Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Star Trek TOS Phaser's Laser Modded For Sale..

GSS

Oh noooooo!
It always seems to happen like that:(
Just tell me the battery's weren't in? or near the phaser that the thief could of put in? That could be a huge problem :(

Last edited:

With the heat of summer it is likely dangerous to keep Li-ion batteries inside your car. I have never stored any of my lasers there even for a moment. Aside from the thief using it in illegal ways, what concerns are there?

GSS

Not knowing it's a toy prop thats laser modded.
I label them each with the specific diode, amps and lens but that means nothing to someone who is not into lasers and also no laser danger stickers.
Probably ok I guess as iv'e never even seen someone even stare into a flashlight, "expect on the stupid utube videos"
If the thief even bothered at this point to put 2 regular AAA's in the handle thats no issue either.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I took a break from the hobby. I'm in the California Bay Area and my car is in a car port- not very hot. I'd left it in the trunk because I was taking it to show a friend.

With the heat of summer it is likely dangerous to keep Li-ion batteries inside your car. I have never stored any of my lasers there even for a moment. Aside from the thief using it in illegal ways, what concerns are there?
ok

Not knowing it's a toy prop thats laser modded.
I label them each with the specific diode, amps and lens but that means nothing to someone who is not into lasers and also no laser danger stickers.
Probably ok I guess as iv'e never even seen someone even stare into a flashlight, "expect on the stupid utube videos"
If the thief even bothered at this point to put 2 regular AAA's in the handle thats no issue either.

I'm hoping there were no issues. Its been 6 months now and nothing has appeared on the news. I did get one of the Starfleet Phasers wth 3 Watt laser-the more expensive Diamond Select. NOT a 3 Watt by any means. It measures around 600 mW/

GSS

Hi Pelagius,
so you got a TOS Diamond Select!:)
I just didn't have the patients to build one of those again:(
Who was the builder? There are 2 people that come to mind. Is it using 2 16340's in the handle in series?

Last edited:
Hi Pelagius,
so you got a TOS Diamond Select!:)
I just didn't have the patients to build one of those again:(
Who was the builder? There are 2 people that come to mind. Is it using 2 16340's in the handle in series?
Hi! "Starfleet South" on Ebay. Looks and sounds great. Laser was NOT 3watt and was hitting the side of the "emitter" tip on the phaser. I bent the tip a little and got a better spot but only got 600 mW out on my Laserland LPM. The beam from your build was visible in deep shade and of course would burn a hole in a cardboard box fairly quickly. The Starfleet South was Nowhere as good a laser as the 2W Rubies I bought from you. I'd buy again if you decide to make one-in a minute! Battery pack in the handle-I don't know what type. I assume it's two 16340's. No focus control. The page said "NO RETURNS due to the delicate nature of electronics." The seller does not have an LPM and said the laser was listed as 3Watt. He did not know the make or model of the diode.

I forgot to mention- he suggested cutting off the end of the tip to make a better aperture since the beam was diffracting on the side.

GSS

Hi! "Starfleet South" on Ebay. Looks and sounds great. Laser was NOT 3watt and was hitting the side of the "emitter" tip on the phaser. I bent the tip a little and got a better spot but only got 600 mW out on my Laserland LPM. The beam from your build was visible in deep shade and of course would burn a hole in a cardboard box fairly quickly. The Starfleet South was Nowhere as good a laser as the 2W Rubies I bought from you. I'd buy again if you decide to make one-in a minute! Battery pack in the handle-I don't know what type. I assume it's two 16340's. No focus control. The page said "NO RETURNS due to the delicate nature of electronics." The seller does not have an LPM and said the laser was listed as 3Watt. He did not know the make or model of the diode.
Starfleet South was exactly 1 of the builders I was thinking of.
He's only got 2 builds showing on ebay now, but take a look at his "Into the Darkness" phaser and you can see the front plastic is melted because there is no heatsink, just a 12mm module.
He also uses the word "Nominal" when describing the power to cover himself and admits his 7W laser is 5W or less due to the power source.
I'm guessing yours has a charger you plug into the handle and you don't have the typical sized lithium's battery's in it. He's listing a 3.7V source on one of his builds and I can't see a boost driver do 3W's?

There's no way if he's building these that he doesn't know what diode is in it:whistle: and he's using the word "Nominal"!
Other than the power are you happy with it? The nozzle issue can be fixed? Power wise increase i'm not sure as to how he built it??
I have a idea of the good money you paid and wondering if there is still a way to get your money back with ebay because you have metered it.

