Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

styropyro in popular science

I appreciate the comments everybody! It is pretty awesome to be in a magazine like this. I was interviewed back in June...in the middle of probably the most hectic time of my life. I started a research internship the day that video went viral. Talk about sleep deprivation!! D:

In the second sentence of article it says "it isn't illegal, just challenging". I was very firm on making sure that sentence was there. :D

You know, silly things like this is what led me to getting my current research position. One of my professors was a fan of my vids, but didn't realize that I was his student. I eventually got hooked up with him due to his heavy use of lasers and my experience with diode lasers, and I've been working under him since. We do some cool stuff in there, weird NMR experiments and "Spin-Exchange Optical Pumping". I'm considering doing my masters in Physics under him...especially if he lets me do a project on diode pumped alkali metal vapor lasers. :evil:

Honestly, I identify with him, particularly the carefree, wacky manner of his video. In the 90s I had a friend, later business partner who was a bored millionaire with an immeasurable IQ. He not only had a huge Class 3 business and personal collection, but received training in explosives and had a blasters license and business. I have the uncanny ability to make a perfect imitation of Bullwinkle's voice. We made a video which I narrated in Bullwinkle's voice placing a number of old dynamite charges in holes in the ice of his large pond on 90 acres of property. We set it off. In the same video Bullwinkle narrated how to properly attach a suppressor to an MP 5. He says, "this is useful when you need to kill quietly." I am trying to get across an inane, wacky, playful video I did....when I was in my 40s!
I would pay to see that. :D For the record...I have many wacky and crazy videos that I have made that I've had no intention of posting to YouTube. Most of those vids are chemistry related, and go back to when I was 13. They are good for a good laugh from my friends, but unfortunately I cannot post them. :D

Re posting ideas...I do know not to post anything "proprietary". The laser shotgun is useless...freaking awesome, but useless. My crazy ideas that may actually have value in the scientific world don't get posted as YouTube vids. :)

Way to go Styro!!!! That's awesome. You're going to be needing an entourage soon. I'm available. Lol

Last edited:
@ Andrew
Yes I watch the gadgets guy, his rapidly diverging visible project videos are nothing worrisome.

This guy might go too far though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqWvgi3IKE
But at least he's using 10400 and not any near ir
Really people who make their own at least know what their dealing with, but if he sells these turn key ready to anyone who clicks buy now and lives in an urban dwelling...geez, get ready to call the fire dept.
We should all message the guy and warn him of the liability he will encounter.

Last edited:

Pman

I'm a bit confused. Can you guys not read the article as posted here for some reason? Is it longer than what is in the pic? I can read the whole thing easily even on my phone.

I will admit to having mixed feelings about some things but will also admit that sometimes it's more of an "I don't want you to build something like this but it's OK for me too" as I trust myself but worry about the "other" guy. Maybe that isn't fair but you never know who's a nut-job. Just being completely honest.
Also as some have mentioned there are just an unreal number of ways someone who wants to cause damage can and a lot easier than this way and I would agree with that. Unfortunately these days it only takes one instance of foolishness to affect everyone.
I've also stated that I completely believe drones are FAR more likely to cause an incident than anything here.

I'm a bit confused. Can you guys not read the article as posted here for some reason? Is it longer than what is in the pic? I can read the whole thing easily even on my phone.

As posted where? I searched the Popular Science site and it isn't online yet, if it is please link to it.

Alan

Redcowboy,

I don't think you understand. I am with you on all of this. Hey, as far as I am concerned, I would like to be able to use a skywriter to disseminate information about the things we are discussing. I support free speech. However, does the government play by the same rules you and I do? In times of war, is it not necessary to keep information from the enemy? Would you call the government our friend or our enemy? A Maryland dairy farmer gets indicted because his banker tells him that he is bringing in too much cash and it causes too much paperwork so he follows his bankers advice, opens up accounts at other banks, and makes deposits just under the trigger limit. Abracadabra! He is now in the sites of US prosecutors who by the way have a 90% conviction rate. http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/16/government-seizure-of-dairysacash-draws-wide-attention/ How about Aaron Swartz, hero of the Internet who for all intents and purposes was murdered by an overzealous inappropriate prosecution by the US government?

