Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SSY-1 creates pattern on CD (PICS)

While messing around with my laser head, i decided to see what it would do to the highly reflective side of a CD (i know, high powered laser, reflective surface, what could go wrong! :p). Well, much to my surprise it blasted a nice clean hole through the shiny foil, leaving be hind a nice clean circle of plastic. A few more shots yeilded the same result until one shot hit the edge of the CD and reflected inside the clear plastic disc, taking off bits of the shiny foil as it went along. What i like most about it is that you can see with each bounce the lasers power is being burned away and the resulting mark is reduced.

Attachments

• PIC001.JPG
    PIC001.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 458
  • PIC002.JPG
    PIC002.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 359
  • PIC003.JPG
    PIC003.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 401
  • PIC004.JPG
    PIC004.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 371

High powered pulsed lasers can do some neat stuff - I wonder if you could pump a KTP without blowing it up

That is really cool. I haven't built a power-supply for mine yet, but I will have to try this.

You can pump KTP with these. There is an article on Sam's Laser FAQ about a guy who uses a SSY-1 to pump KTP and record holographic images, much faster and less shakey than normal. Just search for SSY-1.

Gryphon ---

The SSY-1 is amazing. Even pulses are fun and it appears that you are aware of the dangers. I actually observed mine ionizing air in front of a 5" FL lens. My wife didn't understand --------------- Enjoy.

HMike

I had thought about pumping KTP to get green, but the only KTP crystals i have are the combo crystal sets from laser pens. I don't know how effectively i can seperate them and still retain the faces of the crystals.

I actually observed mine ionizing air in front of a 5" FL lens.

Wow, i've used lens with mine before to blast holes in foil, but never notice any ionizing, maybe cause my eyes were always closed for firing :D
I'll have to try that!

I had thought about pumping KTP to get green, but the only KTP crystals i have are the combo crystal sets from laser pens. I don't know how effectively i can seperate them and still retain the faces of the crystals.

I doubt you'd be able to separate bonded crystals without destroying them, you'd need to get a plain 'ol KTP

What kind of power-supply do you guys use to charge the pulse-cap/s. I am using the original SSY-1 900v cap and trigger-board.
-Barry

I didn't feel like sourcing a "proper PFN" so i made one with the circuit and caps out of disposible cameras. I uses 8 caps wired into two banks. The eight are charged in parallel because of the limitations of the circuit. Then, for firirng, i split the bank into two banks of four and wire those in series for 600-660V across the lamp. Then a ninth cap is dicharged through the circuit's trigger transformer to ionize the lamp. All the switching nonsense is controlled by sturdy switches, to keep my fingers safe :D

Not the simpiliest solution, but it made a nice project

Krutz

amazing, the marks on that cd! would never ever have thought thats possible! would have bet it would lase right through the first reflection-spot, and leave the cd. ..that means the pulse is quite long? so it slowly and evenly melts the foil at all those spots.. :p

with that power, forget the yag in front of the kpt! its transparent enough, there will be more than enough left to reach the kpt. it will be a one-shot pulsing, try to to a video of it :)

heck, with that pulsepower you could use plain KPT crystals you grew yourself and will surely see a few green photons! :) someone write about experiments with KPT. its used for something somewhat common, so you can buy it, in an impure form..

manuel