Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sup dudes!

Vilex

Found this forum while getting interested in lasers. Not much about me, i'm 21, work my ass off, typical person. My hobbies and interests are computer, technology, and I love to mod cars. I have a '91 Honda Civic as a daily driver, and my weekend car is a 2001 Honda Civic that I turbo'd. Just a little hobby that brings me joy and takes alot of my money! Since winter is rollin around the corner, the turbo'd civic will be going into the garage for the winter, so i'll be needing to get into some other hobbies in the meantime, and gadgets have always been a thing for me.

I recently found a video that I wanted to build my first laser off of from this video(Green 200 mw bruning laser diy) and ordered the two parts I needed as well, DealExtreme: $10.90 C6 DIY Cree LED Flashlight Full Casing/Shell with Driver Pill (2*CR123A/1*18650) and DealExtreme: $46.81 200mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm) I figured this would be a nice little starting laser for myself. Now could someone explain what nm and mW are? I know one probably has to do with the lasers strength.

Also, I was wondering how exactly do I piece this together? I've watched the video over and over and it seems pretty simplistic, but doesn't give much info on how to put it together though. I do notice that the + wire goes up into the top of the module somewhere, and I can see he grounded it on the thing itself, i'm also wondering how he eliminated the use of the little red push button, so he's able to use the bottom of the flash light so its more of a 'flashlight' laser, instead of a pointer style laser. I'm sure it'll make more sense when I get my stuff and check it out, but I figured i'd ask and find out rather than screwing up and learning the hard way!

Well, I look forward to being apart of the community and learning a new hobby and educating myself with this forum. :D

Last edited:

First things first welcome to LPF.

Watched the vid you linked, No info on making the laser, How much do you know about building lasers?

Vilex

I know about electronics a bit. I've soldered a few things, done little stuff, so I have a basic knowledge of understanding. So would this be pretty simple? Or would you recommend using other parts? I just want for now a green 250mW laser for some basic stuff and to get started with for a decent price, I don't mind making my own, but I don't wanna spend a lot of money like places want for pre-made lasers!

Toke

Welcome to the forum. :)

I have some bad news for you.
The flashlight host you have bought is for a DIY flashlight, it you want to use it for a laser it needs a heatsink. That is a metal cylinder/pipe with an external diameter that will fit inside the host, and an internal diameter that will take your laser module (12mm).

DX and other chinese internet shops are (in)famous for delivering lasers that are below specifications, this module states 250mA and 200mW. That is not possible.

Well, you are at the right place to learn, just read the assorted links and help treads here. (The one in my sig is just one of them)

Is your project going to be easy, Probably not due to the fact that your understanding of the inner workings of lasers is minimal. The outcome though is predictable, You'll end up frying your $46 module or atleast the Diode.

If you want some advise, Crawl before you start to run, Building lasers is not for the faint hearted, using money like fire wood is a big possibility when building your first laser. Get the ground work done first (research, there is everything you need to know within this forum, use the search feature), that's how I started.

You don't need to buy a laser, all the parts/components can be purchased off e b a y, do your research, if you get stuck with a particular step search the forum for an answer, then if you don't find it ask us.

Start by building your own laser to get an understanding of how a driver works, you are into computers aswell so you know how the computer works through stripping and re-assembling the component parts. Lasers are no different. Start with the safety aspect first, then build your own DDL(LM317T) Driver.

To answer your Q in post 1,

532nm This is the wavelength ie color of the outputed laser energy.
250mw Potential intensity of laser energy emmitted.

carl

WELCOME TO L.P.F.!!!! slow down a bit take in the knowledge from all the threads and then go from there before buying...goodluck my friend..

MojoLA

Wow you want to build a high power laser but don't even know what mw and nm stand for? That indicates you really haven't educated yourself regarding lasers AT ALL.

Read up a bit before you jump in and fry your eyeballs out. And maybe I'm being too nit picky, but when you introduce yourself with "sup dudes" right off the bat you sound like a kid who shouldn't be taken seriously.

By the way, what's a "bruning" laser? Not familiar with that type...