My point, I am sad to say the war has already begun and therefore the old adage, "loose lips sink ships" prevails.

Again, we are both in agreement here. It is just that I think we are long past the tipping point you speak of. Now, the information we need to restore our ability to be free needs to be spread by word of mouth to those who need to know.

Are you aware of the codex alimentarius? In brief, this is a Big Pharma based attempt to limit the world's use of natural remedies...to wit, vitamins and supplements. Attempts to shove this down American's throats have been going on for years. As part of holistic and anti-aging medicine of course I have been against this. The same is true for attempts to prevent DSHEA from passing, that is fighting for your right to put what you want in your mouth. Along with other holistic practitioners such as Julian Whitaker, MD I went to the FDA and gave them a mouth full at a public hearing in DC. (I won't post my entire rant but you will get the idea. Shyness is not one of my attributes. After the passage of DSHEA, and even after the courts found inf favor of Pearson & Shaw the FDA wanted to prevent physicians from recommending vitamins and supplements to patients):

"What are the real core issues here? They are the safety and efficacy of dietary supplements. However, the will of congress promulgated in DSHEA was that dietary supplements do not fall into the same category as drugs and therefore are not subject to the same approval process of safety and efficacy. Pearson v Shalala opens up this Pandora’s box yet again as a first amendment issue.

Despite the fact that the judiciary ruled in favor of Pearson in January 1999, the FDA has the audacity to seek public recommendations regarding the very issue the courts have already decided. Even though the debate here is therefore moot on the basis of the first amendment court findings, let us look at the issues from another perspective...."

If the FDA continues to prohibit physicians from making dietary supplements recommendations it puts physicians at risk for litigation from patients deprived of this information. Since the FDA in this instance is responsible for prohibiting physicians from disseminating dietary supplement information, it might be subject to litigation as well.

I realize that in asking the FDA to obey the law and respond to the court’s findings in Pearson I am essentially asking it to voluntarily abdicate its perceived authority over dietary supplements. Furthermore, I know this is like asking a lion to stop eating meat. However, it only need be said that, “the times they must be a changin,” because I think the FDA staff is starting to eat vegetables."

Sure, putting the disclaimer "for informational purposes only" flies in the face of a free society. However, we are no longer free and have not been for a long time. So, all I am saying is that we now have to be more circumspect in what we say and who we say it to. As a student of intelligence (espionage) and of course Mission Impossible, this message will self destruct after you read it.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Pman

Isn't the article the pic in the first post? It says October 2015 right on the pic.

Last edited:
I was not concerned about that video being problematic...I simply PMed Styro about it because I thought he would find it interesting if he had not seen it.

As for the CO2 rifle...I don't think he designed what he said he did. For one thing, if he did, he would have one heck of a battery design. I am not an expert so what do you think?

I know we have let way to much go way to far, I could start preaching and citing examples but it's near useless.
Even I get sick watching our collapse on the news until I have to just turn it off and that's bad.
I'm mad as hell and ready to fight, but so many people will not get off their asses until the boots are literally on their necks.
I think that's why so many people like Trump, we are sick of lies and talk while we continue to get screwed by our servant masters who are immune to the laws they pass for us.
We desperately want someone new to get in there and kick some ass, hopefully someone who can't be bought.
It may well already be too late, but I refuse to live in the shadows, because we will not really be hidden, we just won't be on the top of the list.
Everything we buy, or say online is recorded and everyone has a file in silicon at the Utah data center, even this conversation will be there.
To think any of us can hide anything while on the grid is a joke, the Orwellian nightmare is ready to unfold, but it will be implemented slowly.
The left lane of my interstate had a HOV only lane, now it's a pay to use lane...for the road I already paid for.
Sorry I'm not going to start with examples, I could go for hours.
Suffice to say we are not the once free nation our grandfathers knew, but we want to feel like we are, we want to get lost in the moment and the truth is the more people interested in this hobby, with skin in the game, the bigger target it may make, but also the more collective voice we will have.
So much of it is out of our personal control but if we stand together when the time comes we can keep some freedom. United we have the power.
This is why we can not ever lose our freedom of speech or we will be powerless.
So in a way attention is bad, but in a way it is good.
So yes, lets all do our part and not bring any bad attention.
But that does not mean we should be afraid to live and enjoy responsibly.

