Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SurvivalLaser.com Stainless Steel Build at "2.1W" (The SL-SS)

Hey All,

2.1W - SurvivalLaser Stainless Steel Host Build

I Got the Kit from here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/n...ailable-survival-laser-photo-heavy-72074.html

This is a Build using the New Survival Lasers Stainless Steel Host Kit that was just released.

Since the Heatsink in this Host is Massive for its size and Copper on top of it, i decided to build something Powerful in it. I also decided to go with Single cell and use my X-Boost 3 mode Driver in this one because i just got a new shipment in of 18650 cells.:wave: I set the driver to 1760mA and its Just fine for this host which gives me 1 minute on 1 minute off Duty Cycles no Problem.:D But it also can fit 2x 1340 and even better 2x 18350.:D Iam Using one of My New HQ Lens that gives out More Power then a stander 3 element lens. It also give a Nice dot too.:)

Here is the Simple Build.........

Pictures:

P3050058.jpg

First i took the Driver and Mounting it to the Blank PCB. I used thermal epoxy "Arctic Alumina" to keep it cool and have no problems with overheating.

P3030022.jpg

After that was set up i push everything into the Pill and left the +/- wires that go to the diode come out the little holes.

P3030026.jpg

I then tested to make sure the driver was still set and working correctly.

P3030034.jpg

The I connect my diode and used Some shrink tube to cover the exposed Pins.

P3030036.jpg

Now its time to screw the pill into the body.

P3030039.jpg

Which looks like this when you are done.

P3030041.jpg

No you go ahead and screw the head on and leave the diode module hanging out the front.

P3030042.jpg

Like so.

P3030044.jpg

Now Get the Heatsink and stick your module through and use the set screw to hold it in place.

P3030043.jpg

I decided to set it back a little as i like this look when the focus adapter is on.

P3030045.jpg

The final thing you need to do is screw in the front bezel to hold everything in place tight.

P3030047.jpg

Which looks like this when you are done.

P3030050.jpg

Next i got my lens and used one of SurvivalLasers focus adapters. I went with the Rare Silver one that is hard to come by but blue also is Great. "See Pic Bellow"

Once you do all that Your Done.:wave:

P3030063.jpg

P3030058.jpg

P3030082.jpg

P3030078.jpg

P3030066.jpg

P3030072.jpg

P3030087.jpg

P3030088.jpg

P3030090.jpg

Short beam shots:

P3030093.jpg

P3030083.jpg

P3030091.jpg

LPM Test:

With HQ Lens.....
DSC01792.jpg

Video:

Laser in Action on High "With Fog"

Solid Beam.:drool:

Final Thoughts:

I will keep it short,Sweet & Simple....This Host Is Freaking Awesome.:wave: The heatsink is Nearly double the size of his Standard version and this allows you to have better cooling. I Love it. The Laser is only warm to the touch at 1 minute. The Finish on the Host Reminds me of a C3 which is one of my favorite hosts ever in stainless steel.

This Kit is a Steal for what you Get.

Thanks Gary the Owner of SurvivalLaser.com for making such a Nice Custom stainless steel Host and massive Copper heatsink for us.:wave:

I hope to see a New Series come out with this Stainless steel host of yours so i can add it to my collection as I own your whole Black Series Now:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/my-survival-laser-collection-whole-line-65172.html

I want the Logo brand on my Laser. :mad: :p

PS: I also Bought your XML Light and Pressure switch and Review is coming.:) The Pressure switch works Great for the all your lasers too.

As Always.....

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

&

Keep on Lazing......

Last edited:

sinner

I had a feeling about this host, it turned out to be perfect.. way better than what i had expected as it looks all the same as almost every C6 but ITS NOT!!

Nice laser! Where can one find this X-boost driver? Is it available for purchase anywhere or is it a DIY driver you made? Very interested in using one for this exact build.

Thanks Guys. I also forgot to mention that its got some weight to it. I hope he can make an Extension tube like he did for his Black series lasers but in stainless steel. That would be awesome.

It is a Driver that I make. The Driver is difficult to re flow due to the type of IC package that is being used "No Legs on the IC" Until i find a more productive way to make them its not going to be for sale.

The Lens Produces a nicer dot for being a SFL lens. It gives an Increase of power ~30% over 3 element lens.

:beer:

Garoq

Great work Angelos! :gj: I like the recessed focus ring idea. :)

Do you think we should make more of the silver extended focus rings? With or without knurling?

And I love the golden hue in some of the shots. :beer:

Looking forward to your review on our tactical flashlight. I received a comment from a customer who builds custom 1,200 lumen Xenon lights and he said it was comparable to his, though the LED has a slight bluish cast compared to the Xenon, which is expected.

Last edited:
That is unacceptable, you have to mass produce hundred of these and sell them for $30each. Okay? So I will take $20 at that price right off the bat. Let me know how I should send the $600. Thanks!
- J/K..... But if you do want to make a buck I really will make good on that offer. I ordered my kit last night and opted for the copper replacement module. Now I just need a lens and driver.

Thanks Guys. I also forgot to mention that its got some weight to it. I hope he can make an Extension tube like he did for his Black series lasers but in stainless steel. That would be awesome.

It is a Driver that I make. The Driver is difficult to re flow due to the type of IC package that is being used "No Legs on the IC" Until i find a more productive way to make them its not going to be for sale.

The Lens Produces a nicer dot for being a SFL lens. It gives an Increase of power ~30% over 3 element lens.

:beer:

Garoq

That is unacceptable, you have to mass produce hundred of these and sell them for $30each. Okay? So I will take $20 at that price right off the bat. Let me know how I should send the $600. Thanks!
- J/K..... But if you do want to make a buck I really will make good on that offer. I ordered my kit last night and opted for the copper replacement module. Now I just need a lens and driver.

That sounds like a good offer! :)

If that's aluminum in the photos, it looks pretty sharp.

Glenn

Wow... Looks great:D

Especially at 2.1W!

So with this larger heatsink are you finding 1 minute on, 1 minute off to be the maximum, or can you leave it on a bit longer?

Garoq

Especially at 2.1W!

So with this larger heatsink are you finding 1 minute on, 1 minute off to be the maximum, or can you leave it on a bit longer?

I haven't finished my testing, but my gut is telling me the "on" time could be extended to at least 1-1/2 minutes without worry.

You got a PM about something.

Great work Angelos! :gj: I like the recessed focus ring idea. :)

Do you think we should make more of the silver extended focus rings? With or without knurling?

And I love the golden hue in some of the shots. :beer:

Looking forward to your review on our tactical flashlight. I received a comment from a customer who builds custom 1,200 lumen Xenon lights and he said it was comparable to his, though the LED has a slight bluish cast compared to the Xenon, which is expected.

THanks.:) I like the Aluminium one. Its very Nice.

Aluminum or stainless? :)

BOTH BOTH BOTH.!!!!:drool: at stainless

Especially at 2.1W!

It depends really. I can run this build for Near 3 minutes no problem however i cant do that back to back.

1 minute on off duty cycles is safe practice but if you like most people well most people i know they really dont do back to back cycles.

They will turn it on until it gets Warm near hot then shut off until it cools or until they want to use it again.

But for back to back usage it great at 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds on 1 minute off is good.:)

Last edited:
3 minutes until it's too warm is excellent for a relatively small host.

Also... personal vote... knurled steel focus adapter... and aluminum version of the heatsink to complete, and while I'm at it... metal clickie:D