Welcome.
Reading is fundamental here or anywhere if you want to build your own laser.
Impossible, no.........you have some skills like soldering that will help.
I promise you one thing , the more you read the more you'll find you don't know.
It's a fun hobby. Maybe a couple cheap pointers from ebay to work with as you go.
Oddly you can get more than you pay for there on some.

Vilex

Welcome.
Reading is fundamental here or anywhere if you want to build your own laser.
Impossible, no.........you have some skills like soldering that will help.
I promise you one thing , the more you read the more you'll find you don't know.
It's a fun hobby. Maybe a couple cheap pointers from ebay to work with as you go.
Oddly you can get more than you pay for there on some.

I've been reading the stickies little by little and learning stuff as I go. I feel as I can handle it a bit and i'm excited for the challenge and creativity of building something. I've built computers and have a understanding of their innards, and like I said i've done soldering plenty of times on my car, and little projects. But thanks for the heads up!

Wow you want to build a high power laser but don't even know what mw and nm stand for? That indicates you really haven't educated yourself regarding lasers AT ALL.

Read up a bit before you jump in and fry your eyeballs out. And maybe I'm being too nit picky, but when you introduce yourself with "sup dudes" right off the bat you sound like a kid who shouldn't be taken seriously.

By the way, what's a "bruning" laser? Not familiar with that type...
I'm learning. Never said I was just gonna jump into it without reaidng up first. I'm 21, i'm still considered a 'young adult', I may not be as old as some of the members here, but to probably some of you, i'm still considered a kid.

And it was a typo..

WELCOME TO L.P.F.!!!! slow down a bit take in the knowledge from all the threads and then go from there before buying...goodluck my friend..
Thanks!
Jayrob recieved a 200mW DX module, tested and it was 103 mW so it should be ok. Try ordering the DIY green kit from him. just search. The thread says how to bypass the switch. It should also include a breif tutorial. If you dont want green a PHR is a great start.
Ah alright i'll look around and see what he has to offer, I canceled my kit I ordered just cause i'd figure i'd take advice from you guys.

Is your project going to be easy, Probably not due to the fact that your understanding of the inner workings of lasers is minimal. The outcome though is predictable, You'll end up frying your $46 module or atleast the Diode.

If you want some advise, Crawl before you start to run, Building lasers is not for the faint hearted, using money like fire wood is a big possibility when building your first laser. Get the ground work done first (research, there is everything you need to know within this forum, use the search feature), that's how I started.

You don't need to buy a laser, all the parts/components can be purchased off e b a y, do your research, if you get stuck with a particular step search the forum for an answer, then if you don't find it ask us.

Start by building your own laser to get an understanding of how a driver works, you are into computers aswell so you know how the computer works through stripping and re-assembling the component parts. Lasers are no different. Start with the safety aspect first, then build your own DDL(LM317T) Driver.

To answer your Q in post 1,

532nm This is the wavelength ie color of the outputed laser energy.
250mw Potential intensity of laser energy emmitted.

carl
Alright, thank you!
Welcome to the forum. :)

I have some bad news for you.
The flashlight host you have bought is for a DIY flashlight, it you want to use it for a laser it needs a heatsink. That is a metal cylinder/pipe with an external diameter that will fit inside the host, and an internal diameter that will take your laser module (12mm).

DX and other chinese internet shops are (in)famous for delivering lasers that are below specifications, this module states 250mA and 200mW. That is not possible.

Well, you are at the right place to learn, just read the assorted links and help treads here. (The one in my sig is just one of them)
I should of figured. It takes awhile for them to ship stuff out too. I've delt with them before when I purchased an R4 for my old NDS. But thanks for the tips.

Hate to be the one to bring this up but....Goggles? 250mW is not considered a beginner power, try a PHR (~100mW blu ray) or something similar if you want to DIY. If you really want green, try mabye 50mW. With green DIY, all you really need to do is bypass the switch and fit the module into the host.

Goggles will be purchased once I get a build going or something in the works. Thanks for the info!

MojoLA

I know it was a typo, i was just being silly. Still, maybe while there is no "bruning" laser, there is a "pruning" laser for gardening!