Ok about the guy with the C02 rifle, the problem is that he wants to sell them ready to go to anybody.
It wont be as powerful as he was saying but if it puts even 60 invisible watts of a basically round beam through his 10 expander then novice buyers will be setting their neighbors roofs on fire.
I only hope it's too expensive for most people who lack basic common sense to buy, but if they really had the common sense and understanding then they would just build their own.
Chinese tubes are pretty cheap but it will still likely cost too much for the average novice and being invisible it won't have the full fun factor.
That's the real worry with our mass produces repurposed projector lights, the cost is low yet the potential for short range damage is high.

Last edited:
I know we have let way to much go way to far, I could start preaching and citing examples but it's near useless.
Even I get sick watching our collapse on the news until I have to just turn it off and that's bad.
I'm mad as hell and ready to fight, but so many people will not get off their asses until the boots are literally on their necks.
I think that's why so many people like Trump, we are sick of lies and talk while we continue to get screwed by our servant masters who are immune to the laws they pass for us.
We desperately want someone new to get in there and kick some ass, hopefully someone who can't be bought.
It may well already be too late, but I refuse to live in the shadows, because we will not really be hidden, we just won't be on the top of the list.
Everything we buy, or say online is recorded and everyone has a file in silicon at the Utah data center, even this conversation will be there.
To think any of us can hide anything while on the grid is a joke, the Orwellian nightmare is ready to unfold, but it will be implemented slowly.
The left lane of my interstate had a HOV only lane, now it's a pay to use lane...for the road I already paid for.
Sorry I'm not going to start with examples, I could go for hours.
Suffice to say we are not the once free nation our grandfathers knew, but we want to feel like we are, we want to get lost in the moment and the truth is the more people interested in this hobby, with skin in the game, the bigger target it may make, but also the more collective voice we will have.
So much of it is out of our personal control but if we stand together when the time comes we can keep some freedom. United we have the power.
This is why we can not ever lose our freedom of speech or we will be powerless.
So in a way attention is bad, but in a way it is good.
So yes, lets all do our part and not bring any bad attention.
But that does not we should be afraid to live and enjoy responsibly.

Ok about the guy with the C02 rifle, the problem is that he wants to sell them ready to go to anybody.
It wont be as powerful as he was saying but if it puts even 60 invisible watts of a basically round beam through his 10 expander then novice buyers will be setting their neighbors roofs on fire.
I only hope it's too expensive for most people who lack basic common sense to buy, but if they really had the common sense and understanding then they would just build their own.
Chinese tubes are pretty cheap but it will still likely cost too much for the average novice and being invisible it won't have the full fun factor.
That's the real worry with out mass produces repurposed projector lights, the cost is low yet the potential for short range damage is high.

I am sure you know the deal about putting a frog and slowly bringing it to a boil, Hegelian dialectic, shock doctrine, general dumbing down of Americans, etc., etc. Things have become so PC that if you make a comment about certain ***ual proclivities, you would be arrested for discrimination. I will bet that you are not aware that about a year ago the percentage of women in the workforce is now over 50%...that is correct more than 50%. However, don't start discussing women's lib and where it has taken us...that is not PC.

What is amusing is that women are not even complaining about Trump because the conservative ones don't care as long as Trump does something. Men work. Women take care of the house. End of story lol Men do not even realize that women have taken their jobs. I am not suggesting that some are not good at what they do....some are....but that does not mean they should be doing those things.

Anyway, I may start my Putin/Medvedev Lavrov for State in 2016...not that they can actually run, but that is we would be much better off with real Statesman than the idiot politicians we have. Putin has really done a tremendous job with Russia. Lavrov is really smart and much better at foreign affairs than anyone I can think of alive in the US today. At the least...maybe such a site might shake things up:wave:

As for that rifle...sure, selling one ready made would be a problem...if he really created what he claims to have created.

Isn't the article the pic in the first post? It says October 2015 right on the pic.

I see what you meant now, I didn't even realize I could read the whole article right from the photo, I was looking for it online at Popular Science.

Alan

Pman

^I don't think you were the only one;) I was beginning to think somehow I was seeing the pic and everyone else couldn't for some bizarre reason.