Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Studies about animals react on lasers

I wonder if a 500mw green would stop a Grizzlybarrr from charging and eating you, any one want to try this out and get back to me :crackup:

Dieselmarine's 12x stopped a guy with a baseball bat-I imagine something like that would work on a bear. Also, isn't eye tissue fluorescent at high frequencies like that? That could be very disorienting.

DJNY

For everyone who hasn´t the chance to get a cat (or a laser) I added a second cat-reaction-vid. First one shows the cat (Regina) and a 200mW dilda, the second one the cat vs a 5mW ebay br.
Thanks for watching :thanks:

My dog (great dane) will sniff the beam of any of my higher power lasers but does not show any more interest in them than that. Occasionally, she will bite at it.
Most of the time she doesn't even seem to notice it.

I have no cats, but my friend's cat was very afraid of any green laser. I never tried with other colors. His dog reacts the same as mine to any color laser (pit/boxer mix or something).

I'll have to try with my girlfriend's dog (dachshund).

I can confirm that birds try to avoid my green laser and will dive and dip trying to dodge the beam in mid-air.

My other friend's dogs, however go crazy with red and green lasers (boxers).

Many years ago I had a rottweiler that would chase anything from flashlight beams to 5mW red lasers (I don't think other color lasers were available in pointers back the, or they were very rare).

I have lured fish with a 100mW green. I actually had an idea once to use the fishing line as a fiber optic cable, and shine a green laser through it for glowing bait, which would surely attract more attention than a grasshopper or worm.

But lasers make everything cooler! :tinfoil:

or hotter :eg::eg:

4079-1.jpg

There are some elk in my yard-they notice 200mW of 650 but don't really care (they just look up) and they ignore 532. I don't have a violet visible in this bright of light.

Both my dog and my neighbour's dogs are hardly interested in the dot of my 50mW green, which isn't much fun. They don't seem too interested in 405nm either.

I think the reaction depends as much on the type of animal (and its age) as to the color and power of the laser dot. I have 5 cats, 4 indoor and a semi-feral outdoor cat (long story on that one, basically a female cat that had kittens under my tool shed and I adopted 2 of her litter, gave the other two away, and had her spayed but she's too wild to bring indoors so she lives under the shed) and two dogs + a tank full of dermestid beetles (they aren't pets but work to clean meat off of skulls and bones - do a web search on "dermestid beetle taxidermy" and you can read all about them).

The one dog (an Anatolian Shepherd, who reacts to very little stimulus to begin with) just ignores any color of laser for the most part, my other dog (a Lab/Great dane mix) was scared silly the first time I shined a 100mw laser up on the roof one night, but now he pays my lasers pretty much no attention.

All but one of my indoor cats go nuts over the 405 (supposedly both cat and dog vision is shifted/centered more towards the blue-violet end of the spectrum rather than green as it is with us so that makes sense that lots of cats go nuts for 405 and aren't crazy about reds), like the greens and will play with reds. The one cat that doesn't is going on 13 years old, so he sees the beam and dot, but he's just an old kitty who'd rather spend his time sleeping and eating.

My beetles HATE 405nm light, even a de-focused beam (I don't want to burn my tiny workers to a crisp), but then again they hate bright light of any kind so that's not surprising.

As for wild animals, I shined a 100mw greenie near the feet of a squirrel once and it didn't react, so perhaps green isn't a highly visible color to rodents. I shined a red at a rabbit and it moved away, didn't try any other colors - I was just glad I ran it out of my yard so it would leave my flowers alone. Crows will take off at the sight of a greenie or 405 dot, but supposedly birds have better color vision (see more colors) than we do, including UV, so you could probably scare off any bird with any color of laser.

DJNY

I asked Regina which lasercolor (g/r/br) she likes the most

Attachments

• tell us....MOV
    13.4 MB · Views: 219
I know that lasers in general cause the following things to occur with homosapien type animals.

general fascination, excitement, relationship issues, plummeting bank balances, strong urges to interact with other homosapiens who have also been exposed to laser light, general fiddling and experimentation and strong feelings of frustration when the laser light is taken away.

Rafa

the seagulls in santa barbara tried to eat any colors of lasers we tried. But hell, they ate anything. They were becoming so much of a nuisance at my old school, swooping down and eating your food the moment your hands were away and making a huge mess everywhere, that we tried everything to get rid of them. Laser pointers (red and green), those red flags, spikes on perches, even leaving food out that was covered in wasabi. The birds did NOT like wasabi, bet every time you chased one off with that ten more came in.

LOL!
The birds here also tried to eat the beam, but as they can't they just still being there doing nothing lol

D

Deleted member 8382

I took a red and a green laser with me to the Zoo one month ago and no animal reacted to them. I was pretty disappointed. I expected the felines to follow them and I wanted to make the tiger run a bit, but nothing :(

I know that lasers in general cause the following things to occur with homosapien type animals.

general fascination, excitement, relationship issues, plummeting bank balances, strong urges to interact with other homosapiens who have also been exposed to laser light, general fiddling and experimentation and strong feelings of frustration when the laser light is taken away.

hahahaha
I can confirm this

DJNY

I took a red and a green laser with me to the Zoo one month ago and no animal reacted to them. I was pretty disappointed. I expected the felines to follow them and I wanted to make the tiger run a bit, but nothing :(

I´ll do this experience the next week! Maybe only your Spanish animals are such boring ;)