Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suspect admits pointing laser at police chopper was “stupid”

Winnipeg police arrested a man Thursday after a laser pointer was aimed at the city’s new police helicopter.

Officials say that just after midnight, a green laser beam was shot from the ground and into the "Air One" helicopter several times, hitting the 39-year-old female pilot directly in the eyes.

The beams from laser pointers can distract pilots in flight, and even damage their eyes.

The helicopter crew directed police ground units to an address in the 200 block of Toronto Street, where officers found a man shining his laser pen up at the police helicopter circling overhead.

26-year-old Sheldon Friesen was arrested on the spot and is now facing several possible charges. He was released and back home later in the day.

During an interview with Global News, Friesen explained that he was simply trying to test out his new laser pointer.

“I wanted to test the range on that ‘cause I see it goes out as far as my eyes can see. There’s something to test it on, so let’s do that!” Friesen said.

“I was doing it under the innocence of just trying to find something flashy to reflect against. Turns out that was something dangerous I shouldn’t have been doing.”

Friesen said he isn’t worried about the charges he faces.

“I’m not concerned because ultimately I wasn’t doing anything wrong, I just did something stupid, and because I didn’t do anything wrong, I shouldn’t be treated as somebody who did something wrong.”

Police released a long list of charges Friesen could be facing, including Assault Cause Bodily Harm/ Assault with a Weapon, Mischief to Property/Mischief Endangering Life, Criminal Negligence Causing Bodily Harm/Death, Obstructing Public or Peace Officer, and Common Nuisance. He also may face more serious aeronautic charges in the future. Penalties under the Aeronautics Act of Canada range from fines of up to $100,000 to imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both. The Criminal Code of Canada also contains sections relating to this offence, some of which carry significant penalties, including life in prison.

"This is not a joke this is very serious," said Const. Natalie Aitken during a press conference Thursday afternoon.

“It is concerning to us that this has happened and I think somewhat surprising that the individual in this case wasn’t a youth,” Const. Aitken added.

“The education, I think, that needs to be done – this is not a joke,” Friesen agreed, “This is very serious,”

According to figures provided by Winnipeg Police Service, there were over 180 reported incidents of pilots being struck by "an intense light source" in 2010.

Suspect admits pointing laser at police chopper was

Just, Grrrr. Some people are just plain stupid.

“It is concerning to us that this has happened and I think somewhat surprising that the individual in this case wasn’t a youth,” Const. Aitken added.

This too makes me angry especially since its true.:cryyy:

Last edited:
Yep it takes all kinds, and he still dosn't think he did any thing wrong, he must need a brain transplant.

Pleading stupidity won't help His ass in Court!! He's facing some serious charges even if He can't grasp that atm.

...Friesen said he isn’t worried about the charges he faces.

“I’m not concerned because ultimately I wasn’t doing anything wrong, I just did something stupid, and because I didn’t do anything wrong, I shouldn’t be treated as somebody who did something wrong.”...
He stil hasn't learned. He didn't just do something wrong, he F'ed up pretty badly. But he's about to find out.

I guess our advice of "use common sense" regarding laser safety would only work if common sense regarding lasers is already present. Maybe all this accident reporting would get laser safety in peoples head, would be a good thing.

Benm

Pleading stupidity won't help His ass in Court!! He's facing some serious charges even if He can't grasp that atm.

I'm not so sure about that, under canadian law.

From a european perspective i think its feasible that a judge would believe his story, and that he had no intention of harming anyone, and noone was harmed either.

I do wonder if we ever here the outcome of this case, but i wouldn't be surprised if he gets away with a few 100 fine.

If he intended to harm he'd be really be screwed, but considering the legislation the US is introducing he probably won't be let off easy.

“I’m not concerned because ultimately I wasn’t doing anything wrong, I just did something stupid, and because I didn’t do anything wrong, I shouldn’t be treated as somebody who did something wrong.”

He does sound like a politician.
I don't feel bad at all that human race is facing extinction.

I hope he gets made an example of. I'm all for people going to prison for shining lasers at aircraft.