Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The laser points at the Galactic Center of the Milky Way, our galaxy

"The bright object at center is Jupiter, while the other is Antares"

Let's discover what nm or/and what type of laser do they use with these monster telescopes.

Pointing at Galactic Center of the Milky Way is not a joke.

ig388-05-eso0733a-02.jpg

Are there any Astronomers here?

Picture, some quoted text from space.com

:beer:

Last edited:

Blord

Great picture ! I always love astronomy photo's.

You know that at center of the Milky Way there is a supermassive black hole. The laser disturb it and now it is looking for us.... :D

DrSid

What I could find:

Wavelength: 589nm
Power: 16-20W CW
Type: dye, pumped with Argon or 532nm Verdi V2 laser (looks like DPSS)
Aperture size: 50cm

There are some interesting PDFs if you google for 'vlt guide laser power'.

Last edited:
What I could find:

Wavelength: 589nm
Power: 16-20W CW
Type: dye, pumped with Argon or 532nm Verdi V2 laser (looks like DPSS)
Aperture size: 50cm

There are some interesting PDFs if you google for 'vlt guide laser power'.

Now , I wonder if pilots have a special instruction how to avoid flying over these telescopes.

Imagine 20W hitting the aircraft.

:undecided:

Blord

20 Watt across a beam of 50cm isn't much power density. It is more like a lighthouse on seashore.

20 Watt across a beam of 50cm isn't much power density. It is more like a lighthouse on seashore.

You think that 20W hitting the cockpit wouldn't distract the pilot flying an aircraft ?

Hmm interesting

DrSid

To hell with pilots .. such plane would RUIN TEH PICTURES !

Blord

The laser isn't following the aircraft. Imagine the aircraft is moving with a speed of 600mile/hour though the beam of 50cm at 30.000feet. And the pilot is watching right at the source of the beam. How long would be an eye in the laserbeam ?

***edit*** correct 600Mil/sec to 600Mil/hour :D

Last edited:
The laser isn't following the aircraft. Imagine the aircraft is moving with a speed of 600mile/sec though the beam of 50cm at 30.000feet. And the pilot is watching right at the source of the beam. How long would be an eye in the laserbeam ?

600 mi/sec?? at that velocity, the pilot wouldn't even notice the beam.

DrSid

Actually it seems there is special camera which watches for air traffic .. and shuts down the beam automatically. One PDF mentions this, but it's very vague.

DrSid

Btw. that laser table .. what is it ? While it has some orange laser in it, I doubt it is the VLT guiding laser, as that one is supposed to be a lot larger .. and this also does not look like 20W.

Edit: my bad .. it seems it really is exactly the laser .. http://www.mpe.mpg.de/ir/parsec/lab.php

Last edited:
Btw. that laser table .. what is it ? While it has some orange laser in it, I doubt it is the VLT guiding laser, as that one is supposed to be a lot larger .. and this also does not look like 20W.

Edit: my bad .. it seems it really is exactly the laser .. PARSEC - the laser for the VLT

It looks like Coherent is making welding equipment

@weeba2kv

Thanks for posting that pic of the Coherent Laser setup, that is a really awesome looking. :beer: