Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sunon 20mm 5V fans, small heatsinks and 7mm peltiers

boscoj

ahh . . . you were the one that said >"Stirling"<

brilliant ! except it's not a motor . . . it's an engine . . . ;)

and the fan motor will not start on a 7v shared circuit with the tem.

I knew I liked Toke . . .

I will be fun to see how much power I can get out of them.

How about an aluminium plate on one side, large enough to cover a coffee mug. On the other side 3 heatsinks and a fan.
With a little luck it will be able to power both the fan and an additional small LED.
It would look pretty cute next to a mug with a Stirling motor atop of it.

Last edited:

I'm a bit confused cause I didn't really see it anywhere but are the TECs $4 a piece? And how much for shipping? I may be interested in a bit. Additionally, I'd be interested in those tritium vials if you find a supplier :) I'm sure you'd get a BIG GB going on CPF if you wanted and showed your stuff here as assurance of rep.

boscoj

yeah, same as the fans, $3.95 and a flat $3 shipping

I'm a bit confused cause I didn't really see it anywhere but are the TECs $4 a piece? And how much for shipping? I may be interested in a bit. Additionally, I'd be interested in those tritium vials if you find a supplier :) I'm sure you'd get a BIG GB going on CPF if you wanted and showed your stuff here as assurance of rep.

Toke

Were my post unclear?

I have a Stirling motor/engine:na: from Deuche Museum in Münich that I have never gotten around to assemple. It is supposed to fit on top of a coffee cup.

I have no idea how much energy these Peltier elements will create from a temperature difference. But want to experiment with it, and a coffee cup. :D

boscoj

No I think it's a great idea, I've had several over the years including the coffee cup ones.

You could possibly modify the flywheel to make it a fan and pull heat away from one peltier on top and maybe another on the bottom . . . or two on top . . .

I doubt they will produce any energy from a cup of coffee . . .

Were my post unclear?

I have a Stirling motor/engine:na: from Deuche Museum in Münich that I have never gotten around to assemple. It is supposed to fit on top of a coffee cup.

I have no idea how much energy these Peltier elements will create from a temperature difference. But want to experiment with it, and a coffee cup. :D

Last edited:

Toke

I was thinking of two separate coffee cups, but combining them sounds interesting, I have some pretty big mugs. :)

I received my peltiers today. Fast delivery and exactly as described! These appear to be nice little TECs. Not sure why the solder coating. Pre-tinned? Guessing it was intended to be the heat sink side.
Time to get the meter out! I'll be sure to report any findings that may be of use.

Thanks boscoj!

A little reading provides a lot of info! Generating electricity with a TEC is the "Seebeck Effect". A good description is here also read "Charge-carrier diffusion".
Thermoelectric effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also there is a correct side to use. The larger side, in this unit, 6mm x 7mm should be the heat sinked side. This confirms the solder on the larger face. So, if it is to be mounted to aluminum, the rounded soldered side won't be the best. Ah....remove it. Now you can see the TEC surface is actually copper plated. Many high end TEC's are gold plated for flux less mounting. Working carefully with a jewelers file you can remove it. The TEC is actually .105 (2.667mm) thick with .018(.457mm) of solder on it. More later as I find it.

Attachments

• TEC1.jpg
    TEC1.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 248
  • TEC3.jpg
    TEC3.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 368
  • TEC5.jpg
    TEC5.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 160
Got my fans today and I wanted to see if these fans were reversible. Reverse current kills em. Oh well, thanks anyways :). Still have one left atleast.

How many volts were you using when it died?
I tested at 3.6v & it survived reverse polarity ok.

Last edited:

boscoj

alot, maybe 80 sinks and 60 fans, 40 peltiers . . . and 10 diodes etc . . .

P1000454.JPG

How many fans & heat sinks do you have left?

Last edited:
Got my fans today and I wanted to see if these fans were reversible. Reverse current kills em. Oh well, thanks anyways :). Still have one left atleast.
Run them in series with the driver. Most hav the reverse protection.

How many volts were you using when it died?
I tested at 3.6v & it survived reverse polarity ok.
I had one die
at a 6 volt reversal... running one at 12V for a while now:)

alot, maybe 80 sinks and 60 fans, 40 peltiers . . . and 10 diodes etc . . .

P1000454.JPG
Check your PMs. I need some stock;0

HIMNL9

You need to make an input stage for that peltier cell, for use it as LPM ..... a 36 junctions peltier cell does not have enough output alone, for hook it on a DMM and made a LPM ..... you need at least a 15 to 20 times amplification (for an easy use, a single op-amp circuit is enough ..... and using a double op-amp you can use the second one as output buffer / zeroing circuit)

Also, the SLIP Plate paint you used is not the better thing, you need to cover the "reading" face with a paint that have the maximum possible adsorbing index for light ..... like some matte paint for high temperatures, or a very thin piece of matte black anodized aluminium, thermally glued on the face ..... and also , need to couple the opposite face to a big mass heatsink (and this may mean scraping away all the solder from the back face, for make it the more flat possible)

I got some decent results with some 10x10mm 60-junctions plates, and also better with an 8x8mm 62-junctions one (but this last one was found for pure luck, and i'm unable to find any others similar ..... maybe was a custom model, don't know), followed from an op-amp input stage ..... not a professional instrument like a thermopile, but decent enough as DIY units :p ..... LESS good results with 20x20 ones .....

BTW, the shop where you buy them, does have any 10x10mm TECs with 60 or more junctions, for any luck ?

boscoj

I just ran one fan overnight, 12 hours on 13.9 v, actually accidentally had the alligator clip contacting the fan blade for about 4 minutes, thought it was dying before I figured it out. Still works.

@ bosco how about checkin your PMs for me... I'm looking for some more of these. Thank you in advanced