Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Terminate a beam

If the beam goes and hits a wall, it brightens up the room a lot and makes the actual beam harder to see because it drowns it out.

But if you can terminate the beam so that the brightness of the dot is gone, then the beam will be much clearer to see :)

Yeah, especially with greens, the dot overpowers the beam and screws up your adapted vision.

Mille

Yes i was looking to terminate the beam to see it clearly without dot reflections :)

rathat

All you need is a black box with a hole in the front, the dot at the back of the box will scatter to much for any noticeable light to reflect out. now the only things that you can shine the dot and not notice it is glass and a lit frosted light bulb lol

Kenom

put a black hole in a box and shine your laser in it. Would have to be really strong to resist the gravity of the black hole though

artix

Kenom said:
put a black hole in a box and shine your laser in it.  Would have to be really strong to resist the gravity of the black hole though

Sounds like a good idea but, where can I get a black hole?

I think black holes are now available at CERN in Switzerland.

The most common beam stop I use is a block of graphite.

Omega

Haha, thanks things and daguin ;)
And i guess murudai too, but you didnt help much :/
Now i understand, so basically its just so you can see the beam better.

My beam dump isn't quite enough for you from what I can tell. I just wanted to have the dot be controlled so that the .5W green didnt burn my wall and no one passing by would have to see the dot directly. If you want something that makes the dot much less visible, then you will need pretty much what a few others have said. Depening on power level I would get a box thats black inside and use some kind of diffusing reflector at an angle to reflect away from the opening. The quarter idea would probably work quite well.

Omega said:
And i guess murudai too, but you didnt help much :/

The time will come, young grasshopper, when the reasons behind my advice will present itself.

Maybe not now, but one day, that advice I gave may save your life ;)