Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Struggling to put 3.8mm diode in to housing

Platupus999

I am struggling to put a 3.8mm diode into its housing. My usual approach to putting in diodes is to bash it in with some metal tools however due to the small size of the diode and the static sensitivity of it, i am struggling to get it in without killing the diode.
I do own a vice but im not sure what to do as the pins get in the way of me just pushing it in.

What method do you reccomend to put the diode into its housing?

gazer101

You can find them even cheaper with some research

Hi,
DTR also sells these press tools . They come in 3.8mm , 5.5mm , and 9mm . Buy the set that includes a press in and a press out toll with the guiding sleeve. Do it the right way , save the diode from the trash can. Go to DTR laser shop .com
Rich:)

I am struggling to put a 3.8mm diode into its housing. My usual approach to putting in diodes is to bash it in with some metal tools however due to the small size of the diode and the static sensitivity of it, i am struggling to get it in without killing the diode.
I do own a vice but im not sure what to do as the pins get in the way of me just pushing it in.

What method do you reccomend to put the diode into its housing?
agree regarding NEED to get a press.

I don't know you, but somewhere in my head, I formed a picture of you BASHING poor defenseless diodes into housings with a hammer and my opinion of you dropped tremendously :cry:

Ingenuity is one thing, but please read a little more, it will definitely improve the quality of builds.

In addition to heat and current, diodes can be very sensitive to impact. You may be significantly shortening the life on some of your diodes otherwise.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Oh my gosh ... why not use the back half of the aixiz module in the vice? I used to do that before I got a press tool... it's far better than bashing it in with random tools

Platupus999

agree regarding NEED to get a press.

I don't know you, but somewhere in my head, I formed a picture of you BASHING poor defenseless diodes into housings with a hammer and my opinion of you dropped tremendously :cry:

Ingenuity is one thing, but please read a little more, it will definitely improve the quality of builds.

In addition to heat and current, diodes can be very sensitive to impact. You may be significantly shortening the life on some of your diodes otherwise.
Do you know a place to get a press set in the UK,
I don't really want to spend all that money on a press set that i may only use once :(

Platupus999

Oh my gosh ... why not use the back half of the aixiz module in the vice? I used to do that before I got a press tool... it's far better than bashing it in with random tools
the file attached is the module i have got, what am i meant to do?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    402.8 KB · Views: 2

Commander J. Bloodmaker

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find ya handy. Buy a mill, lathe, and, and. Lol. Jk. Well if you have a shop, make a press. If not, buying one is going to save you a lot of frustrating moments and maybe a few strokes. Nothing like toasting a $200 diode from using a vice and a hammer. 😆.

nmbusa

Yes the hole is slightly to small but i believe if i use a washer or a nut in between the pins and the back end of the housing it may work
open it up a little man with a drill if its slightly to small

Hi,
Did you buy this in 3.8mm it really helps. its self centering. It will press the diode in solid to the 12mm module..
Rich:)