Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tesla Coil Build Thread

Hi to all!

Before getting into lasers I worked a lot on some Tesla coil projects. I'd like to share some photos of one of my vacuum tube tesla coil (VTTC). It utilized a conventional Armstrong oscillator with a GU81M transmitting tube and a power supply based on the russian microwave oven transformer and a VG237 mercury vapour rectifier which worked in a level-shifter circuit to double the voltage from the transformer. The resonant frequency was about 300 kHz, the secondary winding is 25cm tall and 12 cm diameter. With the severe overload of the tube the length of the streamers could be up to 70 cm.

Now I'm planning to build a fully "vacuum" QCW VTTC, with all circuitry on vacuum tubes, but my laser hobby doesn't allow me to do this, its very hard to find time and place on my working table.

Attachments

• DSCN4043.JPG
    DSCN4043.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN4044.JPG
    DSCN4044.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN4045.JPG
    DSCN4045.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN4048.JPG
    DSCN4048.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN4049.JPG
    DSCN4049.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 47

Hi to all!

Before getting into lasers I worked a lot on some Tesla coil projects. I'd like to share some photos of one of my vacuum tube tesla coil (VTTC). It utilized a conventional Armstrong oscillator with a GU81M transmitting tube and a power supply based on the russian microwave oven transformer and a VG237 mercury vapour rectifier which worked in a level-shifter circuit to double the voltage from the transformer. The resonant frequency was about 300 kHz, the secondary winding is 25cm tall and 12 cm diameter. With the severe overload of the tube the length of the streamers could be up to 70 cm.

Now I'm planning to build a fully "vacuum" QCW VTTC, with all circuitry on vacuum tubes, but my laser hobby doesn't allow me to do this, its very hard to find time and place on my working table.

I followed all your posts! I'm surprised to see you're still Class 1M
I'm not like your nemmen for 1% and I'm Class 2M ... and I guess I do not deserve that class! Really do you the true heart compliments you are a skillful monster!

Продовжуйте як це ....! Заслужена мати вас на LPF

Nice Pole transformer , are you winding your own ballast ?
I have a 240vac powerstat variac that should suffice.
I might do some testing to see if I can short the secondaries of the large step down transformer and run the primary in series as An inductive ballast for the pole pig.
If I can't use the large XMERs for anything I might cut the winding off and wind my own. Typically an E I configuration has been recommended but I might improvise with the iron I got.
@laserbuilder
Great looking VTTC, how much current are you pulling? I had a problem for a while with tripping breakers.
Have you considered build a staccato for the coil?

Last edited:
I do something similar with an oil cooled arc welder , selecting a tap gives me a given kva output when used in series and with the secondary shorted , I get a range from about 1.5Kva to 8Kva in steps , Need to get a smaller one to use with it for 10-11Kva

Last edited:
Great looking VTTC, how much current are you pulling? Have you considered build a staccato for the coil?

I didn't really notice, but less then 20A. i didn't try to build a staccato, but probably I'll try... with a thyratron. But building QCW VTTC (like QCW DRSSTC but VTTC) I find more interesting and challenging. There are a couple of possible paths to achieve this. I tried one, but it was incorrect.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I've got an Eimac 3CX2500 waiting to be something. A VTTC would be a good thing for it to be I think............

MikeS

Given that he has posted photos of the parts in progress, I would sincerely hope it isn't just a ruse, as it would be going the extra mile in that regard. No, I think he's just young and inexperienced, and has never undertaken such a complicated endeavor before. Remember, LPF attracts a young crowd, it isn't all old men like us, haha.

I've made it simple for you:
f6lnbEe.png

Hi I just do not know what LV and HV stand for? Low Voltage and High Voltage?? But that does not make sense. So I must be missing something obvious :(

Hi I just do not know what LV and HV stand for? Low Voltage and High Voltage?? But that does not make sense. So I must be missing something obvious :(
Yes.

Why does that not make sense, specifically? For example, the HV (high voltage) side of the secondary is the output of the coil. I probably can't answer your question either way, but I don't understand what the question even is.

Fanky

Hi, my tesla assembly has a 0.5mm copper wire secondary winding. Which is the best copper pipe to use for the primary winding, 8mm or 9.52 mm?