Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Terminology? And sizing?

MikeSD

Parts and pieces, names, terminology and sizes.

In looking for a host assembly, to build a laser, I'm confounded by all the terminology and sizing.

For the one I built already, everything came in 2 bundles. I bought a host assembly, that included a heatsink, driver, driver module, and focusing lens. I only had to buy an M140 module from DTR and it all went together.

Best I could tell, the diode module part included the diode itself and the module it was mounted to. I think it was 12mm O.D. on the copper. Diode size ? (5.6mm perhaps)

The heatsink, had a size and was custom built for the host tube. Size? who knows. At least I don't.

Next there was the driver (diameter?) that was pre-installed in the carrier or heatsink, whatever that was called. It's diameter? Who knows?

I came here and looked at some of the custom hosts and find other references that I don't understand. For instance.

What is: 12x30 mm module (called out but I don't know what part that is).

I've also seen on the DTR site, the reference to 22mm 510 module. I think that is the complete module but includes what? And is threaded on the end. Do any of the hosts use that directly (i.e. screws in)? Does that module include a driver or just the heatsink and diode?

Bottomline: Is there a thread somewhere, that explains what all these dimensions mean, what they reference, what specifics components are required (with sizes), to mate up with a particular host? Or do hosts come complete, with everything but a diode?

Sorry to be a bonehead but I'd like to be able to order everything in one effort, without having to wait a couple weeks, only to find out something doesn't fit, or must be ordered because I was unaware I needed another part.

I know I need

1) Host
2) Batteries
3) Diode
4) Diode Module (to hold diode)
5) Heatsink (top receive the diode module)
6) Diode Driver (to power the diode)
7) Diode Driver Module (to hold and heatsink the driver)
8) Focusing lens

These would give me the components by name but the sizes for them, and how they relate to the hosts are a mystery. Are all of these pretty standard sizes, so that if I bought a DTR diode module, that most likely they would fit in any of the hosts on this site? OR do I have to be careful to get the right host, for the right diode module? The same for the driver. I know the current must match the diode but the size of the driver vs the diameter of the tube and the mounting module size, are a mystery on what to look for.

My next laser is going to be 500-700mW. I need a host to go with something like this.

Let me try to talk my way through this.
1) Diode is 5.6mm and comes with copper module that is 12mm, I think
2) What heatsink would I use to be compatible with one of the hosts here? See this is my first problem
3) Then, I'd have to select a driver, or buy this with a driver. But then, would that driver fit inside the host. Doubtful. So, if I bought a different driver (circular), I'd need a way to mount it. Again, not obvious looking at some of the host solutions.

So, what would you recommend, for a 500-700mW Red laser? Detailed list please. ;) With emphasis on understanding the terminology and sizing options.

Thanks,

PS: Or, just point me to a thread that explains all this. ;)

MikeSD

Thanks, I'll check it out.

It's not how they work or "what" I need that I have questions about. It's about fit. It's how I know which components are compatible with which hosts. For instance, for a give host, some diode drivers might fit and some might not. Diameters for circular ones as well as size of module they fit to. And the size of heatsinks. Some might fit too loosely in a host and others might not fit at all. Diameters of tubes vs heatsinks don't seem to be a spec that is mentioned.

Maybe as I read more of this, on this forum, it might become obvious. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check it out.

It's not how they work or "what" I need that I have questions about. It's about fit. It's how I know which components are compatible with which hosts. For instance, for a give host, some diode drivers might fit and some might not. Diameters for circular ones as well as size of module they fit to. And the size of heatsinks. Some might fit too loosely in a host and others might not fit at all. Diameters of tubes vs heatsinks don't seem to be a spec that is mentioned.

Maybe as I read more of this, on this forum, it might become obvious. ;)

Heat sinks are always made to fit a specific host. It will take you a little time but you will soon know what works together and what doesn't, just do a little reading here every single day for the next year or so and you can become an expert and start answering people's questions.

What country are you in? You should add that to your profile so it shows under your name, with a name like Mike I am guessing you're in the U.S. Do you know about Survival Laser? Here is a link to their U.S. store:

Survival Laser USA Home

Have a look at my build threads, especially the first 2, they may help you become more familiar with the parts:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-m140-c6-pic-heavy-83543.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-445nm-9mm-stainless-steel-host-pic-heavy-85997.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/pl520-build-1-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-88336.html#top

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/s06j-12x-build-2-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-89098.html#post1296670

Here are photos of my last build that I haven't posted a thread for:
Blue450nm Story by Pi-R-Squared | Photobucket

If you need me to I will make you a list of parts from Survival Laser to go with that DTR module.

Alan

the 22mm 510 module sold by DTR is designed to fit on Vaporizer Mods. The 510 is the thread type that screws onto the Vaporizers.

the 12x30mm is the copper part the diode is mounted inside. 12mm diameter, 30mm length.

MikeSD

What country are you in? You should add that to your profile so it shows under your name, with a name like Mike I am guessing you're in the U.S. Do you know about Survival Laser? Here is a link to their U.S. store:

Survival Laser USA Home
Alan

Yes, U.S.A.. Yes, I'm familiar with Survival Laser. In fact, I just built one

I'm looking for a host, for a 5W plus, that has a side momentary button, in addition to the end. That's what sent me here.

Those 12x30mm modules, also called "AixiZ" modules, are just a common lens diode + lens holder. DTR offers diodes pre-pressed and wired in such modules, and it makes it easy for people to fit into larger heatsinks, usually held in place with a set screw or something like that. The modules are used because it's a pain to cut threads for lenses, as well as the holes to mount the diodes into heatsinks. It's easier to just cut a 12mm hole and put the 12mm module in there instead. Plus, there are diode presses and other tools made for 12mm modules.