Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Staples 5mw

I went out to staples and bought a $20 red laser pen (5mw). It takes 2 AAA batteries.
Is there anyway I can disassemble it, and replace the diode with a DVD-Burner diode? Or even a DL-DVD burner diode?
And then like, kick more power into it somehow?

Thanx.

Attachments

• laser2.jpg
    laser2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,319

Helios

Yes but you will need a diode and a new driver. The driver in this will have no where near enough current even if its adjustable.

Last edited:
You also have to remember that most likely its not using a 5..6mm diodes but those flat kind of diodes.

If that is the case you will have to get a module custom made to fit in the pen. Or get creative and see if you can modify the pen to hold a diode.

If you want to get creative and it is the flat kind on LD it might have the same assembly as this laser i modded here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/diy-cheap-ir-laser-pen-5-under-63445.html#post905653

You can fallow the steps in there to mount the diode. But i cant guarantee its the same setup.

Thanks, to both of you.
It looks like the same pen, but the front is going to need something more than just wiggling out. It's pretty tight in there!

I was not showing the thread because it looks like the same pen. But i was showing you just in case it uses the flat type diode to fallow the steps on how to mount your new diode.;)

Last edited:

Helios

To be honest its going to be a lot more work than you probably are anticipating.

My advise would be:

1. Do not take apart your 5mW pen laser (yet)

2. Buy an Aixiz module, rckstr driver, LPC-815 sled and build a test load. Use these pieces along with lots of research on this forum to build your first laser.

3. Then decide if you want to pull apart your working laser to replace the diode.

go return that laser. and buy a complete pen kit from a member here!!

it will save you headache

michael.

I think I'm going to return it lol.
Which member can I buy one from? Could I get instructions with it, and how much would it be?
I just want a simple balloon popping laser for now, until i get into this more. I'm extremely interested in these :p

just go to the buy sell trade section, and the laser pro shop section.

if you want a balloon popper, i sugest a blu ray laser.

hobby box $4
blu ray diode $10
parts to make own driver $6
batteries and charger.....?
aixiz module like $4

BAM, go make it!!!