Morgan

Take a look at the guides in my sig. They shoud give you plenty to read and plenty of hints to go off and search for too. The top one is not meant to give you a step-by-step hand holding session to a complete laser but more a learning exercise on how to find the info you need. I hope it helps you out and you can always drop us a line if you get stuck.

For a good starter kit I can recommend these -

Laser Hosts and Laser Kits - Items - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

Most of the kits here come complete with full instructions and all you need to build a working laser. I would say go for the 300mW kit but leave the supplied driver as it comes, (preset to 200mA), as this gives a good output for your first laser of circa 100mW but also will allow you to turn it up later when you know a little more, (and have those goggles!). These are probably the cheapest, one-stop buy you can make for an introduction, homebuilt laser. There are a few reviews in the, "Reviews", section too.

Good luck and welcome to LPF! :wave:

M
:)

Vilex

Just so you know, there is a wait for those kits. If you can wait, they are some of the best, but it was 2-3 weeks last I checked.
Ah, good to know.
I know it was a typo, i was just being silly. Still, maybe while there is no "bruning" laser, there is a "pruning" laser for gardening!
Damn, I was hoping for a bruning laser :(.
Take a look at the guides in my sig. They shoud give you plenty to read and plenty of hints to go off and search for too. The top one is not meant to give you a step-by-step hand holding session to a complete laser but more a learning exercise on how to find the info you need. I hope it helps you out and you can always drop us a line if you get stuck.

For a good starter kit I can recommend these -

Laser Hosts and Laser Kits - Items - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

Most of the kits here come complete with full instructions and all you need to build a working laser. I would say go for the 300mW kit but leave the supplied driver as it comes, (preset to 200mA), as this gives a good output for your first laser of circa 100mW but also will allow you to turn it up later when you know a little more, (and have those goggles!). These are probably the cheapest, one-stop buy you can make for an introduction, homebuilt laser. There are a few reviews in the, "Reviews", section too.

Good luck and welcome to LPF! :wave:

M
:)
Cool thanks for the info! Building a full on laser is a bit intimidating, I must say, but if i'm given full on instructions it doesn't seem too bad. I'll have to check out that link and browse around some more and see what I can find! :yh:

Vilex

Alright. I purchased this: UltraFire 500mW 532nm Back-Open Handheld Green Laser Pointer WF-502C(1*18650 Included) $45.14 Free Shipping

Just as a starting laser. I do realize that mW is probably REALLY underated, and thats fine since it's my first laser. I really just wanna get one, see how they work, maybe tear them apart, etc. I'm more of a visual learner than anything. I'm just trying to take it slow and not rush things.

Hell, maybe if I can, I can turn up the mW somehow on the one I purchased, i've read somewhere on that site with some lasers it's possible, but who knows. Like that it's set at say 46mW, but it can handle up to 200mW or so.

But we'll see. Kinda excited to get my first laser and just see how they are and de-virginize my experience with a new interest!

Toke

$45 would be kind of OK for a 50mW of good quality, so you have likely made a good deal with this not-500mW laser.

You could also have waited a few days as the site have just a LPM and is in the middle of testing their lasers. I would expect this one to come out as 100-200mW.

Vilex

$45 would be kind of OK for a 50mW of good quality, so you have likely made a good deal with this not-500mW laser.

You could also have waited a few days as the site have just a LPM and is in the middle of testing their lasers. I would expect this one to come out as 100-200mW.

LPM? Fill me in, please? :whistle:

John7788 is working hard to measure lasers they sell since the manufacturers over state their output. PriceAngels has acquired an LPM to begin posting more accurate readings.
532nm can also put out a lot of IR as it is using a high power IR diode as the source. It is aimed through crystals resulting in the green 532nm light you see. You won't have a blink response to this "invisible light" and should ensure your safety goggles protect against IR also.
Turning them up is known as "pot modding", or turning up the potentiometer. This normally results in a high rate, 95% or better, of killing the laser.
Get some good safety glasses or goggles and enjoy your laser.

Edit: LPM = Laser Power Meter

Last edited: