Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Golden Company: LPF's Compendium of the Rare Yellows, from Chartreuse to Amber.

No problem lildutchboy7, :)
589nm is a great wavelength to own, it has a slight touch of amber in with golden yellow. And it's colour changes in different light levels. As for the brightness, It is roughly comparable to that of a 40-50mW 532nm laser depending on how overspec your laser is of course. Look forward to seeing yours when you have it ;)

got any good places to get one? :D

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I brought mine from Dragon lasers and have had no problem with mine, my Aurora (5mW) and Spartan (50mW) are both overspec. The Aurora mode hops every now and then, but the Spartan I have never seen do it. But CNI is another choice to bare in mind.

I brought mine from Dragon lasers and have had no problem with mine, my Aurora (5mW) and Spartan (50mW) are both overspec. The Aurora mode hops every now and then, but the Spartan I have never seen do it. But CNI is another choice to bare in mind.

Wow those are pretty expensive :eek:

I'll probably watch the Buy and Sell section and see if anyone offers up another Spartan then. I don't usually have $500 laying round for a laser :crackup:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, there is a price to pay for yellows still. They are slowly becoming more popular among hobbyists but are still rare. If you think that is expensive, take a look on the internet for a lab 589nm dpss. They are ludicrous for such little output. I usually buy labs nowadays, but the prices were too much for me to contemplate.
Good luck :D

Sta

Hello folks, some of you were disputing my LPM readings, so here is some proof...
Laser doesn't get to 162mW (all-time peak) but it does get to 152, which is the typical peak. Reaches that on almost every run.
LPM was Ricker's, he only used it about 20 times, so it should be pretty close to calibrated. :beer:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That is a powerful 589. I keep meaning to lpm mine, but I keep forgetting that I need to get a converter plug. Very nice Sta :)

Hello folks, some of you were disputing my LPM readings, so here is some proof...
Laser doesn't get to 162mW (all-time peak) but it does get to 152, which is the typical peak. Reaches that on almost every run.
LPM was Ricker's, he only used it about 20 times, so it should be pretty close to calibrated. :beer:

Thats truly amazing Sta. You got the mack daddy Spartan by far! Thx for showing us.

pretty impressive if that LPM is accurate. wonder how the beam quality is while its like that. Though I don't personally trust anything but an Ophir for laser readings. those cheap sensors aren't very accurate generally, especially on a hot day.

Last edited:

Sta

pretty impressive if that LPM is accurate. wonder how the beam quality is while its like that. Though I don't personally trust anything but an Ophir for laser readings. those cheap sensors aren't very accurate generally, especially on a hot day.

The beam quality is actually pretty great! It's perfectly round, and there is almost no splash. The splash is only visible at very close range or if you cover the beam. :)

I will be making a video about it soon, along with my 593.5nm pointer (still in transit) that I recently bought from a member. It can pop balloons and light matches without focusing. Pretty impressive for a yellow!

Last edited:
I think my favorite yellow if 586. its a nice bright lemon yellow. 577 is also a nice lemon color, but has a hint of green in it and so does 583...and 589 and 594 are hitting on the orange range.

Sta

I think my favorite yellow if 586. its a nice bright lemon yellow. 577 is also a nice lemon color, but has a hint of green in it and so does 583...and 589 and 594 are hitting on the orange range.

How do you have 583.8 and 586? Are they gas laser lines?

Last edited:
How do you have 583.8 and 586? Are they gas laser lines?

They're solid state lines (and chemical lines). There's a few ways to get them, but I won't go into detail about it here. It's kind of a loosely guarded secret for now. I do plan to post pics however, I've just been lazy. I've got literally like 7 posts to make, but they're all gonna be huge like my last few, and haven't had the time. They're coming though...you can be sure.

Last edited:
They're solid state lines (and chemical lines). There's a few ways to get them, but I won't go into detail about it here. It's kind of a loosely guarded secret for now. I do plan to post pics however, I've just been lazy. I've got literally like 7 posts to make, but they're all gonna be huge like my last few, and haven't had the time. They're coming though...you can be sure.

Can you at least tell us if they're doubled/tripled etc. lines?

Guess I'll briefly add myself to this list.

568nm - Krypton line from a Melles Griot 643 mixed gas unit.

589nm - CNI PGL-III-C 80mW (121mW peak).

593.5nm - Rigel 5mW.

594.1nm - Melles Griot LYR-173 4.2mW (also with a hair of 604nm for good measure).

Eracoy

The Spartans have always seemed to me to be both overspec and reliable. A yellow laser can be fickle, but I would trust a Spartan to do well. I just bought one myself (review to come) and think it will be a quality piece in my collection for some time to come.

I will be making a video about it soon, along with my 593.5nm pointer (still in transit) that I recently bought from a member. It can pop balloons and light matches without focusing. Pretty impressive for a yellow!

I'm impressed by the power of that. 593.5's are usually lower-power (I'm thinking of the Auroras). Do you have any numbers on it?

Last edited: