Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The 6 X Blu-Ray Club - ....Now 209mW's!

jayrob

Update: Getting 26% more power now! :D Using my 405-G-1 glass lens mod: http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22497

(starting out low) I got my 6 X blu-ray badge today. I wanted to show a couple of pictures...
GGWH20L.jpg

* I have the adjustable DDL style driver set at 100mA's.
* Using a Meredith acrylic lens, I got a reading of 100.6mW's.
* I then tried it with the Meredith glass lens, and got quite a difference in the reading! 130.5mW's!

Here are a couple of beam comparison shots:
3 beam1.jpg

Taken in normal garage light, with some smoke...
From left to right:
My 16.7mW PS3 blu-ray
My 63.2mW 2 X writer blu-ray
Last but not least, my 6 X blu-ray - 130.5mW's!
3 beam2.jpg

Please let me be in the 6 X club now...
Jay

P.S. An interesting side note about the 16.7mW PS3 build... This was my measurement using a Meredith acrylic lens @ 38mA's. Here in these pictures, it has a Meredith glass lens. The measurement with the Meredith glass lens is 23.2mW's! This is quite a difference. With both my PS3 blu-ray, as well as the new 6 X build, by switching to the Meredith glass lens, I have gotten a 30% increase in power. Or, multiply the acrylic lens reading by a factor of ( X 1.3 ).

For the open can reds at 420mA's. The increase is about 20%...

Update! After talking with GooeyGus about how high he has his 6 X running, (and just recently IgorT) I decided to turn my 6 X up to 191mA's. I upgraded to a FlexDrive as well. :) I really like the Meredith glass lens for a blu-ray! :)

209mW's! - SCHWEET! :D (Coherent PM5200 meter)
Jay
GGWH20L-209mW.jpg

Last edited:

Re: The 6 X Blu-Ray Club - Schweet!

Jay -- Nice work.  I had better output with plastic but don't argue with success !! I've never had a Meridth lens to try. I may have to get one.

Membership in the 6x club is $300.  Please send DrLava and me $150 each immediately  :D

Mike

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
Jay -- Nice work.  I had better output with plastic but don't argue with success !!

Membership in the 6x club is $300.  Please send DrLava and me $150 each immediately  :D

Mike

Lol!...Hey I don't mind owing. Ask any of my creditors. I double checked the readings. The Meredith glass is putting out much more. Just like it does with the reds. Did you do your comparison with AixiZ lenses? I have gotten very consistent results with the Meredith. I have noticed that the Meredith acrylic is very similar to the AixiZ acrylic (for reds), as long as the black plastic is cut away on the AixiZ...
Jay

There has to be a difference in the two glass lens assemblies.  --- coatings, FL, opening ???  Measure some parameters sometime
Mike

Oh -- We may forgo the membership fees for you since the club is small !!!

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
There has to be a difference in the two glass lens assemblies.  --- coatings, FL, opening ???  Measure some parameters sometime
Mike

Oh -- We may forgo the membership fees for you since the club is small !!!

There are only 4 of us that I know of. Very happy! Thanks for your work and help. You and drlava both...
Jay

Jay --
Enjoy your success and welcome to the 6x club  ;D  Mine is a bit temp sensative but I'm looking for Merdith now.  I need a lens to test.

Mike

What do you order from them to get the glass lens?

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
Jay --
Enjoy your success and welcome to the 6x club  ;D  Mine is a bit temp sensative but I'm looking for Merdith now.  I need a lens to test.

Mike

Man I would send you one to test, but I just used my last glass lens on the new blu-ray. I have a couple of Meredith acrylic lenses, but those really aren't the ones that are showing the difference in power. Those give the same power as the AixiZ acrylic. (with black plastic cut away)
Jay

P.S. If you buy a Meredith, you will need the 5.6mm adapter as well:
http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&keywords=diode_op

whoa thats AMAZING.

how much did it set u back???

130mw......too much :O

That little glass lens says a single element.  Could be part of it.

LDC-2 ?? LDC-10 ?? Looks like you have the 2
Mike

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
That little glass lens says a single element.  Could be part of it.
Mike

Yes, LDC-2. Makes sense about the single element Mike. All I know is I got 30mW's more with the 6 X blu-ray at 100mA's. And I have consistently gotten about 40mW's more with the open can builds at 420mA's. I will bet my 6 X that you will see the same when you try it!

nikokapo said:
whoa thats AMAZING.

how much did it set u back???

130mw......too much :O

The drive is the big cost. I got mine for $327 (GGW-H20L) - shipping included. (E-bay) As I type, it is the cheapest that I have seen ($259 with free shipping) from a reputable dealer here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136137
(Thanks to Hemlock Mike and drlava for 1st showing this drive!)
The Meredith glass lens with 5.6mm adapter plus shipping - $47 bucks: http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&keywords=diode_optics
The host was $10 bucks from DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3405
Using that host for a blu-ray, needs 3 X AAA (sized) 3.6 volt 10440 batteries: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.974
The only other cost was the driver parts. DDL style, except using only a 50 ohm, 12 turn pot for resistance: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=490-2981-ND
And of course, the home made custom heatsink!
I guess the total is about $430 bucks in parts...
Jay

Switch

Don't mean to be a pain but...I hope you are planning on making some burning goodness vids of that unit in action :D

drlava

great work, glad to see you beaming :)

jayrob

Switch said:
Don't mean to be a pain but...I hope you are planning on making some burning goodness vids of that unit in action :D

I'll tell you, for me, the attraction of the blu-ray is not the burning. I know it will burn. I easily lit a match even with my 63mW blu-ray. But I put the glass lens in this one because it lets more light out, thus the higher power reading. The compromise, is that the glass lens doesn't allow the super tight focus. It will still burn though. I say leave the burning for the open can reds. That violet beam and florescence is mesmerizing. I can see the beam in the night sky even with my 63mW blu-ray! I can't wait till tonight so I can compare how much better the new blu-ray looks outside at twice the power.

drlava said:
great work, glad to see you beaming :)

Thanks drlava! And of course, thanks also for the work you did with your awesome graph on this diode...
Jay

Jay --
I just ordered a Merideth LDC-2 ..  I have to try this.

DrLava's graph and mine were very close on the first tests. I think we were using similar modules.

Mike