Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Cyan Cannon Vll Build

This is why I go with achromatics doublets/triplets positive lenses on my RGB SF, to minimise focal shift because of refractive index. They work pretty good..of course lenses must be high quality.

PCX achromatic?

Definition: An achromatic lens or achromat is a lens that is designed to limit the effects of chromatic and spherical aberration. Achromatic lenses are corrected to bring two wavelengths (typically red and blue) into focus in the same plane.

......Interesting

Last edited:
I believe in this case he is talking about compound lenses, similar to camera lenses. As far as I know there is no single lens that will correct for all color aberrations. A spatial filter needs to focus all light, usually one color, to converge at a pinhole. Anything that doesn't is blocked, so when you are using optics of any kind, it introduces aberrations into your system. In holography it is best to have your reference beam clean of any noise introduced by these optics. A spatial filter does that.

OK...Maybe CDBEAM is not an "Optics Nub"....But....I still have much to learn !!

Thinking about it....typically...refraction is accompanied by the prismatic effect...But...the discussion regarding "Achromatic lenses"...new to me....Well...whatever....I am fascinated by Optics theory....but....I am learning all the time ! It's all good...

I am more of a " Hands-on" person....we each have our talents...and the valuable part is to share !!! There are not too many days that pass...that I do not learn something about optics on LPF. :wave::wave:

Later,
CDBEAM

Last edited:
Wish I could find a PCX achromatic aspherical lens, or can they even exist? I could use that as a collimator for an RGB laser.

You know I'm not sure what effect chrome aberration might have on collimation. I know it matters when trying to focus an image or a large field of colors through a tiny pinhole. That is a question I don't have an answer to off the top of my head.