If I get up the energy I might try another Rubies for you.

This is Starfleets South build with no heatsinking. Look at the plastic tip.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    443 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

GSS

Just maby I can swap out the front on this one. The whole front nozzle/module is from a 501B flashlght build doing about 1.5W but it's a used decanned A140.
Iv'e added a machined AL knob up top at the back that Lifetime17 built, metal key ways on top of the P1 to look like the dials and some extra weight inside with ball bearings and small keyways on both sides. The back fins are also made from AL.
The AL front would have to come off and be like your other Rubies that got stolen.

Attachments

• IMG_20181220_104827.jpg
    IMG_20181220_104827.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20181220_104716.jpg
    IMG_20181220_104716.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20181220_123819.jpg
    IMG_20181220_123819.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20181220_082153.jpg
    IMG_20181220_082153.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

GSS

Putting a NUBM444 diode in one of these toys is a very bad idea. They put out a lot of waste heat with hardly any heat sinking.
Yup, he using just the 12mm module and who even knows if it's a copper one or a Axis brass one??

Hi! Here is the spot after I bent the tip to get some semblance of a spot-not so good. I need to buy a Dremel tool to cut back the glue spotted plastic tip. You can see that the beam is scattering from hitting the inside of the tip. It was worse originally. Too late for a refund I think-and the seller was not about to. "Nominal 3 Watt!" I suspect it MAY reach 1 Watt after I cut the tip back and get a spot-assuming there is no GLUE on the lens. I also asked how much current it was running- no idea!

Starfleet South was exactly 1 of the builders I was thinking of.
He's only got 2 builds showing on ebay now, but take a look at his "Into the Darkness" phaser and you can see the front plastic is melted because there is no heatsink, just a 12mm module.
He also uses the word "Nominal" when describing the power to cover himself and admits his 7W laser is 5W or less due to the power source.
I'm guessing yours has a charger you plug into the handle and you don't have the typical sized lithium's battery's in it. He's listing a 3.7V source on one of his builds and I can't see a boost driver do 3W's?

There's no way if he's building these that he doesn't know what diode is in it:whistle: and he's using the word "Nominal"!
Other than the power are you happy with it? The nozzle issue can be fixed? Power wise increase i'm not sure as to how he built it??
I have a idea of the good money you paid and wondering if there is still a way to get your money back with ebay because you have metered it.

If I get up the energy I might try another Rubies for you.

This is Starfleets South build with no heatsinking. Look at the plastic tip.

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4
Just maby I can swap out the front on this one. The whole front nozzle/module is from a 501B flashlght build doing about 1.5W but it's a used decanned A140.
Iv'e added a machined AL knob up top at the back that Lifetime17 built, metal key ways on top of the P1 to look like the dials and some extra weight inside with ball bearings and small keyways on both sides. The back fins are also made from AL.
The AL front would have to come off and be like your other Rubies that got stolen.
Hi! Promising! Id really like to replace the one that was stolen. Granted it did not look as good as the Diamond Select=but it was WAY better as a LASER! I was much happier with your build.

GSS

Hi! Here is the spot after I bent the tip to get some semblance of a spot-not so good. I need to buy a Dremel tool to cut back the glue spotted plastic tip. You can see that the beam is scattering from hitting the inside of the tip. It was worse originally. Too late for a refund I think-and the seller was not about to. "Nominal 3 Watt!" I suspect it MAY reach 1 Watt after I cut the tip back and get a spot-assuming there is no GLUE on the lens. I also asked how much current it was running- no idea!
Yep, thats a pretty long plastic tip. It would take some really good centering to get a laser beam straight through..
Look at JonPaultrek12 on ebay. I'm pretty certain that StarFleet south guy got the AL nozzle and plastic tip from him. This way you can see how the plastic tip is attached. I don't know if it's pressed in and glued from the back or the front.
It would be better to cut it and or drill the hole bigger with it off.

Yep, thats a pretty long plastic tip. It would take some really good centering to get a laser beam straight through..
Look at JonPaultrek12 on ebay. I'm pretty certain that StarFleet south guy got the AL nozzle and plastic tip from him. This way you can see how the plastic tip is attached. I don't know if it's pressed in and glued from the back or the front.
It would be better to cut it and or drill the hole bigger with it off.
Thanks! I'll take a look! A Dremel tool is in my immediate future!