Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stop pointing lasers at planes! (on cnn news)

I'm betting it's stupid kids who buy the pointers from radioshack or amazon. Cheap pointers can be had for a few bucks and "pranksters" don't know what nm or a mW even means.  I'm not sure of the solution. I need a job so I'd happy become the new airport laser protection officer. :cool: I'd use a telescope, and goggle earth to get a good read on the laser's source, then call in the police do what? In order to catch a person for a crime, they have to caught doing it. Which is a problem here.

The more attention it gets, the more copycats. Aside from removing lasers from walk-in retail stores. I'm unsure what to do. Age limits? I'm hoping this story dies down and some slick politician does not decide to create a new law.

Hemlock Mike said:
The FDA is busy these days watching pet food, bad pharmacutical drugs and laser pointers to cover bad peanut butter.  We need bigger government.

Mike
Mike bigger gov. is not the answer. It starts, as said, in other posters in this forum . If they want to be naive thinking that they won't get caught LET THEM. There is someone on the block just waiting to nark the laser dude out. If this is'nt the way it is then you should consider it to be. SAFER THAT WAY!
There is no easy answer and people on this forum aren't helping cause if they where so passionate about the subject, then like with other intrest groups would consider some organized movement for the impending battle on capital hill and there to my knowledge isn't one of those.

I think the laser industry as a hole is not even worried about some small hobbist group and the complications that arise from impending
legislation. They might incourage such laws. This would seem a goal of theirs cause undoubtly they could generate revenue.

Now, if there was a member on the forum that has a profession in law aka. lawyer ::) and felt as strongly as I ,and, I hope the rest of us do then circle the wagons and lets get it started.

Mike , and others this is my opinion.  While I am a class one nobody I can still remember my first 5 mW red back in the 80's and man how far we have come. Well all should be proud most  especially the ol'time deacons Igor, JAY, Laserbee, Dave, John, Deadal
and many others have turned this into a realdeal hobbie just as real as fishing and others.

Thank you for  reading and again just my opinion. ;)

Benm

Oh well, i guess the police should just try to arrest the idiots causing dangrous situations.

I'm quite sure more people are injured and endangered by, say, baseball bats then by lasers, but i don't see a ban on baseball bats in the US ;) Interestingly, carryin baseball bats is illegal in many european countries unless you can make it seem at least somewhat likely you will play baseball ;)

Benm

Must be a cultural thing ;)
I heard a uk policeman refer to a fire extinguisher as 'the big red key that opens all doors'... but i'm sure they make interesting weapons of opportunity too ;p

Wow so many so soon, I really though it was alot less then this.

I knew it was bad but wow there are to many dumb people figuring out how to buy lasers. I don't understand how someone can be so unaware of the danger...

laserwanabe said:
Wow so many so soon, I really though it was alot less then this.

I knew it was bad but wow there are to many dumb people figuring out how to buy lasers.  I don't understand how someone can be so unaware of the danger...

Haven't you ever met that type of person before? They aren't unaware they aren't even aware. They don't think. To them it's just a "funny prank" and they like the attention for it.
I did it for the LOLZ
30aqq29.jpg
In the end I like to think people do get what they deserve at least.

jander6442 said:
While I am a class one nobody

No, you are a class 1, 2, and 3 nobody. ;)

jander6442 said:
Thank you for reading and again just my opinion.

Thank you for wasting 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone has one and they usually stink. In your case its more like a sewer.

Ieon

laser83 said:
CNN video: Lasers aimed at planes 148 indents of lasers being pointed at planes so far this year according to CNN!  :mad: Please don't do this. Lasers will be banned in the US at this rate. I hope the idiots who do did this were caught and served [highlight]20[/highlight]or more years jail time in state prison.  In Seattle in one night a dozen incidents reported of green lasers being pointed at planes!

No accidents have yet been based on lasers yet the potential exists because the high intensity beams can impair vision and distract the pilot. Trying to safely land an airplane and suddenly dealing with blindness or temporary blindness at an inappropriate time of flight. Because of the potential danger the FBI has made it a priority to investigate laser incidents.

You don't hear of guns being shot off at planes don't do it with a laser! Hundreds of lives are at stake! This isn't', funny and it's messing with my new interest.

Fixed your post.

Shining lasers at planes is serious business, I won't be surprized if somone eventally does make one crash and is put in prison for life, its mass murder, kills tons of people on the plane not to mention the people on the ground and the crushed buildings.

Tech_Junkie said:
[quote author=jander6442 link=1235490906/16#17 date=1235582294]While I am a class one nobody

No, you are a class 1, 2, and 3 nobody. ;)

jander6442 said:
Thank you for reading and again just my opinion.

Thank you for wasting 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone has one and they usually stink. In your case its more like a sewer.

[/quote]

Now who's spamming, anyways the hell cares about that "3 minutes" that you wasted it's more like you wasted 3 minute's typing that comment and YOU being a A-hole.

What you guys are forgetting is that there are actually 'bad guys' and those bad guys might like to crash a plane with a laser and dont care one bit about our legal, legit, safely practiced hobby.

Getting all worked up over warning each other not to do this (and I think it is common sence to all of us here) wont do any good at all.

There are bad guys and theres no controlling them (short of police and jail).

Why don't you and Jander get a room ;D You can invite Wes and have a group hug.
Starting useless threads and bumping dead threads is spamming. Me having a laugh at your expense in a post is not. And you two make it way to easy.

Ieon

Tech_Junkie said:
Why don't you and [highlight]Jander[/highlight] get a room  ;D You can invite [highlight]Wes[/highlight] and have a group hug.
Starting [highlight]useless threads[/highlight] and [highlight]bumping dead threads[/highlight] is spamming. Me having a laugh at your expense in a post is not. And you two make it way to easy.

1.I dont know who Jander is.

2. I'm no where NEAR as bad as Wes.

3.I don't start useless threads.

4.Bumping threads that are good threads.

Ieon said:

4.[highlight]Bumping threads[/highlight] that are good threads.
Hey Ian...

So... you just admitted that you ARE "AusLasersSuck..... :eek:
Perhaps it's "c0ldshadow" time.... ::).....
Or.... maybe wait for the next useless Bump instead.... :-/

Jerry

Ieon

lasersbee said:
[quote author=Ieon link=1235490906/16#28 date=1235868706]

4.[highlight]Bumping threads[/highlight] that are good threads.
Hey Ian...

So... you just admitted that you ARE "AusLasersSuck..... :eek:
Perhaps it's "c0ldshadow" time.... ::).....
Or....  maybe wait for the next useless Bump instead.... :-/

Jerry[/quote]

I only bumped this thread! http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1225895386 cause its a great thread that should be stickied.