Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Successful DIY CO2 laser, made from scratch!

Jarrod ---
You are interesting to read -- from the ground up science !!!!!
I used an empty, vacuumed out, freon tank. I made my mix by pressure increments with each gas.
The breath trick adds some H2O into the mix which sometimes increases power but might damage optics.

Carry on and keep posting. BE SAFE with this .

HMike

BTW awesome work man. :worthy:[/QUOTE]

None of us are.

I thank my Lord and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, that I have the time to do this. Only He is worthy of anything!

I always wanted to be a physicist. It wasn't God's will for my life when I was young. But I am very thankful to Him for letting me enjoy this.

One thing I have learned through it all: sometimes it's better to have something you really like for a hobby, and something you can tolerate for a job. Someone told me that Einstein once suggested to some students that they pursue a career as a plumber, if in fact they were truly interested in Physics; that way they would have all the time that they needed for physics, while still being able to make a living. That's pretty much my situation. I'm not really good enough in the math department to be a physicist (or an engineer). I'm not saying I will never pursue my interests professionally (or that I don't wish I could have). I'm simply recognizing and acknowledging God's blessing in either situation.

Jarrod ---
You are interesting to read -- from the ground up science !!!!!
I used an empty, vacuumed out, freon tank. I made my mix by pressure increments with each gas.
The breath trick adds some H2O into the mix which sometimes increases power but might damage optics.

Carry on and keep posting. BE SAFE with this .

HMike

Thank you!

My next laser will likely be a shorter tube, with a much wider diameter bore. It will use experimental metal mirrors, with a salt window for the output.

Eventually I would like to experiment with some TEA CO2 builds. Then perhaps I will attempt some visible-light gas lasers. Pulsed argon should be doable.

Jarrod

I have to say I'm still more than a little impressed by this. So much so I've spent a bit of time reading through the entire solid state laser section of the FAQ.

I have to say I'm still more than a little impressed by this. So much so I've spent a bit of time reading through the entire solid state laser section of the FAQ.

Yes indeed. Sam's Laser Faq is an excellent (in my opinion, the very best) resource. Many thanks to Sam Goldwasser for his effort in providing it. For anyone who is not already aware of this:

Sam's Laser FAQ: Welcome Page

At the link above, you will find the coprehensive table of contents: the like I most often use:

Sam's Laser FAQ Comprehensive Table of Contents

LSRFAQ

The Hochuli catalyst is usually a tube or wire or mesh screen of nickel or gold, or both, placed every few CM down the tube. If you keep it small, lengthwise, it does not interfere with the discharge, but a few pieces of catalyst boosts the power like mad on the flowing medical units I've serviced or scrapped.
The catalyst recombines CO and a oxygen ion into Co2.

Kudos on building a CO2 from scratch.

Steve

drlava

Love your work, still enjoying that Wimshurst machine quite a lot! Kudos.

Just to let everyone know: I finally started my own website for this laser. It is under heavy construction at the moment, and is therefore far from complete. So if you look at it, be sure and check back from time to time until it is finally complete.

http://jarrodkinsey.org

Jarrod

Last edited: