Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Super simply yet unique stainless host build

hey everyone,
just a build Ive been working on:thinking:
8723-stainless-host.jpg

I welded on the pocket clip.

this is a PL 520 module from DTR(thank you!)
the pill is just a hair too small for the stainless tube's ID(7/8") so the neg. lead over laps the pill to provide a snug fit against the side of the body.
8724-image.jpg

This momentary switch off ebay fits well with the host. I'm a fan of momentary switches because they aid in shortening the duty cycle. the nut is tacked on too so i can unthread the the switch to put in the 18650. also tacking that small chrome nut on was a nightmare to tig weld but it helps to have a foot pedal
8725-image.jpg

and lastly the beam shot! W/ smoke.
8726-image.jpg

yes i know the basement is a mess.
well hope you guys find this interesting, tips/suggestions always welcome.

Tmack

Very nice. That's an elegant looking pocket clip. Have to respect the 520 too.

That's actually a beautiful build D: How much did it cost to make/how long did it cost to make?

I got the 1" stainless tubing from work so that was free, more or less. The momentary switch was $7.55, the pill was $3.99 from survival laser and the G2 lens/module/diode/driver from DTR was $160. The copper heatsink i had. Something interesting I didn't photo was the spacing between the battery and the tubing, I rolled up sheets of plastic from staples so I could property center the battery though I'm sure I'm not the first person to do that.
8727-image.jpg

Practice welding the bottoms of two soda cans together. Get that down and you can weld anything.

Very nice job on the host :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice unique design; like your idea of using the nut to have threads for the switch! :cool:
Another plus is, that stainless will look good forever.

+1 good job!

sinner

Very nice looking laser, Good stuff coming from the new members lately! +1

Now, that's what I call art! Seriously nice looking host. :gj:

Also, about the usage of plastic sheet to center the battery, you're correct that you're not the only one. I will fess up; I have done this before, especially with 18650 Li-ion battery in older Dorcy Luxeon flashlight. XD

Tmack

I'm with sinner. Really seeing some great stuff coming from the new guys. The future my hold some promise. Just think when all the dinosaurs we know and love stop building, ( you know who you are) well have some talent to fill their shoes.