs to be as small as possible with maximum, (even considering overdriving it), optical output. 3 chips on a heatsink would be good but if one will do it...

Any ideas or suggestions from you guys will help.

Thanks,

M
:)

Morgan You could try rapid electronics thye have good prices i think .

I have only ever made one led project using a arduino , 3 watt RGB led and sensor . I made a lamp that you shake to change the colour of it , no pics though atm

Very nice collections :p , i have loads of leds but never seem to use them , need to stard thinking of somthing :)

Lumify

That stuff looks fantastical! When did this other lighting category come into existence...

Great stuff guys... This is really making me wish I had decent soldering skills.
undecided.gif

Go to RatShack at buy a POS soldering iron (I use a grounded 15 Watt one they sell), solder, some thin wire (20-30 gauge), and desoldering braid. Get some broken old electronic device and take the circuit board out. Just practice soldering components on and off it until you get the feel for it. It's not as hard as it seems, and it's a really useful skill!

Morgan

Morgan You could try rapid electronics thye have good prices i think .

I have only ever made one led project using a arduino , 3 watt RGB led and sensor . I made a lamp that you shake to change the colour of it , no pics though atm

Very nice collections :p , i have loads of leds but never seem to use them , need to stard thinking of somthing :)

Thanks Ion',

I've tried RS, Rapid, etc, all the usual end user suppliers but they charge stoopid money. I'm hoping to find a contact similar to how we get LDs.

It also has to be a single colour diode, (although I like the sound of your, 'shake a colour', light!). Photography studios use 5600-5700K white as a standard for flash units, (industry agreed, 'closest to natural daylight', colour temp). There is limited space too so brightest is best.

Still looking guys...

Thanks,

M

Thanks Ion',

I've tried RS, Rapid, etc, all the usual end user suppliers but they charge stoopid money. I'm hoping to find a contact similar to how we get LDs.

It also has to be a single colour diode, (although I like the sound of your, 'shake a colour', light!). Photography studios use 5600-5700K white as a standard for flash units, (industry agreed, 'closest to natural daylight', colour temp). There is limited space too so brightest is best.

Still looking guys...

Thanks,

M

DX do bags of LEDs and individuals of higher power, or I can ask at school and find out who they are supplied by. What colours and outputs are you looking for?

Morgan

One at a time on this one Charlie...

DX do bags of LEDs and individuals of higher power, or I can ask at school and find out who they are supplied by. What colours and outputs are you looking for?

Cool, I'll give them a go.

Probably going to find out they use Rapid and RS too but they will get preferential rates. I'll try and get a part number for a comparison.

Got to be white, 5600-5700K and the brightest possible. Upto to 1 Amp input per chip seems to be the way to go. Something like the Luxeon Rebel, (I think that's a luxeon product, and the right name).

M