Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spilled drink on computer

I was making a protein shake and the lid popped off. The shake exploded all over my laptop. I got off what I could, but I think some soaked in through the keyboard, and now my comma key doesn't work. Sometimes it won't work at all, and sometimes it will type a line of commas like I am holding the button down when I am not.

Also, a bit of shake seeped behind the screen. Is there any way to fix these problems?

-Mark

I would immediately turn it off, disassemble it, soak the keyboard in water to remove the shake, then dry it off as best you can, then allow it to dry naturally for a week before putting it back together and turning it on.

I dunno about the screen though, how bad is it?

Yeah you'll want to get it cleaned out before it dries and makes a permanent mess - clean it out as soon as possible.

I don't know how to disassemble it or anything, this was last night. I'm at school now. I turned it off before I went to bed but that's it. I didn't want to make it worse.

1337 post? Kind of a fail.

-Mark

+1 vote to taking the keyboard off and soaking - it's the best solution. Distilled water if possible - ask your chemistry department. It's usually as simple as peeling back the plastic shroud near the hinges/top of the keyboard, unscrewing 2 screws, and unhooking one ribbon cable. If you need to clean the screen, use a damp cloth (wrung out, so damp but not dripping), then wipe it off with a lint-free cloth for the best clean. If it's got into the internals of the LCD and is causing a problem then you may have to disassemble, otherwise I'd tentatively say clean what you can see and leave the rest.

EDIT: loving the tags, positive and useful as ever, but who keeps doing it? :p

If you look at the bottom of the laptop, there should be several screws with a keyboard symbol and an arrow. Just unscrew those and disconnect the ribbon cables...

Could you let me know what brand/model it is?

Chances are I probably have a similar one here at the shop, and I should be able to give you directions on how to remove the keyboard.

Ash

+1 vote to taking the keyboard off and soaking - it's the best solution. Distilled water if possible -
Hmm,.... For some reason, I thought water was bad for electronics. :undecided: I recommend using Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to get the rest of the milkshake off your internal parts, not water.

Keyboard units are relatively well sealed, distilled/deionised water is not really conductive, and won't leave a conductive residue once you let it dry. It's probably cheaper and more readily available, but go with whatever is easier.

JLSE

Some keyboards have little 'slots' on the edges of the KB frame. One screw from underneath is removed and then a small flat screwdriver is pushed into the slots popping out spring loaded clips.

Take care in removing the wiring for the KB, some are really delicate.

After washing the KB, DO NOT use a hair dryer in aid of speeding things up. The plastic is so thin on some keys that they quickly shrink and warp, then pop off. This all of course applies to laptops.

I spilled a huge glass of coke on mine...twice :whistle:

Could you let me know what brand/model it is?

Chances are I probably have a similar one here at the shop, and I should be able to give you directions on how to remove the keyboard.

It's a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7428 laptop. I think that the shake might have soaked in by now. I haven't turned it on or disassembled it yet, and I won't until I'm absolutely sure of what I'm doing.

-Mark

zaery

Unplug the power cord, remove the battery, and prop it up partway open and upside-down, kind of like this: /\

Then wait a week, and put the battery and power cord back in, and tell us how it goes.

I have removed the keyboard, cleaned it out, and then I reinstalled it. It might be slightly moist in there still. Should I open it back up to let it dry?

-Mark