Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The first time you've seen a new wavelength

The first time I ever saw 650nm I must have been a kid, I had a little dinky 5mW pointer ever since I can remember. Then in 2000 I bought my first 5mW 532nm (my fav color) at Fry's and when I first saw the color I was infatuated by it's deep saturation. Nothing that I've seen sine looked more or a lustrous green than 532nm. Then fast forward to like 2008 when I made my first 20mW 405nm laser out of a PS3 sled. Again I was amazed by it's rich violet color. A few months ago I bought a 635nm Z-Bolt pointer, this time it wasn't as spectacular because it's so similar to 650nm, but still very mesmerizing.

Then today, unexpectedly, I saw 473nm. I went to Guitar Center with my buddy to kill some time and jam out a bit. I walked in the back where the have all the lighting set ups and what not, just looking around... then I saw it.... it was a blue and green laser scanner set up projecting onto the adjacent wall.

drooling-1.gif

I walked over to it and stared for like 5 minutes. It was 30mW of pure amazingness. I'd descried it as more turquoise-ish than deep blue. It was very bright. My friend was like "what's the big deal it's just a stupid light". He'll never understand. Lol, it caught me off guard.

I'm a wavelength guy, not a mW guy. I'll take 5mW of an exotic wavelength over a powerful output of a common wavelength any day. Who cares about burning stuff, that's stupid, but show me a color I've never seen before and I'll do backflips. Although I wouldn't mind a 589nm laser that could burn stuff, that'll be cool. What I mean is I value wavelength WAY more than power output.

I should have my 445nm build done soon but now I want a 473nm laser too. :(

Does anyone else get mesmerized by new wavelengths? Or am I just weird?

-Tony

Morgan

Totally!

I've described to people before that when I see a new wavelength it sits on my retinas for days. I get an, 'after taste', where I can, 'see', the colour even when it's not around. It's a wonderful addition to my personal pallet when I'm exposed to new ones.

My first single line 488nm Argon hit me really well, (maybe because it was gas?). This 445nm was also pretty splendid. Like exotic foods, I crave new colours!

Spot on Xplorer877, you're not alone!

M
:)

the 405nm pointer i got from o-like recently was my first violet. strange that you describe it as a deep violet, mine seems to be a light lilac lol.

i mostly get mesmerised by beams which is why i like power so much. wavelength very important too. the colour/s of lasers are so pure somehow, since its monochromatic, quite refreshing to look at, and different colours give the laser a different feel to me. red is a kind of old, reliable and comfortable feel to it. the violet is a bit more new, exciting and a little dangerous in feel, to exaggerate slightly.

Moptsp

I know when I first saw 532nm (my WL core) I was amazed. I have never seen any other colors in laser form but 650nm, 635nm, and 532nm. I want to see some 473nm my self! :D Looks real purdee in pictures and videos, so I know it would with my own eyes.

I know what you mean when you say you are wavelength vs power. I'm not saying I'm that way as right now I'm out to "get more power." However; I could easily see that becoming old for anyone and just enjoying the beauty in the long run. Because, heck, you should not be looking at 200mw+ no matter the color on a white wall! So that's definitely the plus to lower powered lasers.

Listen to the first ~16 secs of laser rap part II. That is how I reacted the first time I powered up my 445nm :whistle:

I visited HMike at his place, and within 5 mins he showed me 594.5nm, 473nm, and 635nm... needless to say I was a bit overwhelmed.

I have laser-gasms every time I see a new wavelength. I've seen every common diode wavelength (405, 445, 635, 650, etc) as well as 532 and 473 DPSS. I also have a small HeNe tube which I believe is 632nm. The only thing I have left on my need-to-see-list is a yellow DPSS.

Then today, unexpectedly, I saw 473nm. I went to Guitar Center with my buddy to kill some time and jam out a bit. I walked in the back where the have all the lighting set ups and what not, just looking around... then I saw it.... it was a blue and green laser scanner set up projecting onto the adjacent wall.
-Tony

Hey Tony! Is that the Guitar Center in San Marcos? Did you ask the how much for it?? :D

Though so :D I saw the same model at the San Diego store.

The 473nm is really a nice "blue" beam, I liked it and looked into getting a module but they were, are, really expensive. Hopefully with the 445nm's so inexpensive, the 473nm will come down to were is attractive to my pocket.

Yeah that'll be nice but I don't know if CNI will lower the prices of their 473nm lasers to compete with 445nm portables. I hope they will, but I kinda doubt it. Give it another few years and they'll likely be much more affordable. For me it's not the fact that it's so expensive, it's more of that sense of not even wanting to use it because they're so rare and expensive, you know? I'd baby it to the point where I wouldn't even want use it too much.

My 445nm build is going to be respectively MUCH cheaper for what you get so I can take it with me when ever I want and not be devastated if something did happen to it. Also that diode is really tough. 1.4W seems to be the max safe current, so my 800mW CR123 build should have a very long life expectancy.

But I will get a 473nm one of these days. Just gotta be patient.

-Tony

I'm too young to appreciate the Beetles, but when I was a young lad I went to the local planetarium to see laser Beetles.

The audience sat in those comfy seats and stared at the ceiling as the projector started. With the aid of 3d glasses I was hooked!

As I got older and went to clubs, at first I spent more time watching the lasers than the people in the club, really hooked. Being up close to this light just gave me the craving for more.

My first red was also a little 5mW pointer and eventually a green pointer. Of course that didnt end there. I had to buy as many different colors as possible.

I have since aquired several different wavelengths, and added a scanner to my home entertainment center.

I'm sure if I reach a ripe old age of 80 or so, I will still have the latest colors in my collection to play with and keep me from going senile.

Power is fun, but if I want power I can go burn stuff with my 60W diode bar.

The hunt for new wavelengths continues, my newest acquisition should get me some new flavors :)

CIMG15312.JPG

No, it's not argon :)

Power is fun, but if I want power I can go burn stuff with my 60W diode bar.

The hunt for new wavelengths continues, my newest acquisition should get me some new flavors :)

No, it's not argon :)

Is it a krypton laser? Don't those have argon mixed with krypton?