Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Test of diodes in NUBM08 block one by one

Benm

I guess the prices are wrong indeed, but i wonder what they actually are.

They are listed as '¥' - which would be the standard symbol for japanese yen, which are about 20 times less valuable each than chinese yens/yuans/rmb. The symbol '¥' is not that common in the chinese marketplace although it officially is one. In chine RMB or CNY is the most common way of indicating a price is in chinese yuan.

Something like 5000 RMB for a block like that seems pretty reasonable, that'd be $780 or so.

Actually it's the Chinese Yuan and right now it's 0.16 USD = 1 Yuan.

If you click on the advert it will show the USD amount under the Yuan price. ( small print )

In China the locals pay regular price and tourist pay double, but the difference on that site is not that great, on some things it is better and there are " agent " services so you can buy from China at their low price and pay 99 cents per buy, but I have not used it yet.

I think the IR modules are nor priced right.

I suspect ebay sellers want to sell off their NUGM01/02 stock before bringing in the 03 blocks that will be easy to harvest from, but the one seller has the single diodes, 525nm should look brighter than 520nm IINM, more yellow less blue.

Last edited:
im interested to see the output of the nugm03 and mostly if its cleaner as the nugm01 has a big box reflection using a g2 lens.

Yes these thin blocks would be better to harvest single LDs from but me I do not like them because I am thinking to install a block (Light engine from v1) into a 60mm cage frame from Thorlabs and just made a frame compatible holder for 8 G-2 lenses over each of 44. If this works, next step in light trail would be to add similar frames with 8 pairs of LSP cylindricals (their size is right to pass in) etc.

If blocks become thinner, the concept will have to be redesigned.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 41

Benm

Actually it's the Chinese Yuan and right now it's 0.16 USD = 1 Yuan.

Yeah, exchange rates vary indeed... I'm from a euro country myself at as a rule of thumb 1 euro is about 8 RMB if you don't care to be 10% off or less ;)

Als for vendors keeping the nugm03 blocks off the market to sell the older versions first.. mayby. They seem to be selling them at a much higher price compared to the nugm02 blocks and diodes. This is probably a smart move on their part keeping the latest model as a premium while selling existing models at about the rate they used to.

I guess there is a very limited number of people involved in getting these blocks from the projector assembly line to the parts market. Maybe you can find some in shenzen :D

Yes these thin blocks would be better to harvest single LDs from but me I do not like them because I am thinking to install a block (Light engine from v1) into a 60mm cage frame from Thorlabs and just made a frame compatible holder for 8 G-2 lenses over each of 44. If this works, next step in light trail would be to add similar frames with 8 pairs of LSP cylindricals (their size is right to pass in) etc.

If blocks become thinner, the concept will have to be redesigned.

I thought about this and have some simple drawings somewhere, the thing is you must get the G2 close to the diode before using cylindrical correction lenses and the block gets in the way, maybe using threaded inserts, but it would be better to build from scratch, here is how OPT did it, but there is not cylindrical correction, I don't know how well you could correct all the knife edged beams together, I would correct each beam first then knife edge the corrected beams.

OK I see you milled down the block, you will be relying on the flatness and factory tolerances, I would want to have adjustment for each diode as nothing ever lines up perfectly it seems. But you could make it work with a c-lens pair for each diode after the G2, but I think the C-lens pairs will be turned 90 degrees so they may be too tall ?

The way the pins exit the back of the block ( offset diode pins ) has the waveguides sitting 90 degrees from where I would want them to mount c-lens pairs, they would need to run long ways across the block and that would mean gluing them from the side.

Just by the way the V1 has 7 diodes and 1 empty hole, but you know that.

60318d1527383415-test-diodes-nubm08-block-one-one-ke8x.jpg

60320d1527391299-test-diodes-nubm08-block-one-one-blocksetup1a.jpg

Attachments

• ke8x.JPG
    ke8x.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 79
  • blocksetup1a.JPG
    blocksetup1a.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Benm

@Redcowboy:

That looks very neatly packed into that case!

Does the entire assembly come out some how you can align the mirrors? It seems nearly impossible to get to the vertical adjustments in the picture.

Also i imagine it would be a bit of a nightmare to adjust all those to make them overlap in the far field.

If you're using it for long range illumination only and don't actually need the beams to be combined i guess the factory block plus corrective optics would work just fine... it does in the intended application after all.

TB1fPAaJFXXXXb5XFXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

It's all very short range in the dlp projectors, those glass diffusers sit in front of the diode blocks, well the GBall blocks, all the 64 watts ( 2 blocks of 16 diodes ) of laser light is mostly used to pump phosphor, just like all our white LED flashlights/streetlights/headlights/ect... it's really a blue led with a yellow looking phosphor that converts blue to white or green in the projectors as green diodes are less efficient, but they are using them now, however the phosphor is very efficient....but I digress

That knife edge set up was on OPT lasers page, it looks like they built it on a flat sheet of aluminum then put that box ( walls ) over it, you can see how the base is wider, it looks like they just sat it on top, it's not even machined yet.

One thing about the blue diodes is the beam exits a tiny narrow gap at the p/n junction but it diverges unevenly, the thin part of the initial beam diverges fast while the wide part diverges slow, so it flips, you can see it by focusing a blue laser at distance and rotating it 90 degrees.

So the cylindrical lenses would have to mount as shown in my simple image and for the space that would likely mean gluing them from the side, it's like aligning the knife edge setup with the box over it, with the diodes in the block you don't have much room to work and no way to adjust run out, if your indium film holding the diodes into the block is not perfectly flat that will grow over distance, it would be better to remove the diodes and build a dedicated array that you can adjust all the alignment, because the cylindrical pairs must be aligned, you can't cheat any to move the beams or it will skew the beams like twisting a magnifying glass when holding it between the earth and the sun.

You can see the tiny p/n junction on the right in the center, the larger square on the left is the anti static device, but you know that, just saying it for our readers.

LINK TO OPT LASERS >>> https://optlasers.com/en/17-accessories-and-optics?p=3

12115-nubm06-emitter-p-n-junction-visible-through-front-mirror.jpg

Last edited: