Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Success: My first "real" laser repair!

I'd been having problems with my Lazer LZCS 638nm single-mode. This was a custom unit in that it isn't listed on the Lazerer website. There is a multimode 638nm LZCS but not a single-mode. But, if you want him to, Max will build you a custom unit.

Turns out the diode leads were coming loose from the driver board. Eventually the connection broke entirely and the laser was apparently dead. I re-soldered the connection so that it's stronger than it was before. Put the laser back together, loaded in a battery, and pressed the button.

It worked! No more flickering laser or finicky switch action. The laser works great now!

Thank you, LPF. I've been reading a lot here. Without this forum, its members, and the wealth of information here, I would never have been able to repair this unit. It would simply have been "broken" but because of you, LPF, it's a working laser.

Thank you all so much!

ETA: It looks like Lazerer units can be pot-modded - properly and truly pot-modded, mind you. There is definitely a potentiometer on the 638nm's driver board. I didn't turn it, because I don't want to blow my unit up, but for the enterprising among us, it might be something to look into.

Last edited:

Had your ever built any laser befor??? If not, good job man. If yes, do you want a cookie.... Jk lol.

Now it's time to build yourself a monster!

Michael

I've never built my own laser. I guess that's the next step, isn't it? Empty LZCS/Laser 301 hosts are available online, I wonder how hard it would be to do a 520nm build. One of the harder parts, I think, would be lining up the power switch with the host's button.

I fully expected this repair attempt to fail. The diode's positive and case pins are connected, and these are both soldered to the L+ terminal on the driver. They broke off somehow and just needed to be re-attached. I'm thrilled that it worked. I really like 638nm too, it's much brighter, mW for mW, than 650nm.

Nice job on the repair I saw your other post and it sounded like a real pain in the _ _ _ and Good luck on your build if you do one! :beer:

Congratulations on your repair! Don't be scared of a diode build. The PL520 is no more difficult than any other diode...just more expensive.

Congratulations on your repair! Don't be scared of a diode build. The PL520 is no more difficult than any other diode...just more expensive.
its just $120 to waste if you mess up... No Pressure:D

Just kidding! you'll do fine. Just read up on the forums and make sure you're all prepared and you'll do fine:beer:

Laik

Nice job on your repair man! I think the pl520's are annoying because they are so small. If they're already pressed they are no different to regular 5.6mm diodes :D

Nice job on your repair man! I think the pl520's are annoying because they are so small. If they're already pressed they are no different to regular 5.6mm diodes :D

I think the PL520's are 3.8mm? I seem to remember reading that they're the smaller 3.8mm size. If that's so, then they might well fit into the LZCS host's module. I broke open my 638nm to fix it, the 638nm diode is quite small, tiny even. I can only imagine it's a 3.8mm.

Edit: Also added to original post, it looks like Lazerer units can be pot-modded. There is definitely a potentiometer on the 638nm's driver board. I didn't turn it, because I don't want to blow my unit up, but for the enterprising among us, it might be something worth trying.

Last edited: