Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Teardown of mobilephone cell site equipment (radio base stations)

Hi All

I would like to share my growing collection of teardowns of RF technology that primarily deals with system, power supply, amplifiers, filters and antennas from cell sites / radio base stations etc.

All the infrastructure that is necessary for your smartphone to work. This equipment is what normally connects to the antenna arrays that you see on buildings and roofs in all cities.

I have a few more teardowns of RF equipment, but also many other types of electronics on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSukTlgTEWiL-sl0UeYeJvQ

The first I want to show is a 3 part video series, expanded to 4-5 videos, about a large Nokia Siemens base station system. There was a lot of different modules and a lot to take apart and show from this system.

Nokia Siemens Flexi WCDMA (Mobile Phone) base station teardown: System station. (Part 1 of 3)

Nokia Siemens Flexi WCDMA (Mobile Phone) base station teardown: Power amplifier. (Part 2 of 3)

Nokia Siemens Flexi WCDMA (Mobile Phone) base station teardown: Antenna. (Part 3 of 3)

Nokia Siemens Flexi WCDMA (Mobile Phone) base station teardown: Power amplifier. (Part 4)

Doherty amplifier (NXP BLD6G22L-150) teardown from a Nokia Siemens PA (part 5)

The second round of teardowns revolve around the Ericsson RBS3000 and 6000 series cell site amplifiers.

Ericsson (Mobile phone) Radio Base Station RBS3202 teardown

Ericsson Radio Base Station RBS3206 teardown (cellphone)

Ericsson (Mobile phone) Radio Base Station RBS6000 teardown

I hope you will enjoy it, learn as much as I did and please do ask any questions that you could have :thanks:

Nice goodies, I've worked in RF my entire career and for play prior in ham radio.

Benm

These things are pretty amazing. The circuits in phones are tiny, but the gear on cell towers often is quite sizeable and has -amazing- design feature when looking at waveguides and stuff like that.

Most people that things like cellhpones, 3G and 4G for granted, but the technology involved to make that little thing in your phone make a connection to a base station is no easy feat!

These boards look a lot like a modern high performance WIFI routers, only a bit beefier.

Very good videos!

Last edited:
Alaskan: did you work in telecom industry?

Seoul_lasers: you mean modern high performance wifi routers look like telecom equipment ;)