Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

StoneTek 808 Pump LD

SenKat sent me a couple new laser diodes to test.  These are 5.6 mm 808nM pump diodes we recognize from the days of modding pointers.  I have purchased a couple of these from Tony on ebay for $38 plus $$$hipping  :mad:

These diodes are standard size but have no window and SenKat says they are rated at 200 mW.  I mounted the first one in an Aixiz style module for testing through a plastic lens assembly.  Testing is made here with no TEC cooling, regulated power supply and a Scientech 365 power meter.  Current increments are made at 20 mA intervals and the diode gave me about 15 mW per 20 mA step right to the top.  

I stopped my testing at 0.500 AMPS !!!!  Reading 374 mW !!!!

Now the bad news ---- As you all recall from the modding days, go over 300 mA and you're risking your diode.  I ran this diode later at 400 mA (270 mW) for a life test.  It was fun burning stuff for about 25 minutes  :(  
The second diode has been run for over 4 hours at 200 mW (320 mA) showing no degredation in power out.

This is a good little diode for those of you wanting to experiment with IR or give life to that poor old greenie you toasted  :D  StoneTek tells me he has a limited qualtity of these and for a price far less than ebay.

Mike

Attachments

• SenKat808.jpg
    SenKat808.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 162

iccy

wow! nearly 400mw for $7.49 :eek: (shortening the life of course)
Still a great deal if you are at 200mw!

I might as well add some of these to the cart next time I shop there!

Remember, I push diodes to distruction to find the limits so you don't have to...
Stay at ~200 mW and it will burn plastic and stuff.
Also, I found that the plastic lens and the glass lens provided by StoneTek give the same power output.... I was surprised by this.
The beam is hard to see and focus because of its wavelength and dangers looking at the beam but these seem to focus better that others I have experimented with. I don't know why - maybe the lack of a window.

Mike

That graph is really linear, usually they curve out towards the end.

I would love to play with a few of these diodes but I don't have goggles for this wavelength. :(

I stopped at 500 mA because I could not believe the little wires in there could take any more. I never found the "knee" in the curve and I think COD was imminent. Must have been since it died after 25 minutes at 270 mW :( This is my first one where I stopped before the knee.

Mike

Thanks for the concise measurements, and data, Mike ! I realize, far more than most that I intrude on your life a whole lot, placing demands on you for testing of new stuffs - but I cannot argue with cold, hard, data - nor your valued impressions - so THANK YOU once again for testing these for me - it is greatly appreciated !

No problem -- the last one will go into my poor dead Kaidoman 50 ;D
I have too many laser things to do and so little time :(

Mike

Mike,
Do you know the voltage required for these? I bought one, and I would like to run it from a single 3.7v battery, but I am not sure if the "Flex-Drive will "buck-down" this low, (I am guessing it is 2-2.5volts).
Thanks,
DH

My drive voltage ranged from 1.7 to 1.9 Volts DC. You will want to test the driver so as not to over drive it.

Mike

Benm

Hemlock Mike said:
No problem -- the last one will go into my poor dead Kaidoman 50  ;D

Please post how that turns out, might be nice to have these diodes for repair or even one as a spare.

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
My drive voltage ranged from 1.7 to 1.9 Volts DC.  You will want to test the driver so as not to over drive it.

Mike

Hey Mike, I'm going to try one of these diodes to replace the diode in a 5mW leadlight module for the Mighty Mini Laser projector mod...

I'm going to use a FlexDrive. To set the driver current, should I use the same 'dummy load' as I would for a red? Also, is the pin connection the same as a red?
Thanks,
Jay

jayrob

Woe... Glad I asked. Thanks! And the voltage draw of this diode? For the dummy load to set the driver... Same as a red?
Jay