Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TESTING RGB MODULE WITH NUBM07E 465nm

jors

Hi!
Just want to share a colour rendering test for a single NUBM07E 'fighting' against two 'mits' ML501P73 and two NDG7475 520nm, all cyl correction.

07E is 'double CV cyl' corrected to get below 1mrad into minimal footprint. If set to max diode is capable to deliver up to 4W for a 8W RGB (2W red, 2W green, 4W blue).
However below test is performed at 2,5W on 465nm to get a better 'white'...so this is a 6,5W RGB very well colour balanced. <5mm beam 0.9mrad full angle.
NUBM07 despite its divergence performs really great in laser PJs (if well corrected)
Love this wavelength, module is INSANELY BRIGHT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ6qZuMKWs0

BobMc

Very impressive, thanks for posting. That's one great video! That will definitely wake you up in the morning. :)

Was wondering what this would LPM at ? Sweet!! :drool:

I don't know why more of you pointer guys don't get into projectors.. if you have analog modulation you can pretty much make any color... it may not be proper wavelenght... but if the optics are good it's hard to tell the difference. Even an argon with pcaom is awesome

I don't know why more of you pointer guys don't get into projectors.. if you have analog modulation you can pretty much make any color... it may not be proper wavelenght... but if the optics are good it's hard to tell the difference. Even an argon with pcaom is awesome

Well, TBH, one reason is the minimum cost for an entry level system. That and some of the software/hardware paring can be complicating.
I think you might find my current project I'm working on interesting (Since it might have something to do with a nearly totally DIY projector).

Last edited:
Yea that may be true.. but a lot of people here spend a lot on builds.. accessories.. obscure wavelentghs.. etc. For a non public hobby grade pj the price isn't bad. You could even build a nice single mode with that opt laser module.

Benm

Impressive result.

You might indeed tune down the blue a bit to get a better white balance. If you are doing a long show you can ramp it up though, the human eye has a sort of auto-white-balancing system (not kidding) that makes up for some skew in the proportions of red, green and white.

This mechanism isn't very fast, but if your display lasts serveral minutes and is the primary source of light it can work to your advantage.

For a show you could hold back to keep proper white balance for most of it, but ramp up to running all lasers at full power for a bright finale - noone will notice the color is off if you intended it to be white, it'll just be insanely bright.

I maybe would like to go into projectors if anyone could make me clear 2 doubts:

Doubt one:
According to the many times mentioned on LPF "Relative perceived brightness calculator" the ratio between 638, 520 and 465nm is 11 : 100 : 16.

I understand it that in balanced white there will be needed 9W of red and 6W of blue for each single W of green. What means that having 2W of red from 2 PBSed Mitsu or Oclaros one can get maximum 3.55W of "pure white" RGB...
Yes, human eye can adapt to many things but will this not have a negative influence on eyesight and nerves (psycho health) after longer exposures?
Sure, health is the last thing "people of the disco night" care of but if I would do a PJ "for personal use", I would care.

Doubt two:
I did not study IT neither electronics. But I can make an RGB laser.
What pieces will I have to add to it (and at what price) in order to obtain running animations like here? It is not clear from description how they are produced but looks like they are loaded into PJ from SD card, or may be drawn by PC software called Quick play or Ishow like movies by video editing and played from notebook via cable or downloaded from a library in a web site???

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/500...lgo_pvid=98cde031-b4ed-4571-b750-d921e4f47afc

Last edited:

Benm

Those ratios of apparent brightness seem to be realistic, not nitpicking on details there at all.

Human vision is pretty adaptable though: you'll probably see things to be similar in color between couldy and sunny days, while the actual spectrum of light that enters your eye is very different between them. Don't worry about this too much if you're just getting started.

As for software: this may depend. Using ILDA frames is a fairly common method. If you want to project the image of something like a running man you project outlines of this in sequence. The laser actually draws the (outline) shape like a plotter does, it does not scan the image like a projector does.

This is not a problem unique to lasers really. Things like TV, computer and phone displays struggle as well. Many smartphones will increase power to the max if used under sunny outdoors conditions, despite that throwing the color balance off quite a bit. For the application it does not matter, you just want to be able to read the content regardless of it being a bit wrong in color.

LSG. That pj can be controlled by one... dmx.. which should have some pre loaded images and cues that you can manipulate with a dmx controller.. or two with an ilda cable that need to be connected to a pc with a dac such as pangolins quickshow or etherdream.. either direction is not very cheap

Edit. Looks like there is a SD card option to. You load up ild files into it and scroll through the files on that Lil screen... works oook..

Last edited:
Hi Benm and Fenny,

Thank you for feedback.

.Ild is the extension of the show files made by Ishow and saved to SD card, right?

Question from novice to old professionals - is this SD card slot a new feature in PJs or did it exist before? Because if the animation files could be transferred from PC to PJ by SD card interface, it would save me time to find out what DMX, ILDA cable, DAC and other compatibility things are.

Is Ishow what they have on SD card a good SW to produce animations? Seeing it is for free does not make me think so, but I found that Grix has developed Lasershowgen for 29usd and it may be a good alternative...
Or maybe I do not need any SW if there are some libraries in net where one could download animations like we do it with YT videos?

Last edited:
SD cards are not very common especially with higher end pjs... from what I've seen. Plus you can't do much live control with an SD card unless your pretty crafty. It also depends on what you want to do now... and I the future. I started with a 200$ ilda/dmx pj and didn't have any software. Just used a dmx controller to play with the effects built in the pj. Then I got quickshow and wouldn't go back unless it was for beyond. Now I got a kvant clubmax 3000!!!! Love it!!!

Benm

I would not expect any high end equipment to come with SD card slots from which it reads .ild files and displays them as a show - i guess it's more of a feature for lower end things you can buy from ebay cheaply.

Usually you'd have a computer reading the .ild file, and outputting the result to a DAC connected to the ilda input on a projector.

There are good reasons for this: The .ild file contains the image/animation you want to display, but not how it is to be scaled, or how output current/voltage is to be calculated for each color. Additionally there are timing problems to be dealt with: If you have diode red and blues, but dpss green, you need to factor in for the delay in that green laser.

To the naked eye a 532 nm dpss green seems to turn on and off instantly when you operate the switch, but in a scanning show there is considerable delay due to energy stored in the solid state laser, requiring compensation by the computer that renders the show.

I just watched another of planter's videos....this time on a projector he made using diode lasers and a DPSS 532nm green. He went into many of the optics he had to use to get the beam matching of the different systems and how he managed to get very close equivalent divergences, but nothing about the need for timing changes because of the DPSS green laser. At 7 meters he had very good matching of the beams with very little bleeding of one color from another. It was a 10 watt system with even higher powers inside the system. It was fairly well detailed and comprehensive in all it took to get it working, but nothing like you have described.

Last edited: